VHS to DVDs to ? - Newby Question

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Gob Stopper, Apr 7, 2006.

  1. Gob Stopper

    Gob Stopper Guest

    I'm very much a newby to all of this DVD stuff.

    We have a bunch of VHS tapes that my wife made of the kids over the
    years. None of them have much on them. I'd like to archive them to my PC
    and edit them into one file.

    I bought a CyberHome DVD Recorder which seems to do a pretty good job
    saving the VHS video onto DVD+R discs.

    I have a DVD reader, and I can view the recorded discs on my PC.

    What do I need to get the data off of the DVD's?

    What format should I save to? What are the pluses/minuses?

    What SW should I use to put them together?

    Freeware/Shareware is preferred, but reasonably priced Buyware is fine, too.

    Thanks for your help!

    GS
    Gob Stopper, Apr 7, 2006

  2. Gob Stopper

    Mark Burns Guest

    Many of recommend and use:

    1) VideoRedo for frame accurate mpeg editing. DVD Recorders record in
    either a .VRO or .VOB format, which is a special envelope for mpeg
    files. VideoRedo can trim and make sure that the Video and Audio stay
    in sync before joining with other videos. $50 with 30-day trial.

    Another very good mpeg editor, but for different reasons such as adding
    titles and effects is the Womble Video Wizard. $100 with 30-day trial.

    2) TmpgEnc DVD Author is a very good authoring tool for putting menus
    and chapters on the DVD. It is very open to the user adding their own
    backgrounds and buttons. Easy to use and very reliable. $50 with
    30-day trial.

    3) DVD-Shrink is great for making that authored DVD folder that is just
    a little too large for a single layer DVD fit. It also makes a good
    ..ISO file from the authored DVD folder. Freeware.

    4) ImgBurn is a great utility for buring the DVD on the PC. It is from
    the famous, or infamous, but alway brilliant Lightning!UK. Free/Donate
    ware.

    5) Look at an Epson R220 inkjet printer that will print on inkjet
    printable CDs/DVDs. This is the finishing touch for personal archiving
    of DVDs. About $90 at Sam's Club last time that I looked. Inkjet
    recordable Verbatims are available there at $44/100.

    6) Always make two or more copies of your DVDs, as if one should go bad
    there will be a backup. DVD Recording for consumers is dye based,
    therefore not as long lived as glass pressed commercial DVDs. Keeping
    your VHS tapes is also a good idea here as a backup. Always store both
    DVDs and VHS standing up in a controlled environment.

    DVD Shrink and ImgBurn are available from www.mrbass.org which also has
    some very good guides for newbies.

    I would recommend starting with the TmpgEnc DVD Author so that
    information about who, what, when, where, and why can be added to the
    film. They also make great unexpected preasents.

    If there are any video/audio sync issues after joining videos, then
    VideoRedo can be used to fix join the original transfers and clear this
    problem up.

    If one does want to get fancy with the video, such as adding captions
    or fancy transitions, then Womble is a good purchase.

    Do not convert the VHS to AVI. Keep it in mpeg for the best results
    here. This would not be my advice coming from a MiniDV camera, but
    this is starting out as VHS. Direct recording of VHS tp mpeg provides
    the best quality, imho.

    Also, capture your VHS at the highest quality setting on your DVD
    recorder. One hour of good video is better than two or four hours of
    bad quality.

    Cheers...

    Mark
    Mark Burns, Apr 7, 2006

  3. Gob Stopper

    canon paora Guest

    Quick and easy - almost.

    Get DVDshrink (free) and use reauthor.
    You will need to load the main file repeatedly for each clip you want
    to save - you use the set start/end frame option - at different points
    of your complete movie.
    Backup to your harddrive when you have all the clips you need from that
    disc.

    You can do another disc or as many discs as you need but remember where
    you put your backup - folder name?

    Then use TMPGenc DVD Author ( free for a month) to combine all the
    clips as chapters on a new dvd.

    Burn a new dvd - I forget whether TMPGenc Author does the burning or if
    you need to use something like Nero.

    That's it briefly.
    canon paora, Apr 7, 2006
  4. Gob Stopper

    TheFug. Guest

    On 6 Apr 2006 18:37:02 -0700, "Mark Burns" <>
    wrote:

    >3) DVD-Shrink is great for making that authored DVD folder that is just
    >a little too large for a single layer DVD fit. It also makes a good
    >.ISO file from the authored DVD folder. Freeware.

    That's only at issue, if the dvd recorder burns Dual Layer discs...
    -- The Fug
    TheFug., Apr 18, 2006
  5. Gob Stopper

    Clarissa Guest

    "TheFug." <> wrote in message
    > On 6 Apr 2006 18:37:02 -0700, "Mark Burns" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>3) DVD-Shrink is great for making that authored DVD folder that is just
    >>a little too large for a single layer DVD fit. It also makes a good
    >>.ISO file from the authored DVD folder. Freeware.

    > That's only at issue, if the dvd recorder burns Dual Layer discs...
    > -- The Fug

    It might be a good Idea to transfer all the small recordings to one
    two hour VCR tape first. So you will have a straight through disc.
    Then read the book and follow the istructions to record from VCR\
    to DVD. There is a setting on the recorder that will let you burn
    2 (or more hours ) on a disc. It took me all day to find out how to
    hook up the equipment --then I read the instructions. CF
    Clarissa, May 5, 2006
  6. On 5/04/2006, Clarissa posted this:
    > "TheFug." <> wrote in message
    >> On 6 Apr 2006 18:37:02 -0700, "Mark Burns" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>3) DVD-Shrink is great for making that authored DVD folder that is just
    >>>a little too large for a single layer DVD fit. It also makes a good
    >>>.ISO file from the authored DVD folder. Freeware.

    >> That's only at issue, if the dvd recorder burns Dual Layer discs...
    >> -- The Fug

    > It might be a good Idea to transfer all the small recordings to one
    > two hour VCR tape first. So you will have a straight through disc.
    > Then read the book and follow the istructions to record from VCR\
    > to DVD. There is a setting on the recorder that will let you burn
    > 2 (or more hours ) on a disc. It took me all day to find out how to
    > hook up the equipment --then I read the instructions. CF

    I can't recommend this for two reasons.

    1. Another generation of recording will lose quality, and with VHS, you
    can't afford much loss.

    2. Any editing or authoring program will do fine with a bunch of
    separate files, so there's no need to use up the extra time to put it
    all on one tape.

    3. (OK, I can't count :) With a handful of short files, you can
    rearrange the sequence over and over again, until you get it right,
    before burning it. Hmm. Maybe that's *not* an advantage...

    Gino

    --
    Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
    letters617blochg3251