    i know my computer wont handle this so i am looking to get a new one, but i
    dont have alot of money to spend what are the minum requirements of a
    system to do this?

    Flagg, Jan 13, 2004

  2. Flagg

    Night_Seer Guest

    Flagg wrote:
    > i know my computer wont handle this so i am looking to get a new one,
    > but i dont have alot of money to spend what are the minum
    > requirements of a system to do this?

    What kind of computer do you have right now?

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Jan 13, 2004

  3. Flagg

    Flagg Guest

    350MHz Pentium, 10G hard drive, 128MB ram dont know brand of graphics card
    but its 32MB and running windows 98

    Flagg, Jan 13, 2004
  4. Flagg

    Chet Guest

    1. Video capture device to get the video and audio into the computer. If
    the computer has USB2 you should be able to connect the capture hardware
    through that port. Check out the specs and decide what features you want.
    Some come with video editing software.
    2. Enough hard drive to hold however much video you want to put on a DVD.
    In rough terms allow about 8 GB for a full length DVD.
    3. Obviously, you need a DVD burner. Prices are coming down and some
    computers are coming with them already installed. For longest life have a
    read-only CD drive so you don't wear out the DVD burner drive reading
    CDROMs.
    4. Lots of RAM
    5. Any CPU speed over 800 MHz should be able to do your basic job but I
    would recommend 2.4 Ghz Pentium to be able to handle your needs as you get
    into more complicated video editing, etc. in the future.

    Chet, Jan 13, 2004
  5. Flagg

    Night_Seer Guest

    Chet wrote:
    > 1. Video capture device to get the video and audio into the computer.
    > If the computer has USB2 you should be able to connect the capture
    > hardware through that port. Check out the specs and decide what
    > features you want. Some come with video editing software.
    > 2. Enough hard drive to hold however much video you want to put on a
    > DVD. In rough terms allow about 8 GB for a full length DVD.
    > 3. Obviously, you need a DVD burner. Prices are coming down and some
    > computers are coming with them already installed. For longest life
    > have a read-only CD drive so you don't wear out the DVD burner drive
    > reading CDROMs.
    > 4. Lots of RAM
    > 5. Any CPU speed over 800 MHz should be able to do your basic job but
    > I would recommend 2.4 Ghz Pentium to be able to handle your needs as
    > you get into more complicated video editing, etc. in the future.
    >
    > "Flagg" <flagg(nospam)@esbauman.com> wrote in message
    >> i know my computer wont handle this so i am looking to get a new
    >> one, but i dont have alot of money to spend what are the minum
    >> requirements of a system to do this?

    Sounds pretty good...stick to Pentiums as they are better for video
    encoding. Technically, you can only fit about 4GB to a DVD unless you
    plan on getting a future dual layer burner, which are not actually out
    yet. This should be plenty though, as you can use lower compression on
    VHS, as the signal is already not DVD quality.

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Jan 14, 2004