    image. Do any of the stand alone recorders have this feature?

    Thanks...
    -s-

    Steve, Oct 28, 2005

  2. "Steve" <> wrote:

    >I am transferring many VHS tapes over to DVD and would like to get comments
    >on the stand alone recorders that are out. The only one I tried (neighbor's)
    >didn't do the job like my computer is doing. It compresses the video too
    >much and makes it look horrible (to me). When I copy a 1 hour tape with the
    >computer it will fill a single layer DVD and it almost looks like an exact
    >image. Do any of the stand alone recorders have this feature?

    Are you sure you didn't overlook a setting on the recorder you tried? My
    CyberHome recorder has many choices for a balance between quality and
    recording time. The 2-hour mode gives good results from a VHS source. The
    8-hour mode is good enough for the crappy signals delivered by cable
    networks.

    Kimba W. Lion, Oct 28, 2005

  3. Steve

    Steve Guest

    The recorder I tried was in 2 hour mode. It wasn't a top of the line model,
    I wish I would have gotten the brand. But when I compared the one I recorded
    with the computer (filled the disk) and the one with the standalone there
    was a big difference, especially in fast moving sequences. Mostly what I am
    recording is baseball games, old baseball games and documentaries from
    Comiskey Park when it was still standing. I'm looking for a recorder that
    will do 1 hour on a single layer disk and use the whole disk if I ask it to,
    no compression. Thanks for your reply!

    -s-

    Steve, Oct 28, 2005
  4. On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 11:17:45 -0400, "Steve" <>
    wrote:

    >I am transferring many VHS tapes over to DVD and would like to get comments
    >on the stand alone recorders that are out. The only one I tried (neighbor's)
    >didn't do the job like my computer is doing. It compresses the video too
    >much and makes it look horrible (to me). When I copy a 1 hour tape with the
    >computer it will fill a single layer DVD and it almost looks like an exact
    >image. Do any of the stand alone recorders have this feature?
    >
    >Thanks...
    >-s-

    My Pioneer 220:

    ....these are the recording times (bitrates) that can be set to fill up
    a single sided G5 disk- directly from the manual:

    360mins.
    345 mins.
    330 mins.
    315 mins.
    300 mins.
    285 mins.
    270 mins.
    255 mins.
    240 mins.
    230 mins.
    220 mins.
    210 mins.
    200 mins.
    190 mins.
    180 mins.
    170 mins.
    160 mins.
    150 mins.
    140 mins.
    130 mins.
    120 mins.
    110 mins.
    105 mins.
    100 mins.
    95 mins.
    90 mins.
    85 mins.
    80 mins.
    75 mins.
    70 mins.
    65 mins.
    60 mins.

    For a total of 32 different recording times between 1hr and 6hrs.

    Also it has the ability to setup input filters so you can use either
    preset filters or user defined filters

    You can set VNR (video noise reduction)
    Amount of detail to retain
    Black level
    Hue
    Chroma
    and more.

    These act at hardware level directly on the input before anything is
    recorded. It's very nice for someone like myself who has recorded a
    lot of old movies with a lot of flaws in them. Often using the filters
    the resulting DVD looks better than the original tapes.

    There may be other recorders with even better features but overall for
    200 bucks this is hard to beat.

    Serial # 19781010, Oct 30, 2005
  5. Steve

    Bob Guest

    On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 02:35:44 -0600, Serial # 19781010 <>
    wrote:

    >My Pioneer 220:

    >There may be other recorders with even better features but overall for
    >200 bucks this is hard to beat.

    It is my understanding that Pioneer makes the best DVDR on the market.

    Is that the consensus?

    --

    If you build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. If you
    set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life.

    Bob, Oct 30, 2005
  6. Steve

    maiet Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 02:35:44 -0600, Serial # 19781010 <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >My Pioneer 220:

    > >There may be other recorders with even better features but overall for
    > >200 bucks this is hard to beat.

    > It is my understanding that Pioneer makes the best DVDR on the market.
    >
    > Is that the consensus?

    panasonic are up there 4 sure

    maiet, Oct 30, 2005
  7. Steve

    Don Guest

    I just bought the new Sony DVD recorder that is both a DVD recorder and VHS
    recorder. The DVDs it produces look very good with no degradation from the
    VHS tape. I recorded in the 2 hr DVD mode (single layer DVD)

    Don, Oct 31, 2005
  8. Steve

    Buddy Guest

    On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 14:19:29 -0500, "Don" <> wrote:

    >I just bought the new Sony DVD recorder that is both a DVD recorder and VHS
    >recorder. The DVDs it produces look very good with no degradation from the
    >VHS tape. I recorded in the 2 hr DVD mode (single layer DVD)
    >"Steve" <> wrote in message

    Model # Don? Thanks
    Regards
    Buddy b