    in converting to DVD via computer. Not something I've needed to do, as I
    normally use my Panasonic HD recorder.

    Can I have some pointers please? What kind of interface should he use?
    Mike O'Sullivan, Dec 27, 2005

  2. Mike O'Sullivan

    Large Farva Guest

    He'll need to invest into a video capture device first of all, along with
    the software for it. Hopefully he has a clean 40 gig (at least 40 gig)
    partition to work from for video.

    A better option for him might just be to buy a standalone DVD recorder
    instead.

    Large Farva, Dec 27, 2005

  3. Large Farva wrote:

    > He'll need to invest into a video capture device first of all, along with
    > the software for it. Hopefully he has a clean 40 gig (at least 40 gig)
    > partition to work from for video.
    >
    > A better option for him might just be to buy a standalone DVD recorder
    > instead.

    Thanks, I'm inclined to agree.
    Mike O'Sullivan, Dec 27, 2005
  4. Mike O'Sullivan

    T Guest

    http://www.videohelp.com/ is the place to start.
    All u will ever need to know and more!

    T, Dec 27, 2005
  5. Mike O'Sullivan

    Biz Guest

    For editing purposes, or restoration of audio or video, a PC and a decent
    capture card are always better than a standalone, but if editing is not
    necessary, a standalone is great. FOr some editing, a standalone with a
    hard drive will work quite well....

    Biz, Dec 27, 2005
  6. Mike O'Sullivan

    Stan Brown Guest

    Tue, 27 Dec 2005 19:32:47 GMT from Biz <>:
    > For editing purposes, or restoration of audio or video, a PC and a decent
    > capture card are always better than a standalone, but if editing is not
    > necessary, a standalone is great. FOr some editing, a standalone with a
    > hard drive will work quite well....

    The suggestion I've seen that appeals to me is a standalone just to
    digitize onto DVD-RW, then pop the burned DVD into a computer for any
    necessary editing and to create menus and such and burn the final
    DVD-R.

    With that scheme, no video capture card or capture software is
    needed. And the standalone is also available to record off the air or
    the cable, which the video capture card wouldn't be (without more
    software).

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    Stan Brown, Dec 29, 2005
  7. Mike O'Sullivan

    Bill's News Guest

    Mike O'Sullivan wrote:
    > A friend has got himself a DVD burner for Christmas, and now needs
    > help in converting to DVD via computer. Not something I've needed to
    > do, as I normally use my Panasonic HD recorder.
    >
    > Can I have some pointers please? What kind of interface should he
    > use?

    You really should have your friend browse the net for info. Starting
    here: http://www.videohelp.com/, though it may be a tad overwhelming
    for a first visit from someone having no prior experience and will
    require some time and patience to absorb anything from it.

    Before deciding on stand-alone capture or PC capture, he/she should be
    aware that there are differences, for example: bit rates (possibly
    better quality at the higher rates available in PC capture devices),
    the need for editing, and personalization of menus. These issues
    suggest that the video may be processed on a PC eventually - so why
    not start there? On another hand, if all that your friend desires is
    to convert the a/v streams and play as captured, then stand-alone is
    ideal. Since you've already addressed these issues and are using a
    stand-alone, you could address these issues from your own perspective
    with your friend. There really is no right answer, just whatever
    works for you or your friend.

    If your friend has aspirations of copying DVD's from his/her library
    shelf, then the PC does what the stand alone is prohibited from doing.

    Also, though it has nothing to do with which capture technique to use,
    your friend's expectations may not be in line with reality - as often
    happens in the DVD arena. The DVD players presently in your friend's
    home may not play back from non-studio-stamped-out media. And if you
    friend wants to send copies of homemade DVDs to others, that problem
    could become exponential.

    Never-the-less, the DVD burner is a handy backup device offering 7x
    the capacity of a CD, eh?
    Bill's News, Dec 29, 2005