VHS to DVD copy

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Crow T Robot, Aug 7, 2005.

  1. Crow T Robot

    Crow T Robot Guest

    Is it legal to copy a VHS tape to DVD for personal use? Is the rule if you
    sell the tape you must destroy the DVD? Can a second party copy a VHS tape
    for someone under these conditions?

    --
    *********************End Transmission********************************
    Send all complaints, requests and/or thanks to

    ICQ #34907449

    Website - http://www.sithicus.org
    Free Dishnetwork: http://www.vmcsatellite.com/?aid=180117

    nothing."
    -Edmund Burke

    "Try not, do or do not there is no try"
    - Yoda(Empire Strikes Back)

    Suggestion(s) or comments?

    Crow T Robot, Aug 7, 2005

  2. Crow T Robot

    Alpha Guest

    "Crow T Robot" <> wrote in message
    > Is it legal to copy a VHS tape to DVD for personal use?

    In the US:

    If you own it, it seems to be legal..

    > Is the rule if you sell the tape you must destroy the DVD?

    Yes.

    > Can a second party copy a VHS tape for someone under these conditions?

    Aboslutely not.

    Alpha, Aug 7, 2005

  3. Crow T Robot

    JayCee Guest

    Crow T Robot wrote:
    > Is it legal to copy a VHS tape to DVD for personal use? Is the rule if you
    > sell the tape you must destroy the DVD? Can a second party copy a VHS tape
    > for someone under these conditions?

    What you are talking about doing is illegal. Do not make illegal copies.

    JayCee, Aug 8, 2005
  4. JayCee wrote:
    > Crow T Robot wrote:
    >
    >> Is it legal to copy a VHS tape to DVD for personal use? Is the rule
    >> if you sell the tape you must destroy the DVD? Can a second party
    >> copy a VHS tape for someone under these conditions?

    > What you are talking about doing is illegal.

    No it is not.

    Learn the law.

    John

    The Man Behind The Curtain, Aug 8, 2005
  5. Crow T Robot

    Alpha Guest

    "The Man Behind The Curtain" <> wrote in message
    > JayCee wrote:
    >> Crow T Robot wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is it legal to copy a VHS tape to DVD for personal use? Is the rule if
    >>> you sell the tape you must destroy the DVD? Can a second party copy a
    >>> VHS tape for someone under these conditions?

    >> What you are talking about doing is illegal.

    > No it is not.
    >
    > Learn the law.

    You learn it. Only the first thing is permissable...everything else is not.

    Alpha, Aug 8, 2005
  6. Crow T Robot

    Pat Guest

    JayCee wrote:
    > Crow T Robot wrote:
    >
    >> Is it legal to copy a VHS tape to DVD for personal use? Is the rule
    >> if you sell the tape you must destroy the DVD? Can a second party
    >> copy a VHS tape for someone under these conditions?

    > What you are talking about doing is illegal. Do not make illegal copies.

    Do it just to piss this guy off.

    Pat, Aug 9, 2005
  7. Crow T Robot

    Jordan Guest

    It depends on the tape. If it's something that's encoded with
    Macrovision then that's a breech of the DMCA. If you're copying
    something that they taped off television then it's more of a gray area.

    - Jordan

    Jordan, Aug 9, 2005
  8. Crow T Robot

    Marci Guest

    Jordan wrote:
    > It depends on the tape. If it's something that's encoded with
    > Macrovision then that's a breech of the DMCA. If you're copying
    > something that they taped off television then it's more of a gray area.
    >
    > - Jordan

    So does that mean that when I recorded all 285 store bought VHS tapes to
    DVD and donated the tapes to the local library and senior center, that's
    breaking the law? I honestly thought I was doing a good thing. No
    really. I'm serious.

    Most of them were in watchable condition because of degradation. That's
    why I recorded them.

    Marci, Aug 9, 2005
  9. Crow T Robot

    Biz Guest

    If you kept the original VHS tapes, yes that is illegal.....

    Biz, Aug 9, 2005
  10. Crow T Robot

    Jordan Guest

    See, here's the thing, the Digital Millenium Copyright Act makes the
    mere act of bypassing copy protection a crime. So it doesn't matter if
    you kept the tapes or didn't keep the tapes, if the tapes had
    Macrovision encoding on them (and the vast majority of commercially
    produced VHS tapes do) the act of backing them up to DVD is, in and of
    itself, a federal felony. Each act of which is punishable by multiple
    years in prison and multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines.

    So how can you tell if a tape has Macrovision encoding on it or not?
    Well, you hook up 2 VCRs together and try to make a tape to tape copy.
    If it comes out all blurry and purple that's Macrovision.

    More here:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMCA

    and here:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macrovision

    - Jordan

    Jordan, Aug 10, 2005
  11. Crow T Robot

    Jordan Guest

    See, here's the thing, the Digital Millenium Copyright Act makes the
    mere act of bypassing copy protection a crime. If the tapes had

    Jordan, Aug 10, 2005
  12. Crow T Robot

    Alpha Guest

    "Jordan" <> wrote in message
    > See, here's the thing, the Digital Millenium Copyright Act makes the
    > mere act of bypassing copy protection a crime. If the tapes had
    > Macrovision encoding on them (and the vast majority of commercially
    > produced VHS tapes do) the act of backing them up to DVD is, in and of
    > itself, a federal felony. Each act of which is punishable by multiple
    > years in prison and multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines.
    >
    > More here:
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMCA
    >
    > and here:
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macrovision
    >
    > - Jordan

    I think you are mistaken. The act only applies to digital media.

    Alpha, Aug 10, 2005
  13. Crow T Robot

    Alpha Guest

    PS

    An interesting, and not addressed, issue is if a recording device ignores
    Macrovision. Then the individual did not bypass it (as in software
    decryption) the device did.

    Alpha, Aug 10, 2005
  14. Crow T Robot

    Marci Guest

    Alpha wrote:
    > PS
    >
    > An interesting, and not addressed, issue is if a recording device ignores
    > Macrovision. Then the individual did not bypass it (as in software
    > decryption) the device did.

    I recorded my tapes to a dvd on a Go-Video recorder. Just popped the
    tape in and pressed copy and did nothing extra to it.

    Marci, Aug 10, 2005
  15. Crow T Robot

    Marci Guest

    Biz wrote:
    > If you kept the original VHS tapes, yes that is illegal.....
    >
    > "Marci" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Jordan wrote:
    >>
    >>>It depends on the tape. If it's something that's encoded with
    >>>Macrovision then that's a breech of the DMCA. If you're copying
    >>>something that they taped off television then it's more of a gray area.
    >>>
    >>>- Jordan
    >>>

    >>So does that mean that when I recorded all 285 store bought VHS tapes to
    >>DVD and donated the tapes to the local library and senior center, that's
    >>breaking the law? I honestly thought I was doing a good thing. No
    >>really. I'm serious.
    >>
    >>Most of them were in watchable condition because of degradation. That's
    >>why I recorded them.

    I no longer have the original tapes. I donated them to our local
    library and senior citizen center. A few I threw out because they were
    beyond watchable.

    Marci, Aug 10, 2005
  16. Crow T Robot

    Biz Guest

    DMCA does not apply to analog copy protection on analog media....

    Biz, Aug 10, 2005
  17. Crow T Robot

    Biz Guest

    SO you made copies of the tapes then gave one copy to a library and the
    original to a senior center or vice-versa? Or you made new copies for
    yourself and donated the old originals dividing them up beween the two?
    Either way you have just illegally distributed copyrighted materials, its a
    federal crime in the US.

    Biz, Aug 10, 2005
  18. Crow T Robot

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Alpha () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > > See, here's the thing, the Digital Millenium Copyright Act makes the
    > > mere act of bypassing copy protection a crime. If the tapes had
    > > Macrovision encoding on them (and the vast majority of commercially
    > > produced VHS tapes do) the act of backing them up to DVD is, in and of
    > > itself, a federal felony. Each act of which is punishable by multiple
    > > years in prison and multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines.

    > I think you are mistaken. The act only applies to digital media.

    No, there is a part of the DMCA that deals specifically with Macrovision
    (although it never calls it that). It ended up in copyright law as
    17 USC 1201 (k)...in part:

    (k) Certain Analog Devices and Certain Technological Measures.-
    (1) Certain Analog Devices.-
    (A) Effective 18 months after the date of the enactment of this
    chapter, no person shall manufacture, import, offer to the
    public, provide or otherwise traffic in any-
    (i) VHS format analog video cassette recorder unless such
    recorder conforms to the automatic gain control copy
    control technology;

    --
    Jeff Rife | "Hey, dogs guard.

    Jeff Rife, Aug 10, 2005
  19. Crow T Robot

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, Marci <> wrote:
    >Biz wrote:
    >> If you kept the original VHS tapes, yes that is illegal.....
    >>
    >> "Marci" <> wrote in message

    >>>So does that mean that when I recorded all 285 store bought VHS tapes to
    >>>DVD and donated the tapes to the local library and senior center, that's
    >>>breaking the law? I honestly thought I was doing a good thing. No
    >>>really. I'm serious.
    >>>
    >>>Most of them were in watchable condition because of degradation. That's
    >>>why I recorded them.

    >I no longer have the original tapes. I donated them to our local
    >library and senior citizen center. A few I threw out because they were
    >beyond watchable.

    Giving away the vhs and keeping the copied DVD's is the illegal part.

    GMAN, Aug 10, 2005
  20. Crow T Robot

    Alpha Guest

    "Jeff Rife" <> wrote in message
    > Alpha () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >> > See, here's the thing, the Digital Millenium Copyright Act makes the
    >> > mere act of bypassing copy protection a crime. If the tapes had
    >> > Macrovision encoding on them (and the vast majority of commercially
    >> > produced VHS tapes do) the act of backing them up to DVD is, in and of
    >> > itself, a federal felony. Each act of which is punishable by multiple
    >> > years in prison and multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines.

    >> I think you are mistaken. The act only applies to digital media.

    > No, there is a part of the DMCA that deals specifically with Macrovision
    > (although it never calls it that). It ended up in copyright law as
    > 17 USC 1201 (k)...in part:
    >
    > (k) Certain Analog Devices and Certain Technological Measures.-
    > (1) Certain Analog Devices.-
    > (A) Effective 18 months after the date of the enactment of this
    > chapter, no person shall manufacture, import, offer to the
    > public, provide or otherwise traffic in any-
    > (i) VHS format analog video cassette recorder unless such
    > recorder conforms to the automatic gain control copy
    > control techno

    That has nothing to do with the consumer.

    Alpha, Aug 10, 2005