VHS -> DVD

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Stas Glebov, Nov 27, 2003.

  1. Stas Glebov

    Stas Glebov Guest

    Hello,

    I've got a question for experts.

    I'd like to copy my VHS tapes to DVDs. Wanna do it
    simple. :) Considering HP DVD Movie Writer DC3000.
    This device seems to do what I want... but I'm not sure.

    Does anyone know this DC3000? How about quality?
    And what actually it writes to DVDs: MPEG2..?

    And another question: does anyone know any other
    devices that could do the same job?

    Thanks in advance!

    Regards,

    SG

    Stas Glebov, Nov 27, 2003

  2. Stas Glebov wrote:

    > And another question: does anyone know any other
    > devices that could do the same job?

    Or just get a stand alone recorder to jack into your
    home theater set up. Press Play on one, Record on
    the other, Stop on both when finished, finalize the
    disc and you're done.

    Darrel :)

    Darrel Christenson, Nov 27, 2003

  3. Stas Glebov

    Tarkus Guest

    On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 22:22:39 GMT, Darrel Christenson wrote:

    > Stas Glebov wrote:
    >
    >> And another question: does anyone know any other
    >> devices that could do the same job?

    > Or just get a stand alone recorder to jack into your
    > home theater set up. Press Play on one, Record on
    > the other, Stop on both when finished, finalize the
    > disc and you're done.

    What about editing and chapters? Do the standalone recorders handle
    those two things? (Serious question.)
    --
    "We accidentally replaced your heart with a baked potato. You have
    about three seconds to live."

    Now playing: "Stevie Ray Vaughan And Doubl.. - Don't Lose Your Cool (Live)"

    Tarkus, Nov 28, 2003
  4. Tarkus wrote:

    > What about editing and chapters? Do the standalone recorders handle
    > those two things? (Serious question.)

    Depends on the model and media, i.e. whether it
    has a hard drive and in the case of Panny units
    whether you're using RAM media or not.

    Darrel :)

    Darrel Christenson, Nov 28, 2003
  5. Stas Glebov

    Bill Guest

    The HP DVD Movie Writer DC3000 creates MPEG2 video.

    I don't know of any other drive quite like this one as it is an all-in-one
    product, combining a DVD-RW drive with hardware-based encoding, all in a
    single case.

    Here are two reviews that you might find useful:

    http://reviews.cnet.com/HP_DVD_Movie_Writer_dc3000/4505-3212_7-30471178.html

    http://www.time.com/time/gadget/20031022/

    Bill, Nov 28, 2003
  6. Stas Glebov

    Stas Glebov Guest

    Thanks Bill! Looks like this is what I need.

    SG

    Stas Glebov, Nov 28, 2003
  7. Stas Glebov

    dvd-etc Guest

    To do this simple task, what you are proposing is to connect this HP DVD
    burner to USB port of a PC, fire up the PC (not included in price), run a
    software, video capture from a VCR which you will have to connect (not
    included in price) - not worth the $329-349 HP is charging.

    Why don't you buy a DVD Recorder + VHS combo unit that is in the market
    recently and advertised in Sears and Target Stores? They are selling at
    $399.99. Simple to use. just pop in the VHS tape and record on one single
    deck. All you need is to connect to TV. Would recommend the Target Store's
    unit that is manufactured by Sansui (a well known audiophile brand in Asia.
    Sansui audio and video stuff are typically made in Japan... donno about this
    particular unit though... but going by the brand, you can do not wrong).
    Sears on the other hand is peddling the similar unit but branded as from
    Polariod.... amazing that Polariod is getting into this business.....

    dvd-etc, Nov 28, 2003
  8. Stas Glebov

    Stas Glebov Guest

    "Darrel Christenson":
    > Or just get a stand alone recorder to jack into your
    > home theater set up.

    Are you sure that any stand alone recorder supports analog-to-digital
    conversion? I don't think so...

    Of course I can 'assemble' another solution, I presume I'll need a
    video-capturing card, special software and any DVD burner would be
    OK. The point is that I want to do it as simple as possible. I.e. just
    connect this burner to a VCR, and then change tapes and discs when
    the thing beeps. :) I've got some 400 video tapes, so an all-in-one
    device is the only solution I can stand.

    SG

    Stas Glebov, Nov 28, 2003
  9. Stas Glebov

    Stas Glebov Guest

    "dvd-etc":
    > To do this simple task, what you are proposing is

    No, it's not that bad. :) The HP device can be connected to VCR, as
    far as I understood, that's why I liked it.

    > Why don't you buy a DVD Recorder + VHS combo unit

    Because haven't seen them. Of course that would be a best solution
    ever. If they are around, I'd opt for such a device. Will check it out,
    thanks for your hint.

    SG

    Stas Glebov, Nov 28, 2003
  10. what on earth do you think it is doing when you have a stand alone DVD
    recorder.

    it is capturing your analogue signal and converting it into a digital form
    for recording to a DVD-R.

    > "Darrel Christenson":
    > > Or just get a stand alone recorder to jack into your
    > > home theater set up.

    > Are you sure that any stand alone recorder supports analog-to-digital
    > conversion? I don't think so...
    >
    > Of course I can 'assemble' another solution, I presume I'll need a
    > video-capturing card, special software and any DVD burner would be
    > OK. The point is that I want to do it as simple as possible. I.e. just
    > connect this burner to a VCR, and then change tapes and discs when
    > the thing beeps. :) I've got some 400 video tapes, so an all-in-one
    > device is the only solution I can stand.
    >
    > SG

    ---

    Vincent Formosa, Nov 28, 2003
  11. Stas Glebov

    Bill Guest

    That's true, but with the HP all-in-one unit you're also getting a decent
    device to back up files/folders on your computer. Given a choice, I would
    much rather have the HP drive for that reason alone.

    Bill, Nov 28, 2003