VHS conversion: PC capture card, or standalone burner?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Patrick Neve, May 14, 2006.

  1. Patrick Neve

    Patrick Neve Guest

    Hi.. I know, it's the 1,000,000th post asking for advice on VHS
    conversion.

    My question stems from the fact that standalone component-style home
    theater DVD player/writers seem to have plummeted in price. And the
    better units appear to have S-Video inputs.

    I'm looking to transfer some LD's and VHS's using S-Video, and I'm
    wondering if the results will equal or rival the conversion of an
    inexpensive PC capturing device. My budget is in the sub-$300 range.

    I don't need to author menus or anything like that.

    Thanks for your observations or advice...
     
    Patrick Neve, May 14, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Patrick Neve

    Netmask Guest

    "Patrick Neve" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    > Hi.. I know, it's the 1,000,000th post asking for advice on VHS
    > conversion.
    >
    > My question stems from the fact that standalone component-style home
    > theater DVD player/writers seem to have plummeted in price. And the
    > better units appear to have S-Video inputs.
    >
    > I'm looking to transfer some LD's and VHS's using S-Video, and I'm
    > wondering if the results will equal or rival the conversion of an
    > inexpensive PC capturing device. My budget is in the sub-$300 range.
    >
    > I don't need to author menus or anything like that.
    >
    > Thanks for your observations or advice...



    I have a USB Dvico MPEG capture card that I paid 3 years ago au$350. If I
    was starting out again afresh today I would buy a standalone DVD recorder
    for well under au$300 - why? Well it doesn't tie up my computer it can sit
    in a dark corner merrily capturing all those old VHS tapes. I would record
    on to rewriteables and then if I really wanted to edit the result, re-author
    do chapters and the like it would be easy to just copy the VOB files on to
    my computer etc.. DVDrecorders represent a more efficient use of resources
    and my time..
     
    Netmask, May 15, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Patrick Neve

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Sun, 14 May 2006 23:49:35 GMT, Netmask <> wrote:
    >was starting out again afresh today I would buy a standalone DVD recorder
    >for well under au$300 - why? Well it doesn't tie up my computer it can sit
    >in a dark corner merrily capturing all those old VHS tapes. I would record
    >on to rewriteables and then if I really wanted to edit the result, re-author
    >do chapters and the like it would be easy to just copy the VOB files on to
    >my computer etc.. DVDrecorders represent a more efficient use of resources
    >and my time..


    BTW: $300aus== $231US


    How much was a DVD recorder 3 years ago?

    If you're going to compare today's prices, you should also look at
    current prices for video capture. A plextor convertx, for example,
    can be had for under $150.
     
    AZ Nomad, May 15, 2006
    #3
  4. Patrick Neve

    Patrick Neve Guest

    On Sun, 14 May 2006, Netmask wrote:
    > "Patrick Neve" <> wrote in message
    > news:p...
    > > Hi.. I know, it's the 1,000,000th post asking for advice on VHS
    > > conversion.
    > >
    > > My question stems from the fact that standalone component-style home
    > > theater DVD player/writers seem to have plummeted in price. And the
    > > better units appear to have S-Video inputs.
    > >
    > > I'm looking to transfer some LD's and VHS's using S-Video, and I'm
    > > wondering if the results will equal or rival the conversion of an
    > > inexpensive PC capturing device. My budget is in the sub-$300 range.
    > >
    > > I don't need to author menus or anything like that.
    > >
    > > Thanks for your observations or advice...

    >
    >
    > I have a USB Dvico MPEG capture card that I paid 3 years ago au$350. If I
    > was starting out again afresh today I would buy a standalone DVD recorder
    > for well under au$300 - why? Well it doesn't tie up my computer it can sit
    > in a dark corner merrily capturing all those old VHS tapes. I would record
    > on to rewriteables and then if I really wanted to edit the result, re-author
    > do chapters and the like it would be easy to just copy the VOB files on to
    > my computer etc.. DVDrecorders represent a more efficient use of resources
    > and my time..


    That's kind of what I'm thinking. Just wondering if the picture quality
    will be comparable to the capture card method... if it seems like six of
    one and half a dozen of another, I'll be getting a standalone console unit
    soon..

    Thanks..
     
    Patrick Neve, May 15, 2006
    #4
  5. Patrick Neve

    Netmask Guest

    "AZ Nomad" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Sun, 14 May 2006 23:49:35 GMT, Netmask <>
    > wrote:
    >>was starting out again afresh today I would buy a standalone DVD recorder
    >>for well under au$300 - why? Well it doesn't tie up my computer it can sit
    >>in a dark corner merrily capturing all those old VHS tapes. I would record
    >>on to rewriteables and then if I really wanted to edit the result,
    >>re-author
    >>do chapters and the like it would be easy to just copy the VOB files on
    >>to
    >>my computer etc.. DVDrecorders represent a more efficient use of resources
    >>and my time..

    >
    > BTW: $300aus== $231US
    >
    >
    > How much was a DVD recorder 3 years ago?
    >
    > If you're going to compare today's prices, you should also look at
    > current prices for video capture. A plextor convertx, for example,
    > can be had for under $150.
    >


    3 years ago a DVD recorder was au$1,000 and not much choice
     
    Netmask, May 15, 2006
    #5
  6. Patrick Neve

    Netmask Guest

    "Patrick Neve" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    > On Sun, 14 May 2006, Netmask wrote:
    >> "Patrick Neve" <> wrote in message
    >> news:p...
    >> > Hi.. I know, it's the 1,000,000th post asking for advice on VHS
    >> > conversion.
    >> >
    >> > My question stems from the fact that standalone component-style home
    >> > theater DVD player/writers seem to have plummeted in price. And the
    >> > better units appear to have S-Video inputs.
    >> >
    >> > I'm looking to transfer some LD's and VHS's using S-Video, and I'm
    >> > wondering if the results will equal or rival the conversion of an
    >> > inexpensive PC capturing device. My budget is in the sub-$300 range.
    >> >
    >> > I don't need to author menus or anything like that.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for your observations or advice...

    >>
    >>
    >> I have a USB Dvico MPEG capture card that I paid 3 years ago au$350. If I
    >> was starting out again afresh today I would buy a standalone DVD recorder
    >> for well under au$300 - why? Well it doesn't tie up my computer it can
    >> sit
    >> in a dark corner merrily capturing all those old VHS tapes. I would
    >> record
    >> on to rewriteables and then if I really wanted to edit the result,
    >> re-author
    >> do chapters and the like it would be easy to just copy the VOB files on
    >> to
    >> my computer etc.. DVDrecorders represent a more efficient use of
    >> resources
    >> and my time..

    >
    > That's kind of what I'm thinking. Just wondering if the picture quality
    > will be comparable to the capture card method... if it seems like six of
    > one and half a dozen of another, I'll be getting a standalone console unit
    > soon..
    >
    > Thanks..


    Well you are dealing with VHS so as long as you don't go for DVD long play I
    don't think it is an issue. For me price is not so much an issue as the
    inconvenience of tying up my computer for hours on end. On picture quality
    I have done an AB comparison with an old VHS tape of 'Popular Neurotics"
    (early Jeff Goldblum tellie movie) on my friends Konka DVD recorder and my
    Dvico, no difference.
     
    Netmask, May 15, 2006
    #6
  7. Patrick Neve

    Alpha Guest

    "Patrick Neve" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    > On Sun, 14 May 2006, Netmask wrote:
    >> "Patrick Neve" <> wrote in message
    >> news:p...
    >> > Hi.. I know, it's the 1,000,000th post asking for advice on VHS
    >> > conversion.
    >> >
    >> > My question stems from the fact that standalone component-style home
    >> > theater DVD player/writers seem to have plummeted in price. And the
    >> > better units appear to have S-Video inputs.
    >> >
    >> > I'm looking to transfer some LD's and VHS's using S-Video, and I'm
    >> > wondering if the results will equal or rival the conversion of an
    >> > inexpensive PC capturing device. My budget is in the sub-$300 range.
    >> >
    >> > I don't need to author menus or anything like that.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for your observations or advice...

    >>
    >>
    >> I have a USB Dvico MPEG capture card that I paid 3 years ago au$350. If I
    >> was starting out again afresh today I would buy a standalone DVD recorder
    >> for well under au$300 - why? Well it doesn't tie up my computer it can
    >> sit
    >> in a dark corner merrily capturing all those old VHS tapes. I would
    >> record
    >> on to rewriteables and then if I really wanted to edit the result,
    >> re-author
    >> do chapters and the like it would be easy to just copy the VOB files on
    >> to
    >> my computer etc.. DVDrecorders represent a more efficient use of
    >> resources
    >> and my time..

    >
    > That's kind of what I'm thinking. Just wondering if the picture quality
    > will be comparable to the capture card method... if it seems like six of
    > one and half a dozen of another, I'll be getting a standalone console unit
    > soon..
    >
    > Thanks..


    Considering your answers, get a stand alone. Many (Pioneer, Panasonic) have
    time base correctors and digital noise filters that improve capture of video
    tape, and few stand alone devices have these at all or of comparable
    quality. Be aware that most stand alone recorders are copy protection
    sensitive.
     
    Alpha, May 15, 2006
    #7
  8. Patrick Neve

    Patrick Neve Guest

    Re: VHS conversion: PC capture card, or standalone recorder?

    On Sun, 14 May 2006, Alpha wrote:
    > Be aware that most stand alone recorders are copy protection
    > sensitive.


    Good point.. I'm finding in reviews that many standalone recorders employ
    macrovision. Can anyone recommend a deck that is either lenient or
    doesn't use it at all?

    I want to point out that I'm not interested in bootlegging anything, this
    is strictly for personal backup of aging magnetic materials. While I
    don't know if this is technically legal, I believe it is morally
    legitimate.

    Thank you..
     
    Patrick Neve, May 15, 2006
    #8
  9. Patrick Neve

    Netmask Guest

    Re: VHS conversion: PC capture card, or standalone recorder?

    "Patrick Neve" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    > On Sun, 14 May 2006, Alpha wrote:
    >> Be aware that most stand alone recorders are copy protection
    >> sensitive.

    >
    > Good point.. I'm finding in reviews that many standalone recorders employ
    > macrovision. Can anyone recommend a deck that is either lenient or
    > doesn't use it at all?
    >
    > I want to point out that I'm not interested in bootlegging anything, this
    > is strictly for personal backup of aging magnetic materials. While I
    > don't know if this is technically legal, I believe it is morally
    > legitimate.
    >
    > Thank you..


    You can get macrovision eliminators http://www.sonel.com/ it should
    only be needed if you have any old commercial tapes
     
    Netmask, May 16, 2006
    #9
  10. Patrick Neve

    Patrick Neve Guest

    Re: VHS conversion: PC capture card, or standalone recorder?

    On Tue, 16 May 2006, Netmask wrote:
    > "Patrick Neve" <> wrote in message
    > news:p...
    > > On Sun, 14 May 2006, Alpha wrote:
    > >> Be aware that most stand alone recorders are copy protection
    > >> sensitive.

    > >
    > > Good point.. I'm finding in reviews that many standalone recorders employ
    > > macrovision. Can anyone recommend a deck that is either lenient or
    > > doesn't use it at all?
    > >
    > > I want to point out that I'm not interested in bootlegging anything, this
    > > is strictly for personal backup of aging magnetic materials. While I
    > > don't know if this is technically legal, I believe it is morally
    > > legitimate.
    > >
    > > Thank you..

    >
    > You can get macrovision eliminators http://www.sonel.com/ it should
    > only be needed if you have any old commercial tapes


    Oh.. not exactly. Fairly indie stuff. So do I not really need to worry
    about copy protection, then?

    I'm only familiar with macrovision, maybe there are a slew of new ones I'm
    not aware of.

    Thanks again,
     
    Patrick Neve, May 16, 2006
    #10
  11. Patrick Neve

    Netmask Guest

    Re: VHS conversion: PC capture card, or standalone recorder?

    "Patrick Neve" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    > On Tue, 16 May 2006, Netmask wrote:
    >> "Patrick Neve" <> wrote in message
    >> news:p...
    >> > On Sun, 14 May 2006, Alpha wrote:
    >> >> Be aware that most stand alone recorders are copy protection
    >> >> sensitive.
    >> >
    >> > Good point.. I'm finding in reviews that many standalone recorders
    >> > employ
    >> > macrovision. Can anyone recommend a deck that is either lenient or
    >> > doesn't use it at all?
    >> >
    >> > I want to point out that I'm not interested in bootlegging anything,
    >> > this
    >> > is strictly for personal backup of aging magnetic materials. While I
    >> > don't know if this is technically legal, I believe it is morally
    >> > legitimate.
    >> >
    >> > Thank you..

    >>
    >> You can get macrovision eliminators http://www.sonel.com/ it
    >> should
    >> only be needed if you have any old commercial tapes

    >
    > Oh.. not exactly. Fairly indie stuff. So do I not really need to worry
    > about copy protection, then?
    >
    > I'm only familiar with macrovision, maybe there are a slew of new ones I'm
    > not aware of.
    >
    > Thanks again,
    >


    Whilst there are numerous copy protection methods for commercial DVD's as
    far as I know there is only Macrovision on VHS tapes so as you are copying
    FROM VHS that's all you need to worry about. I haven't struck any problems
    to date any way in archiving tapes to DVD.

    On DVD protection there are solutions for those as well if you are making
    archival copies of your DVD collection. It's especially important if you
    have young children with 'sticky' fingers. etc
     
    Netmask, May 16, 2006
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Film Buff

    Digital VHS (D-VHS)

    Film Buff, May 8, 2004, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    621
    Oldus Fartus
    May 8, 2004
  2. Beowulfie

    Standalone burner or combo?

    Beowulfie, Feb 22, 2006, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    483
    Stan Brown
    Feb 23, 2006
  3. - Bobb -
    Replies:
    16
    Views:
    2,382
    kitekrazy
    Jan 4, 2007
  4. Don Saklad
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    745
    Don Saklad
    Jan 20, 2007
  5. PeterD
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    2,882
Loading...

Share This Page