    Step 1 is getting the unedited footage from the tape to the computer.
    From there I can edit the footage and get copies made (output VHS).

    What it the best way to convert VHS footage to digital media? I have
    heard of 2 suggestions:
    1) a dedicated capture card for audio/visual so as to avoid syncing errors
    2) a vhs/dvd recorder

    Thanks
    a.d.
    a.d., Oct 19, 2005

  2. a.d.

    Harry Guest

    a.d. wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > The plan is to produce VHS tapes (not DVDs yet).
    >
    > Step 1 is getting the unedited footage from the tape to the computer.
    > From there I can edit the footage and get copies made (output VHS).
    >
    > What it the best way to convert VHS footage to digital media? I have
    > heard of 2 suggestions:
    > 1) a dedicated capture card for audio/visual so as to avoid syncing errors
    > 2) a vhs/dvd recorder

    The best way is to get somebody else to do it.

    The next best way is to use either a capture card (if you have one) or
    use a dedicated recorder (if you have one of them).

    The disadvantage of a dvd recorder is that mpeg is a lossy compression,
    more so than something like mjpeg compression for example. You would find
    it easier to edit your video in some other format than mpeg.

    The real disadvantage of transfering VHS to DVD is that most VHS
    quality is crap (lots of tape artifacts), and it will look even worse on DVD.
    Harry, Oct 19, 2005

  3. a.d.

    Bob Guest

    I'd suggest a good quality dedicated capture card. Using a VHS->DVD machine
    doesn't give you any scope to control the quality of the transfer. You need
    to deal as closely to the source as possible to get the best effect.

    Bob, Oct 19, 2005
  4. a.d.

    David Guest

    a.d. wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > The plan is to produce VHS tapes (not DVDs yet).
    >
    > Step 1 is getting the unedited footage from the tape to the computer.
    > From there I can edit the footage and get copies made (output VHS).
    >
    > What it the best way to convert VHS footage to digital media? I have
    > heard of 2 suggestions:
    > 1) a dedicated capture card for audio/visual so as to avoid syncing errors
    > 2) a vhs/dvd recorder
    >
    > Thanks
    > a.d.

    Not the best way, but this is how I would do it (using equipment i
    already have): Connect my DV camera to PC via firewire, connect VCR to
    the AV connection on the video camera and set it to AV IN mode, and
    capture the video using your favourite software. Although the conversion
    to MJPEG is not desirable, it is actually not too bad because the
    quality is very reasonable, especially when talking VHS quality. Also
    uncompressed video files would be too large to work with. From there you
    can go back to AV through the camera via Firewire, and back onto VHS tape.
    David, Oct 19, 2005