VHDL differential equations, multiplication division by powers of 10

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by boer, Apr 24, 2009.

  1. boer

    boer

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    HEllo,
    I need to solve 4 differential equations in an FPGA, I am working with the ML403 from Xilinx and I am using Xilinx Tools (ISE, XST).

    The problem that I have is that everything is in fixed point for solving the differential equations, but I can't use the fixed point libraries with XST because of the negative index.

    I am using Euler to solve the differential equations but the problems is with some multiplications since I need to have a result every 5us. So I need a lot of multiplications with 5e-6.

    For that reason I developed an algoritm to multiplicate and to also additions, but I need to do divisions, multiplications by powers of 10... for example when I have 6e-6 times 6e-6 I will have 36e-12, so there are sometimes when I need to get rid of some of the exponents and multiply by 10 or by 100 to have e-10 or e-9 etc, but I am not sure how to do this!!!

    I really appreciate any help that you can give me!!

    thanks in advanced

    Boer
    boer, Apr 24, 2009