    something similar to this.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 7, 2005

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Malone Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message news:...
    > I'm tinkering with turning a headless(screen died) lappy I have into a
    > dvd player type device, grabbing divx etc from a drive on the network
    > etc, and playing it on the TV.
    >
    > But, the headless lappy I have, doesn't have TV/S-video out, so I was
    > wondering if there was something that flicked VGA output to S-video or
    > similar.
    >
    > I've tried google etc but I don't seem to be able to get the right
    > search phrase, and figured that someone here must have already tried
    > something similar to this.

    I looked into this some time ago and was told that such devices do exist but was advised that there was quite a serious deterioration in video quality in going from VGA to composite video. I don't know whether that is true or whether things might be different with s-video as I didn't pursue it..
    Malone, Jul 7, 2005

  3. Malone wrote:
    >>I'm tinkering with turning a headless(screen died) lappy I have into a
    >>dvd player type device, grabbing divx etc from a drive on the network
    >>etc, and playing it on the TV.
    >>
    >>But, the headless lappy I have, doesn't have TV/S-video out, so I was
    >>wondering if there was something that flicked VGA output to S-video or
    >>similar.

    > I looked into this some time ago and was told that such devices do exist but was advised that there was quite a serious deterioration in video quality in going from VGA to composite video. I don't know whether that is true or whether things might be different with s-video as I didn't pursue it..

    thanks for that.

    I have seen external TV tuners that seem to be like a VGA pass-though
    (VGA out-External TV tuner-monitor/projector), some mentioned using a
    TV, but didn't mention TV out as such.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 7, 2005
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    anon Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > I'm tinkering with turning a headless(screen died) lappy I have into a
    > dvd player type device, grabbing divx etc from a drive on the network
    > etc, and playing it on the TV.
    >
    > But, the headless lappy I have, doesn't have TV/S-video out, so I was
    > wondering if there was something that flicked VGA output to S-video or
    > similar.
    >
    > I've tried google etc but I don't seem to be able to get the right
    > search phrase, and figured that someone here must have already tried
    > something similar to this.

    DSE sell a PC to TV converter for $128, Cat No. XH4624
    anon, Jul 8, 2005
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Tony Guest

    On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 09:52:56 +1200, "Malone" <> wrote:

    >"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message news:...
    >> I'm tinkering with turning a headless(screen died) lappy I have into a
    >> dvd player type device, grabbing divx etc from a drive on the network
    >> etc, and playing it on the TV.
    >>
    >> But, the headless lappy I have, doesn't have TV/S-video out, so I was
    >> wondering if there was something that flicked VGA output to S-video or
    >> similar.
    >>
    >> I've tried google etc but I don't seem to be able to get the right
    >> search phrase, and figured that someone here must have already tried
    >> something similar to this.
    >>

    >I looked into this some time ago and was told that such devices do exist but was advised that there was quite a serious deterioration in video quality in going from VGA to composite video. I don't know whether that is true or whether things might be different with s-video as I didn't pursue it..

    Please set up your News thing for 80 characters, long lines like this is very
    wrong.
    Tony, Jul 8, 2005
  6. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    SCCC Guest

    Computer & Data Cabling Services in Chch have one in their catalogue. Part
    no VC1024

    cabler @ computercables . co . nz

    SCCC, Jul 8, 2005
  7. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Tony Guest

    On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 09:13:56 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <>
    wrote:

    >I'm tinkering with turning a headless(screen died) lappy I have into a
    >dvd player type device, grabbing divx etc from a drive on the network
    >etc, and playing it on the TV.
    >
    >But, the headless lappy I have, doesn't have TV/S-video out, so I was
    >wondering if there was something that flicked VGA output to S-video or
    >similar.
    >
    >I've tried google etc but I don't seem to be able to get the right
    >search phrase, and figured that someone here must have already tried
    >something similar to this.

    You are wasting your Time if the PC never had TV out then its not ment to do
    it..

    TV out is not that simple..
    Tony, Jul 8, 2005
  8. Tony wrote:
    > On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 09:13:56 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I'm tinkering with turning a headless(screen died) lappy I have into a
    >>dvd player type device, grabbing divx etc from a drive on the network
    >>etc, and playing it on the TV.
    >>
    >>But, the headless lappy I have, doesn't have TV/S-video out, so I was
    >>wondering if there was something that flicked VGA output to S-video or
    >>similar.
    >>
    >>I've tried google etc but I don't seem to be able to get the right
    >>search phrase, and figured that someone here must have already tried
    >>something similar to this.

    > You are wasting your Time if the PC never had TV out then its not ment to do
    > it..
    > TV out is not that simple..

    "Tony", your a moron, see the other replys... dimwit.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 8, 2005
  9. anon wrote:
    >>But, the headless lappy I have, doesn't have TV/S-video out, so I was
    >>wondering if there was something that flicked VGA output to S-video or
    >>similar.

    > DSE sell a PC to TV converter for $128, Cat No. XH4624

    thanks for that, going to have a look at lunchtime.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 8, 2005
  10. SCCC wrote:
    > Computer & Data Cabling Services in Chch have one in their catalogue. Part
    > no VC1024
    >
    > cabler @ computercables . co . nz

    I think I have a friend who works there, might give him a yell.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 8, 2005
  11. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    MarkH Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in news:dalg4e.270.1
    @fairground.synaptic.net.nz:

    > I'm tinkering with turning a headless(screen died) lappy I have into a
    > dvd player type device, grabbing divx etc from a drive on the network
    > etc, and playing it on the TV.
    >
    > But, the headless lappy I have, doesn't have TV/S-video out, so I was
    > wondering if there was something that flicked VGA output to S-video or
    > similar.
    >
    > I've tried google etc but I don't seem to be able to get the right
    > search phrase, and figured that someone here must have already tried
    > something similar to this.

    There are several products that might suit your needs, Dynalink have these:
    http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=VIDDYN012
    http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=TVDYN620A
    http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=TVDYNF16

    A friend has a Dynalink Plug 'n' Go device, but he uses it with a 15" LCD
    monitor and switches between his PC and his XBox. I don't know what the TV
    output quality is like.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 25-June-05)
    MarkH, Jul 8, 2005
  12. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Ripping Silk Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > anon wrote:
    >
    >>> But, the headless lappy I have, doesn't have TV/S-video out, so I was
    >>> wondering if there was something that flicked VGA output to S-video or
    >>> similar.

    >> DSE sell a PC to TV converter for $128, Cat No. XH4624

    > thanks for that, going to have a look at lunchtime.

    I have/used a couple of these PC to TV things.. scan converters I
    think they may be called... but anyway the quality is very crap... on
    the ones i have used at least.. text is illegible.... very muddy
    picture. They are usable... but only just...
    Ripping Silk, Jul 8, 2005
  13. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Tony Guest

    On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 12:15:25 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <>
    wrote:

    >Tony wrote:
    >> On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 09:13:56 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I'm tinkering with turning a headless(screen died) lappy I have into a
    >>>dvd player type device, grabbing divx etc from a drive on the network
    >>>etc, and playing it on the TV.
    >>>
    >>>But, the headless lappy I have, doesn't have TV/S-video out, so I was
    >>>wondering if there was something that flicked VGA output to S-video or
    >>>similar.
    >>>
    >>>I've tried google etc but I don't seem to be able to get the right
    >>>search phrase, and figured that someone here must have already tried
    >>>something similar to this.

    >> You are wasting your Time if the PC never had TV out then its not ment to do
    >> it..
    >> TV out is not that simple..

    >"Tony", your a moron, see the other replys... dimwit.

    No Brain dead been there done that Plus I am a Tech, what are you, a Idiot it
    seems.
    Tony, Jul 8, 2005
  14. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Tony Guest

    On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 17:52:09 +1200, Ripping Silk <>
    wrote:

    >Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>> DSE sell a PC to TV converter for $128, Cat No. XH4624

    >> thanks for that, going to have a look at lunchtime.
    >>

    > I have/used a couple of these PC to TV things.. scan converters I
    >think they may be called... but anyway the quality is very crap... on
    >the ones i have used at least.. text is illegible.... very muddy
    >picture. They are usable... but only just...

    And scan alignment problems..
    Tony, Jul 8, 2005
  15. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Andrew Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 12:15:25 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Tony wrote:

    >>>You are wasting your Time if the PC never had TV out then its not ment to do
    >>>it..
    >>>TV out is not that simple..

    >>"Tony", your a moron, see the other replys... dimwit.

    > No Brain dead been there done that Plus I am a Tech, what are you, a Idiot it
    > seems.

    If i was the maker of such product to allow this.. will you then shut up?
    Andrew, Jul 8, 2005
  16. Tony wrote:
    >>>You are wasting your Time if the PC never had TV out then its not ment to do
    >>>it..
    >>>TV out is not that simple..

    >>"Tony", your a moron, see the other replys... dimwit.

    > No Brain dead been there done that Plus I am a Tech, what are you, a Idiot it
    > seems.

    "a Idiot it seems."
    errrm, no comment.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 10, 2005
  17. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>> "Tony", your a moron, see the other replys... dimwit.

    >> No Brain dead been there done that Plus I am a Tech, what are you, a
    >> Idiot it seems.

    > "a Idiot it seems."
    > errrm, no comment.

    Not to mention "your a moron" and "replys".

    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jul 11, 2005
  18. ~misfit~ wrote:

    >>>No Brain dead been there done that Plus I am a Tech, what are you, a
    >>>Idiot it seems.

    >>"a Idiot it seems."
    >>errrm, no comment.

    > Not to mention "your a moron" and "replys".

    heh, thanks for that... glass houses, throwing stones etc.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 11, 2005
  19. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>> "a Idiot it seems."
    >>> errrm, no comment.

    >> Not to mention "your a moron" and "replys".

    > heh, thanks for that... glass houses, throwing stones etc.

    You're welcome. :)

    You snipped the attribution line so I didn't actually know who was
    responsible for that contribution. I haven't been following this thread. I'm
    guessing it was you huh?
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jul 11, 2005
  20. "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > >> Not to mention "your a moron" and "replys".

    > > heh, thanks for that... glass houses, throwing stones etc.

    > You're welcome. :)
    >
    > You snipped the attribution line so I didn't actually know who was
    > responsible for that contribution. I haven't been following this thread.

    I'm
    > guessing it was you huh?
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Hmm smell the testosterone.... I see there's some action-drama R13 in
    here at the moment. I haven't been following the programme however, whoever
    the tech is dishing out the degrogatory statements: This is why technical
    people are becoming more scarce, a lot (not all) don't know the patients
    that comes with being a teacher of their skills, but rather spilling pride
    all over their replies.
    Gavin Stephens, Jul 11, 2005