VGA cooling fan

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Nick, Aug 16, 2005.

  1. Nick

    Nick Guest

    Hello everyone,

    I'm fixing my uncle's computer as there is a virus and spyware
    installed on it. While opening the case I noticed that the VGA cooling
    fan was not working. So I need to fix this first before fixing the
    software. The card is a Creative GeForce 2 MX card (computer is fairly
    old) and I have removed the heat sink and fan from the GPU. I went to
    Mircocenter to buy a VGA cooling fan
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0106556
    (link to fan). I have removed as much excess glue on the GPU which was
    from the original fan, but I don't believe that the glue that this
    product has will be enough to hold the heat sink in place. As the fan
    will be facing the bottom of the case I don't want it falling off and
    hitting any of the other peripheral cards and blowing out the PSU.
    Does anyone know what kind of glue manufactures use when seating in
    these fans? Is it epoxy? I don't want to spend too much money as the
    card is almost worth nothing.

    Thanks in advance

    Nick

    Nick, Aug 16, 2005

  2. Nick

    Harrison Guest

    http://www.arcticsilver.com/products.htm

    Harrison, Aug 16, 2005

  3. Nick

    Nick Guest

    Thanks for the info! Didn't know that arcticsilver made adhesives as
    well.

    Nick

    Nick, Aug 16, 2005
  4. Nick

    Shawn Guest

    <Nick> wrote in message news:...
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I'm fixing my uncle's computer as there is a virus and spyware
    > installed on it. While opening the case I noticed that the VGA cooling
    > fan was not working. So I need to fix this first before fixing the
    > software. The card is a Creative GeForce 2 MX card (computer is fairly
    > old) and I have removed the heat sink and fan from the GPU. I went to
    > Mircocenter to buy a VGA cooling fan
    > http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0106556
    > (link to fan). I have removed as much excess glue on the GPU which was
    > from the original fan, but I don't believe that the glue that this
    > product has will be enough to hold the heat sink in place. As the fan
    > will be facing the bottom of the case I don't want it falling off and
    > hitting any of the other peripheral cards and blowing out the PSU.
    > Does anyone know what kind of glue manufactures use when seating in
    > these fans? Is it epoxy? I don't want to spend too much money as the
    > card is almost worth nothing.
    >

    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Nick

    Thats likely not glue but heatsink paste, cant think of the proper name for
    it but its purpose is to help heat transfer tothe heat sink.

    Shawn, Aug 16, 2005
  5. Nick

    Nick Guest

    I understand what you are saying and that is the thermal paste that
    you are referring to. This is glue; the heat sink would fall off the
    chipset as it has no mounting screws to the back of the board.

    Nick

    Nick, Aug 17, 2005