VFX VoIP router and network config?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Gordy, Feb 16, 2008.

  1. Gordy

    Gordy Guest

    Hi,

    I am waiting for my Fusion application to be processed.

    In the mean time I have set up my hardware to access the internet and
    port forwarding to some servers on my home network.
    Internet access and server access is all working.

    I am wondering if the VoIP is going to work ok.
    Anyone confirm if this setup below will work or if I have to
    reconfigure in some way?

    The setup:

    Xnet Internet
    Dynamic IP with DynDNS domain.
    Dynalink RTA1320 router configured with port forwarding to my .1.x
    subnet
    LAN IP 192.168.1.9
    (the .9 is for historic reasons)

    Next:
    VoIP router LinkSys SPA2102-AU.
    Configured in Bridge mode.
    Phone network to be attached to the SPA2102.
    Bought showing VFX on package.
    No other config mods.

    Next:
    8 port switch

    Next:
    Various computers.
    Various IP cameras.
    A wireless network.
    All on subnet 192.168.1.x
    Masks 255.255.255.0
    Gateways set to 192.168.1.9

    Any help would most appreciated.

    Cheers

    Gordy

    Gordy, Feb 16, 2008

  2. Gordy

    Tony Guest

    > Next:
    > VoIP router LinkSys SPA2102-AU.
    > Configured in Bridge mode.
    > Phone network to be attached to the SPA2102.
    > Bought showing VFX on package.
    > No other config mods.
    >
    > Next:
    > 8 port switch
    >
    > Next:
    > Various computers.
    > Various IP cameras.
    > A wireless network.
    > All on subnet 192.168.1.x
    > Masks 255.255.255.0
    > Gateways set to 192.168.1.9
    >
    > Any help would most appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers

    You need to port forward ports 5060 and 5061 UDP to the SPA2102, this is
    for the incoming phone calls (or just 5060 for one line). The config for
    the voice will already be on the SPA2102 so all you need to do is let
    WorldxChange know the mac address of it and you are off and running.

    Tony, Feb 18, 2008

  3. In article <newscache$lezfwj$il5$>, Tony did write:

    > ... all you need to do is let WorldxChange know the [MAC] address ...

    Why is WorldxChange doing anything with MAC addresses?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 18, 2008
  4. Gordy

    Tony Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <newscache$lezfwj$il5$>, Tony did write:
    >
    >> ... all you need to do is let WorldxChange know the [MAC] address ...

    > Why is WorldxChange doing anything with MAC addresses?

    Thats what they use to identify the voip device. its pretty smart
    actually as then there is no login process and the user can connect over
    any internet connection. (I actually had one working temporarily over a
    t3g data card/xp laptop while waiting for a dsl line to be installed!)

    Tony, Feb 19, 2008
  5. In article <newscache$6daiwj$qpe$>, Tony did write:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In article <newscache$lezfwj$il5$>, Tony did write:
    >>
    >>> ... all you need to do is let WorldxChange know the [MAC] address ...

    >> Why is WorldxChange doing anything with MAC addresses?

    > Thats what they use to identify the voip device.

    It's a stupid idea. Haven't they heard of MAC spoofing?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 19, 2008
  6. Gordy

    Tony Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <newscache$6daiwj$qpe$>, Tony did write:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>> In article <newscache$lezfwj$il5$>, Tony did write:

    >>> Why is WorldxChange doing anything with MAC addresses?

    >> Thats what they use to identify the voip device.

    > It's a stupid idea. Haven't they heard of MAC spoofing?

    well, you need the mac address first.

    Tony, Feb 20, 2008
  7. In article <newscache$fdqiwj$cgg$>, Tony did write:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> Thats what they use to identify the voip device.

    >> It's a stupid idea. Haven't they heard of MAC spoofing?

    > well, you need the mac address first.

    They follow a series, so they're not exactly hard to guess.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 20, 2008
  8. Gordy

    Squiggle Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <newscache$fdqiwj$cgg$>, Tony did write:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> In article <newscache$6daiwj$qpe$>, Tony did write:

    >>> It's a stupid idea. Haven't they heard of MAC spoofing?

    >> well, you need the mac address first.

    > They follow a series, so they're not exactly hard to guess.

    Wouldn't be so sure on that one, i've been working with a ton
    (literally)) of D-Link routers and sequential serial numbers have very
    different MAC addresses.

    Squiggle, Feb 20, 2008
  9. Gordy

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <newscache$6daiwj$qpe$>, Tony did write:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>> In article <newscache$lezfwj$il5$>, Tony did write:

    >>> Why is WorldxChange doing anything with MAC addresses?

    >> Thats what they use to identify the voip device.

    > It's a stupid idea. Haven't they heard of MAC spoofing?

    It is a little harder to change them on an ATA then a network card since
    they are in an eeprom in an encoded way. There are people working at it
    since the eeprom needs to be rebuilt inorder to remove service provider
    locks on it.

    If you have phyiscal access to the ATA then they can be cloned, thats a
    popular way of unlocking ones that are provisioned on vonage and why
    when you buy 3 of them they all have the same mac address making them
    useless on the same lan.

    The provisioning files are also encoded in a way that means they need to
    be decoded by the ata before the authentication details are available,
    thats another obstical in the way of getting the password, and there is
    the option for dynamic authentication details so that if they are taken
    once they are no good once the ata re-provisions itself.

    So its not as stupid as mac authentication on a lan, but it does have
    its vunrubilities.

    Richard, Feb 20, 2008
  10. In article <1203491528.993832@ftpsrv1>, Richard did write:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> Thats what they use to identify the voip device.

    >> It's a stupid idea. Haven't they heard of MAC spoofing?

    > It is a little harder to change them on an ATA then a network card ...

    Who says you have to do the spoofing on the original device?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 20, 2008
  11. Gordy

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> It's a stupid idea. Haven't they heard of MAC spoofing?

    >> It is a little harder to change them on an ATA then a network card ...

    > Who says you have to do the spoofing on the original device?

    Because the ATA is the only thing that can make sense of the config file
    delivered to it?

    Richard, Feb 20, 2008
  12. In article <1203501878.103811@ftpsrv1>, Richard did write:

    >>> It is a little harder to change them on an ATA then a network card ...

    >> Who says you have to do the spoofing on the original device?

    > Because the ATA is the only thing that can make sense of the config file
    > delivered to it?

    Isn't that just BOOTP?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 20, 2008
  13. Gordy

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> Who says you have to do the spoofing on the original device?

    >> Because the ATA is the only thing that can make sense of the config file
    >> delivered to it?

    > Isn't that just BOOTP?

    No, its an encrypted text file that needs something in the ata to
    decode, at least for the vonage ones. They keep making progress in
    getting the info then vonage push out new firmware and the cycle starts
    again. People want their sip details but vonage only want the unlimited
    plans to be run on the ata's and not softphones or asterisk.

    The ata just requests a url with its mac address in it to get the file,
    the generation of which is up to the backend systems. The file is
    different each time and stuff, its not as simple as changing the mac in
    the eeprom and letting the ata get its config.

    Richard, Feb 20, 2008
  14. In article <1203509629.846760@ftpsrv1>, Richard did write:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> Because the ATA is the only thing that can make sense of the config file
    >>> delivered to it?

    >> Isn't that just BOOTP?

    > No, its an encrypted text file that needs something in the ata to
    > decode, at least for the vonage ones.

    Proprietary!? Can't be. I thought SIP clients conformed to open standards.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 20, 2008
  15. Gordy

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >> No, its an encrypted text file that needs something in the ata to
    >> decode, at least for the vonage ones.

    > Proprietary!? Can't be. I thought SIP clients conformed to open standards.

    The provisioning is propriatory to each vendor.

    Richard, Feb 21, 2008
  16. In article <1203552352.840192@ftpsrv1>, Richard did write:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >>> No, its an encrypted text file that needs something in the ata to
    >>> decode, at least for the vonage ones.

    >> Proprietary!? Can't be. I thought SIP clients conformed to open
    >> standards.

    > The provisioning is propriatory to each vendor.

    Funny how you can't spell it even when it's spelled correctly in front of
    you.

    In any case, proprietary stuff would not work with off-the-shelf SIP
    clients.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 21, 2008
  17. Gordy

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >> The provisioning is propriatory to each vendor.

    > Funny how you can't spell it even when it's spelled correctly in front of
    > you.

    So what?

    > In any case, proprietary stuff would not work with off-the-shelf SIP
    > clients.

    Thats right, if your vonage account is set up for a provisioned ata,
    then thats all you can use, whereas if you change to bring your own
    device, you get a userid, password and proxy to put into whatever you
    choose. Some plans are not available on BYOD which is why there is the
    interest in getting the information out of the provisioning file and
    using it on other things.

    Richard, Feb 21, 2008