    employee violated policy and brought the data home."

    http://www.securityfocus.com/news/11393

    Imhotep
    Imhotep, May 23, 2006

  2. Imhotep

    Alun Jones Guest

    Imhotep wrote:
    > "The U.S. government warned on Monday that a database containing
    > sensitive information about veterans and their families had been
    > stolen, after an employee violated policy and brought the data home."
    >
    > http://www.securityfocus.com/news/11393

    Your'e so right to be posting this message - which might otherwise be
    thought significantly off-topic, since there's no mention of Microsoft - in
    this newsgroup; you have once again reminded us that if these people were to
    simply use the tools provided in Windows (EFS, for instance) to encrypt
    data, this sort of theft would become a "ho hum" event.

    Thank you once again for pointing out to the world how Windows security can
    be used to protect important information and keep us all safe. I'm glad we
    have you as a voice of sanity to tell users how to secure their systems
    using Windows, rather than advertising random operating-system bigotry or
    unproven and untested security mantras.

    Alun.
    ~~~~
    Texas Imperial Software | Find us at http://www.wftpd.com or email
    23921 57th Ave SE | .
    Washington WA 98072-8661 | WFTPD, WFTPD Pro are Windows FTP servers.
    Fax/Voice +1(425)807-1787 | Try our NEW client software, WFTPD Explorer.
    Alun Jones, May 23, 2006

  3. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Alun Jones wrote:

    > Imhotep wrote:
    >> "The U.S. government warned on Monday that a database containing
    >> sensitive information about veterans and their families had been
    >> stolen, after an employee violated policy and brought the data home."
    >>
    >> http://www.securityfocus.com/news/11393

    > Your'e so right to be posting this message - which might otherwise be
    > thought significantly off-topic, since there's no mention of Microsoft -
    > in this newsgroup; you have once again reminded us that if these people
    > were to simply use the tools provided in Windows (EFS, for instance) to
    > encrypt data, this sort of theft would become a "ho hum" event.

    The only thing off topic is you in this newsgroup. I believe this group is
    for security professionals, not mindless wanna-bees...Second, a security
    breech is relevant security news...you would recognize this if, well, you
    were not such a fool...

    > Thank you once again for pointing out to the world how Windows security
    > can
    > be used to protect important information and keep us all safe. I'm glad
    > we have you as a voice of sanity to tell users how to secure their systems
    > using Windows, rather than advertising random operating-system bigotry or
    > unproven and untested security mantras.
    >
    > Alun.
    > ~~~~
    > [Please don't email posters, if a Usenet response is appropriate.]

    Your such a complete, and I mean complete moron. By the way, was it not you
    who disagreed that spyware is 99% a Microsoft issue? Than ran away form a
    challenge of investigating it, only because you were caught talking out of
    your a$$? Still waiting on you to put your money were your mouth is but
    again, your mouth is so big that no bank could cover that bet....

    Imhotep
    Imhotep, May 24, 2006
  4. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Alun Jones wrote:

    > Imhotep wrote:

    > in this newsgroup; you have once again reminded us that if these people
    > were to simply use the tools provided in Windows (EFS, for instance) to
    > encrypt data, this sort of theft would become a "ho hum" event.

    Or use Linux which also has hard drive encryption, oh yea, and it free does
    not cost you a cent, does have any problems with spyware (I know that is a
    touchy subject since I caught you bull shitting people here)....thanks
    again for reminding people how much better (and cheaper) Linux is! At least
    you are not *totally* useless...

    Imhotep
    Imhotep, May 24, 2006
  5. Imhotep

    paddy Guest

    Imhotep wrote:
    > "The U.S. government warned on Monday that a database containing sensitive
    > information about veterans and their families had been stolen, after an
    > employee violated policy and brought the data home."
    >
    > http://www.securityfocus.com/news/11393
    >
    > Imhotep

    Probably whoever stole it was after the case, computer, or whatever it
    was in. The disc was probably thrown in the nearest dumpster.
    paddy, May 24, 2006
  6. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    paddy wrote:

    > Imhotep wrote:
    >> "The U.S. government warned on Monday that a database containing
    >> sensitive information about veterans and their families had been stolen,
    >> after an employee violated policy and brought the data home."
    >>
    >> http://www.securityfocus.com/news/11393
    >>
    >> Imhotep

    > Probably whoever stole it was after the case, computer, or whatever it
    > was in. The disc was probably thrown in the nearest dumpster.

    Hopefully. Physical security still remains one of the toughest aspects to
    secure in the industry...

    Im
    Imhotep, May 24, 2006
  7. Imhotep

    TwistyCreek Guest

    paddy wrote:

    > Imhotep wrote:
    >> "The U.S. government warned on Monday that a database containing
    >> sensitive information about veterans and their families had been stolen,
    >> after an employee violated policy and brought the data home."
    >>
    >> http://www.securityfocus.com/news/11393
    >>
    >> Imhotep

    > Probably whoever stole it was after the case, computer, or whatever it was
    > in. The disc was probably thrown in the nearest dumpster.

    I wouldn't count on it. The data was a LOT more valuable than the
    equipment was, and assuming the crooks didn't know this would be foolhardy
    to say the least. they might not have intended to nab it, but if they even
    glanced at it you can bet your last dollar it's up for auction to the
    highest bidder. :(

    I remember years ago being called to a "Charles Schwab" type financial
    business to assist them with "installing some software". Turns out it was
    three 1.44 floppies containing names, addresses, phone, etc, of households
    that made over $somenumber annually, broken down in "tax brackets". I
    asked them why they needed my help, because their software parsed the data
    slick as snot. They told me that they wanted a "professional on the job"
    because they paid over $175,000 for those 3 floppy disks.

    That was clear back around 1985.
    TwistyCreek, May 24, 2006