    pockets and Velcro and loops good enough?

    --
    Matt Silberstein

    Matt Silberstein, Apr 20, 2005

  2. On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 12:49:27 GMT, Matt Silberstein
    <> wrote:

    >I am going to get a photographer's vest. Not because I truly need one,
    >but because I am a geek. Being a geek I have to get a complex one that
    >does the job. So what should I specifically look for, or is lots of
    >pockets and Velcro and loops good enough?

    Domke.....

    "Take the glamour out of war! I mean how the bloody Hell
    can you do that? Go and take the glamour out of a Huey, go
    take the glamour out of a Sheridan....Can you take the
    glamour out of a Cobra or getting stoned on China Beach?...
    Oh war is good for you, you can't take the glamour out of
    of that. It's like trying to take the glamour out of sex,
    trying to take the glamour out of the Rolling Stones...I
    mean, you know that, it just can't be done."

    Tim Page to editor asking him to "finally
    take the glamour out of war.".
    From "Nam" by Tim Page

    John A. Stovall, Apr 20, 2005

  3. In article <>, Matt
    Silberstein <> wrote:

    > I am going to get a photographer's vest. Not because I truly need one,
    > but because I am a geek. Being a geek I have to get a complex one that
    > does the job. So what should I specifically look for, or is lots of
    > pockets and Velcro and loops good enough?

    I've always liked my Quest Vest but I don't know that the company is
    still in business, although I still use the vest.

    Randall Ainsworth, Apr 20, 2005
  4. Matt Silberstein

    Eric Gill Guest

    Matt Silberstein <> wrote in

    > I am going to get a photographer's vest. Not because I truly need one,
    > but because I am a geek. Being a geek I have to get a complex one that
    > does the job. So what should I specifically look for, or is lots of
    > pockets and Velcro and loops good enough?

    Utilikilt.

    Eric Gill, Apr 20, 2005
  5. Matt Silberstein

    Richard Guest

    Visit your local war surplus store and see what they have.
    Richard

    Richard, Apr 20, 2005
  6. On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 08:16:55 -0500, in rec.photo.digital , John A.
    Stovall <> in
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 12:49:27 GMT, Matt Silberstein
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>I am going to get a photographer's vest. Not because I truly need one,
    >>but because I am a geek. Being a geek I have to get a complex one that
    >>does the job. So what should I specifically look for, or is lots of
    >>pockets and Velcro and loops good enough?

    >Domke.....

    Same to you.

    Oh, wait, that is a brand name. Thanks. It looks good. It seems that
    "what are you going to use it for" is as important a starting point
    for a vest as for a camera. I use a Sony F707, not a dSLR, so I don't
    need a vest that has pockets big enough for lenses. OTOH I am a New
    Yorker, so I probably have to get one in black. Anyway, it is so much
    fun to shop for equipment, even if it is clothing.

    --
    Matt Silberstein

    Matt Silberstein, Apr 20, 2005
  7. On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 09:32:17 -0500, in rec.photo.digital , Richard
    <> in <zJt9e.5978$> wrote:

    >Visit your local war surplus store and see what they have.
    >Richard
    >
    >Matt Silberstein wrote:
    >> I am going to get a photographer's vest. Not because I truly need one,
    >> but because I am a geek. Being a geek I have to get a complex one that
    >> does the job. So what should I specifically look for, or is lots of
    >> pockets and Velcro and loops good enough?

    Unfortunately my local war surplus store only carries hip new things.
    Now I am starting to look at the SCOTTEVEST
    (http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/Classic_bk.shtml). The question
    may well be do I want to look geeky (and nothing looks geekier than a
    photographers vest except one with the pockets full) vs. knowing how
    geeky the item really is.

    --
    Matt Silberstein

    Matt Silberstein, Apr 20, 2005
  8. Matt Silberstein

    Owamanga Guest

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 15:38:44 GMT, Matt Silberstein
    <> wrote:

    >Unfortunately my local war surplus store only carries hip new things.
    >Now I am starting to look at the SCOTTEVEST
    >(http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/Classic_bk.shtml). The question
    >may well be do I want to look geeky (and nothing looks geekier than a
    >photographers vest except one with the pockets full) vs. knowing how
    >geeky the item really is.

    Wow, if it does that x-ray shit then it's certainly worth the $129. I
    imagine you'd get a few turned heads when you go through security at
    an airport.

    --
    Owamanga!
    http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

    Owamanga, Apr 20, 2005
  9. Matt Silberstein

    Larry Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I am going to get a photographer's vest. Not because I truly need one,
    > but because I am a geek. Being a geek I have to get a complex one that
    > does the job. So what should I specifically look for, or is lots of
    > pockets and Velcro and loops good enough?
    >

    > --
    > Matt Silberstein
    >
    > All in all, if I could be any animal, I would want to be
    > a duck or a goose. They can fly, walk, and swim. Plus,
    > there there is a certain satisfaction knowing that at the
    > end of your life you will taste good with an orange sauce
    > or, in the case of a goose, a chestnut stuffing.

    You can go to a Photo Supply store and buy a genuine Photographers vest, or
    go to the sporting goods department in a discount store and buy a fishermans
    vest (for half the money).

    Mine has:

    Two large pockets at bottom left and bottom right, so charged NIMH in one,
    charged Lithium (Sony and Canon) in the other.. Two Matching pockets on the
    right recieve the discharged ones.

    Two medium pockets halfway up on left for empty memory sticks and CF cards
    Two on right for full cards.

    And the two pockets on left at top and on right at top for filters, small
    tools ect. (and those STUPID Canon lens caps that dont have a place for a
    tether.)

    Very large pocket across the back (supposed to hold an extra fishing reel I
    think) can be reached into while wearing the vest and will hold 8x10 inch
    grey card and white card ect. (I have actually carried a Sony F 828 all day
    long as a backup camera, pardon the pun).

    I believe the vest was $20 US at Sears, its definately a fishing vest, but I
    have only used it for photography. Very lightweigh, well vented and
    comfortable.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    Larry, Apr 20, 2005
  10. Matt Silberstein

    Confused Guest

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 12:54:56 -0400
    In message <>
    Larry <> wrote:

    > > I am going to get a photographer's vest. Not because I truly need one,
    > > but because I am a geek. Being a geek I have to get a complex one that
    > > does the job. So what should I specifically look for, or is lots of
    > > pockets and Velcro and loops good enough?

    (Nice troll, btw...)

    > You can go to a Photo Supply store and buy a genuine
    > Photographers vest, or go to the sporting goods department
    > in a discount store and buy a fishermans
    > vest (for half the money).
    > <snip>

    Photo vest = dork
    Fishing vest = redneck
    SPF 90 Hiking vest = geek

    TrueGeek, however, would be an imported jacket
    with 20-30 pockets for wiring up and concealing
    all your toys and accessories. ;^)

    > (...those STUPID Canon lens caps that dont
    > have a place for a tether.)

    Dedicate a pocket for lens caps. I used to have
    the same mis-conception until the wind blew a
    lens-cap-on-a-rope in front of the lens and I
    lost "one of those fleeting moments" when I
    fully depressed the shutter button.

    Jeff

    Confused, Apr 20, 2005
  11. Matt Silberstein

    Basic Wedge Guest

    I used to have a "Domke" photo vest. It was alright, but the pockets never
    seemed to be the right size or shape, and it offered no protection for the
    equipment. Also, the collar dug into my neck when the vest was loaded with
    heavy gear. For a while, I had thought about getting a "Campco" vest
    http://www.mkwphotography.com/vest.htm They look pretty good, and are
    certainly affordable.

    Lately, though, I've concluded a vest just doesn't do enough of what I want
    them to do, and I've turned my attention to a belt and harness style rig.
    Most, I've seen, are from the "Street and Field" series by "Lowepro". You
    start by buying a belt and shoulder harness, then attach different
    accessories to the rig. I like this idea better, because every accessory
    pouch, bag, or case is made to hold a specific type of equipment eg: a lens,
    or filters, or a camera body, etc. Another maker of this type of system is
    called "Kenisis". I'm told their stuff is a better choice if you're planning
    to use it in extreme conditions. This stuff isn't cheap, but if it's better
    for the job, I want it.

    Rob

    Basic Wedge, Apr 20, 2005
  12. On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 18:32:50 GMT, in rec.photo.digital , Confused
    <> in
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 12:54:56 -0400
    >In message <>
    >Larry <> wrote:
    >
    >> > I am going to get a photographer's vest. Not because I truly need one,
    >> > but because I am a geek. Being a geek I have to get a complex one that
    >> > does the job. So what should I specifically look for, or is lots of
    >> > pockets and Velcro and loops good enough?

    >(Nice troll, btw...)

    Not a troll, I am really looking to buy a vest. Likely I will just go
    for the $29 mesh vest from Adorama, but the Columbia vest from Tent
    and Trails looks good as well.

    >> You can go to a Photo Supply store and buy a genuine
    >> Photographers vest, or go to the sporting goods department
    >> in a discount store and buy a fishermans
    >> vest (for half the money).
    >> <snip>

    >Photo vest = dork
    >Fishing vest = redneck
    >SPF 90 Hiking vest = geek

    >TrueGeek, however, would be an imported jacket
    >with 20-30 pockets for wiring up and concealing
    >all your toys and accessories. ;^)

    Yep, the SeV vest I found. Of course $129 for a vest vs. $29 is a big
    difference.

    >> (...those STUPID Canon lens caps that dont
    >> have a place for a tether.)

    >Dedicate a pocket for lens caps. I used to have
    >the same mis-conception until the wind blew a
    >lens-cap-on-a-rope in front of the lens and I
    >lost "one of those fleeting moments" when I
    >fully depressed the shutter button.

    As I have said elsewhere, my first lens cap move is to ensure that the
    string breaks before my camera does. Sob.

    --
    Matt Silberstein

    Matt Silberstein, Apr 20, 2005
  13. On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 19:01:53 GMT, in rec.photo.digital , "Basic Wedge"
    <> in <BGx9e.1085483$6l.745181@pd7tw2no> wrote:

    >I used to have a "Domke" photo vest. It was alright, but the pockets never
    >seemed to be the right size or shape, and it offered no protection for the
    >equipment. Also, the collar dug into my neck when the vest was loaded with
    >heavy gear. For a while, I had thought about getting a "Campco" vest
    >http://www.mkwphotography.com/vest.htm They look pretty good, and are
    >certainly affordable.
    >
    >Lately, though, I've concluded a vest just doesn't do enough of what I want
    >them to do, and I've turned my attention to a belt and harness style rig.
    >Most, I've seen, are from the "Street and Field" series by "Lowepro". You
    >start by buying a belt and shoulder harness, then attach different
    >accessories to the rig. I like this idea better, because every accessory
    >pouch, bag, or case is made to hold a specific type of equipment eg: a lens,
    >or filters, or a camera body, etc. Another maker of this type of system is
    >called "Kenisis". I'm told their stuff is a better choice if you're planning
    >to use it in extreme conditions. This stuff isn't cheap, but if it's better
    >for the job, I want it.

    I had thought of that idea myself and was delighted to find that
    someone made it. It is an interesting idea and could do more than just
    photography. But I suspect that it ends up at $150-$200 easily by the
    time I bought all of the pouches.

    --
    Matt Silberstein

    Matt Silberstein, Apr 20, 2005
  14. Matt Silberstein

    Ken Tough Guest

    Matt Silberstein <> wrote:

    >--
    >Matt Silberstein

    >All in all, if I could be any animal, I would want to be
    >a duck or a goose. They can fly, walk, and swim. Plus,
    >there there is a certain satisfaction knowing that at the
    >end of your life you will taste good with an orange sauce
    >or, in the case of a goose, a chestnut stuffing.

    And someone will eat your liver, with a nice Chianti .. .. ..

    [are you sure you aren't German?]

    --
    Ken Tough

    Ken Tough, Apr 20, 2005
  15. On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 21:43:05 +0200, in rec.photo.digital , Ken Tough
    <> in <> wrote:

    >Matt Silberstein <> wrote:
    >
    >>--
    >>Matt Silberstein

    >>All in all, if I could be any animal, I would want to be
    >>a duck or a goose. They can fly, walk, and swim. Plus,
    >>there there is a certain satisfaction knowing that at the
    >>end of your life you will taste good with an orange sauce
    >>or, in the case of a goose, a chestnut stuffing.

    >And someone will eat your liver, with a nice Chianti .. .. ..
    >
    >[are you sure you aren't German?]

    Nope, I just like long convoluted sentences.

    --
    Matt Silberstein

    Matt Silberstein, Apr 20, 2005
  16. Matt Silberstein

    Dave Guest

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 12:49:27 GMT, Matt Silberstein <> wrote:

    >I am going to get a photographer's vest. Not because I truly need one,
    >but because I am a geek. Being a geek I have to get a complex one that
    >does the job. So what should I specifically look for, or is lots of
    >pockets and Velcro and loops good enough?

    I wear a fly fishing vest. And fishnet stockings and high heels...

    Dave, Apr 20, 2005
  17. Matt Silberstein

    Ken Tough Guest

    Matt Silberstein wrote:

    ><> wrote:
    >>Matt wrote:

    >>>All in all, if I could be any animal, I would want to be
    >>>a duck or a goose. They can fly, walk, and swim. Plus,
    >>>there there is a certain satisfaction knowing that at the
    >>>end of your life you will taste good with an orange sauce
    >>>or, in the case of a goose, a chestnut stuffing.

    >>And someone will eat your liver, with a nice Chianti .. .. ..
    >>
    >>[are you sure you aren't German?]

    >Nope, I just like long convoluted sentences.

    [it was a reference to the somewhat odd German guy who
    voluntarily (and presumably, satisfactorily) was eaten by
    another German guy, but not before they both dined on his
    (reputedly disappointingly tough) penis].

    --
    Ken Tough

    Ken Tough, Apr 20, 2005
  18. On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 23:48:25 +0200, in rec.photo.digital , Ken Tough
    <> in <9mccVMBp4sZCFw$> wrote:

    >Matt Silberstein wrote:
    >
    >><> wrote:

    >>>And someone will eat your liver, with a nice Chianti .. .. ..
    >>>
    >>>[are you sure you aren't German?]

    >>Nope, I just like long convoluted sentences.

    >[it was a reference to the somewhat odd German guy who
    >voluntarily (and presumably, satisfactorily) was eaten by
    >another German guy, but not before they both dined on his
    >(reputedly disappointingly tough) penis].

    Oh, never mind.

    --
    Matt Silberstein

    Matt Silberstein, Apr 20, 2005
  19. On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 21:29:30 GMT, in rec.photo.digital , Dave
    <> in
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 12:49:27 GMT, Matt Silberstein <> wrote:
    >
    >>I am going to get a photographer's vest. Not because I truly need one,
    >>but because I am a geek. Being a geek I have to get a complex one that
    >>does the job. So what should I specifically look for, or is lots of
    >>pockets and Velcro and loops good enough?

    >I wear a fly fishing vest. And fishnet stockings and high heels...

    Photos please.

    --
    Matt Silberstein

    Matt Silberstein, Apr 20, 2005
  20. Matt Silberstein

    Confused Guest

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 19:23:05 GMT
    In message <>
    Posted from Church of Last Thursday
    Matt Silberstein <> wrote:

    > > (Nice troll, btw...)

    > Not a troll

    I could (SHOULD) have been clearer... verb, not noun...
    ....you were "fishing/looking" for a wide range of options... ;^)

    "My name's Matt, and I'm a Geek."

    "HI MATT!"

    Jeff

    Confused, Apr 20, 2005