Very wierd problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bob Peterson, Feb 8, 2004.

  1. Bob Peterson

    Bob Peterson Guest

    I can no longer access web content.

    Email and news works fine, and IE settings seem fine, and the other computer
    I have attached to the same cable modem (through a router) works fine as
    well.

    I went into IE and deleted all the cache files, cookies and history (one
    never knows what might work here), but same problem.

    No matter what web site I go to I get the same screen:

    The page cannot be displayed
    The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site
    might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your
    browser settings.

    Then screen offers an option to detect network settings, but that does not
    seem to help any.

    I did note that this morning some kind of windows update occurred. I wonder
    if somehow they are related. I don't recall if I accessed web content prior
    to the update or not, but don't think I have since.

    OS = XP.

    Anyone have any ideas?

    Bob Peterson, Feb 8, 2004

  2. Bob Peterson

    RDS Guest

    What ISP do you have? What are your security settings?

    As a first step go to the command prompt and type in ipconfig /flushdns and
    hit enter.

    Note: There is a space between ipconfig and /flushdns.

    RDS, Feb 8, 2004

  3. Bob Peterson

    Unk Guest

    First, reboot and see if that fixed it.

    Failing that, Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Network Connections,
    Click Local Area Connection, "Support" tab, and click the "Repair" button.

    Unk, Feb 8, 2004
  4. Bob Peterson

    Bob Peterson Guest

    "RDS" <> wrote in message
    > What ISP do you have? What are your security settings?
    >
    > As a first step go to the command prompt and type in ipconfig /flushdns

    and
    > hit enter.
    >
    > Note: There is a space between ipconfig and /flushdns.

    Well, I first tried restoring Windows back to before the update. No
    difference.

    Then I tried your suggestion. IE immediately locked up and I could not shut
    it off even from the task manager, and was forced to use the power switch.

    When it rebooted it went through scandisk and said a bunch of IE temp
    folders in documents and settings (apparrently hidden files since I can't
    even see them) were corrupt. These I later deleted using cleanup disk.

    Now I seem to be able to access web content normally. very strange. wonder
    what happened.

    Bob Peterson, Feb 8, 2004
  5. Bob Peterson

    Mike245 Guest

    Bob Peterson wrote:

    > I can no longer access web content.

    Check your connection settings. You may need to be on a proxy or your
    proxy may have failed. You should contact your ISP for directions.

    In the meantime you can use Mozilla. Highly recommended.

    http://www.mozilla.org/

    --
    Mike
    Block Banner Ads Now

    Mike245, Feb 8, 2004
  6. Bob Peterson

    Bob Peterson Guest

    "Mike245" <> wrote in message
    > Bob Peterson wrote:
    >
    > > I can no longer access web content.

    > Check your connection settings. You may need to be on a proxy or your
    > proxy may have failed. You should contact your ISP for directions.

    no proxy involved. not sure why it works now, but i guess the dnsflush
    thingee worked.

    Bob Peterson, Feb 8, 2004