Very strange harddisk problem

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by BigAl.NZ@gmail.com, Nov 28, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Hi guys,

    This is a weird problem to do with a harddisk and its powering. Here
    is what has happened, and what I have done.

    1. Friend brought HP PC over, not power, so replaced the 300W PSU with
    a 400W Enermax and now PC completes post but complains of no Hard disk
    - cant even hear/feel the hard disk spinning up. The hard disk is a
    Samsung SATA.

    2. Checked hard disk connections, and check with a second PSU that it
    wasnt just a faulty cable. Still cant feel/hear hard disk spinning up.

    3. Connect the hard disk to another working PC via a external USB/IDE
    bridge. Hard disk spins up fine and can see the data on the drive etc
    etc.

    4. Connect the data cable of the hard disk to the HP PC, but power it
    via the external USB/IDE bridge power pack, now I can hear the drive
    spin up and the PC boots into windows.

    So far the tests I have not isolated the fault, if it was a faulty PSU
    changing PSU's should have fixed, if the drive was faulty then it
    should not have worked with the USB/IDE bridge.

    5. Plug in a brand new Seagate SATA to the HP PC, using the new
    Enermax in the HP for both data and power, and where the Samsung drive
    would not power up, the Seagate spins up just fine.

    I intend next to plug the Samsung hard disk from the HP into my PC and
    see if it spins up.

    Anyone got any suggestions why the Samsung hard disk does not spin up
    in the HP?

    Cheers in advance,

    -Al
    , Nov 28, 2008

  2. Jesco Lincke Guest

    schrieb:
    > Hi guys,
    >
    > This is a weird problem to do with a harddisk and its powering. Here
    > is what has happened, and what I have done.
    >
    > 1. Friend brought HP PC over, not power, so replaced the 300W PSU with
    > a 400W Enermax and now PC completes post but complains of no Hard disk
    > - cant even hear/feel the hard disk spinning up. The hard disk is a
    > Samsung SATA.
    >
    > 2. Checked hard disk connections, and check with a second PSU that it
    > wasnt just a faulty cable. Still cant feel/hear hard disk spinning up.
    >
    > 3. Connect the hard disk to another working PC via a external USB/IDE
    > bridge. Hard disk spins up fine and can see the data on the drive etc
    > etc.
    >
    > 4. Connect the data cable of the hard disk to the HP PC, but power it
    > via the external USB/IDE bridge power pack, now I can hear the drive
    > spin up and the PC boots into windows.
    >
    > So far the tests I have not isolated the fault, if it was a faulty PSU
    > changing PSU's should have fixed, if the drive was faulty then it
    > should not have worked with the USB/IDE bridge.
    >
    > 5. Plug in a brand new Seagate SATA to the HP PC, using the new
    > Enermax in the HP for both data and power, and where the Samsung drive
    > would not power up, the Seagate spins up just fine.
    >
    > I intend next to plug the Samsung hard disk from the HP into my PC and
    > see if it spins up.
    >
    > Anyone got any suggestions why the Samsung hard disk does not spin up
    > in the HP?
    >
    > Cheers in advance,
    >
    > -Al

    Provided you are sure you actually reproduced the same connection with
    both drives:
    Have you also tried different power/data cables?
    Did you try an measure voltage on the HD power connector?
    Can you try and measure voltage drop (via a different connector) during
    boot with the "faulty" drive connected?

    Maybe more ideas will come up (others will certailny have more)

    Good luck,

    Jesco
    Jesco Lincke, Nov 28, 2008

  3. Motherboard?

    The Real Truth MVP, Nov 28, 2008
  4. Nelson Ogden Guest

    Are you connecting the problem hard drive with the four pin Molex power
    connector or the thin SATA connector?

    Are you using the same type of power connector both in the computer and in
    the USB adapter?

    - Nelson

    Nelson Ogden, Nov 29, 2008
  5. chuckcar Guest

    "The Real Truth MVP" <> wrote in

    > Motherboard?

    Read a bit slower. It POSTS and then says no HD.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Nov 29, 2008
  6. What the hell does the HD plug into? the Monitor? asshole.

    The Real Truth MVP, Nov 29, 2008
  7. Arno Wagner Guest

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage wrote:
    > Hi guys,

    > This is a weird problem to do with a harddisk and its powering. Here
    > is what has happened, and what I have done.

    > 1. Friend brought HP PC over, not power, so replaced the 300W PSU with
    > a 400W Enermax and now PC completes post but complains of no Hard disk
    > - cant even hear/feel the hard disk spinning up. The hard disk is a
    > Samsung SATA.

    > 2. Checked hard disk connections, and check with a second PSU that it
    > wasnt just a faulty cable. Still cant feel/hear hard disk spinning up.

    > 3. Connect the hard disk to another working PC via a external USB/IDE
    > bridge. Hard disk spins up fine and can see the data on the drive etc
    > etc.

    > 4. Connect the data cable of the hard disk to the HP PC, but power it
    > via the external USB/IDE bridge power pack, now I can hear the drive
    > spin up and the PC boots into windows.

    > So far the tests I have not isolated the fault, if it was a faulty PSU
    > changing PSU's should have fixed, if the drive was faulty then it
    > should not have worked with the USB/IDE bridge.

    > 5. Plug in a brand new Seagate SATA to the HP PC, using the new
    > Enermax in the HP for both data and power, and where the Samsung drive
    > would not power up, the Seagate spins up just fine.

    > I intend next to plug the Samsung hard disk from the HP into my PC and
    > see if it spins up.

    > Anyone got any suggestions why the Samsung hard disk does not spin up
    > in the HP?

    > Cheers in advance,

    > -Al

    Sounds very much like a faulty power connector. Rare, but it
    happens.

    Arno
    Arno Wagner, Nov 29, 2008
  8. Guest

    On Nov 29, 10:38 am, "PeeCee" <ab...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > > Hi guys,

    > > This is a weird problem to do with a harddisk and its powering. Here
    > > is what has happened, and what I have done.

    > > 1. Friend brought HP PC over, not power, so replaced the 300W PSU with
    > > a 400W Enermax and now PC completes post but complains of no Hard disk
    > > - cant even hear/feel the hard disk spinning up. The hard disk is a
    > > Samsung SATA.

    > > 2. Checked hard disk connections, and check with a second PSU that it
    > > wasnt just a faulty cable. Still cant feel/hear hard disk spinning up.

    > > 3. Connect the hard disk to another working PC via a external USB/IDE
    > > bridge. Hard disk spins up fine and can see the data on the drive etc
    > > etc.

    > > 4. Connect the data cable of the hard disk to the HP PC, but power it
    > > via the external USB/IDE bridge power pack, now I can hear the drive
    > > spin up and the PC boots into windows.

    > > So far the tests I have not isolated the fault, if it was a faulty PSU
    > > changing PSU's should have fixed, if the drive was faulty then it
    > > should not have worked with the USB/IDE bridge.

    > > 5. Plug in a brand new Seagate SATA to the HP PC, using the new
    > > Enermax in the HP for both data and power, and where the Samsung drive
    > > would not power up, the Seagate spins up just fine.

    > > I intend next to plug the Samsung hard disk from the HP into my PC and
    > > see if it spins up.

    > > Anyone got any suggestions why the Samsung hard disk does not spin up
    > > in the HP?

    > > Cheers in advance,

    > > -Al

    > Al
    >
    > I  had PC in here a couple of months ago where the owner 'swore' the SATA
    > leads were plugged in correctly.
    > When checked  they had forced the power connector on upside down.
    >
    > It is very easy to knock the little location/polarity tab off a SATA socket.
    > Once this is done the cable will go on either way up, but because the
    > contacts don't meet the drive won't go.
    > (There is no shorting danger as the contacts only touch plastic.)
    >
    > You usually get an idea it's in wrong because the plugs won't sit square
    > when both plugs (data & power) are inserted.
    > There are little protrusions on the side of the plugs that interfere with
    > one another if they are not inserted the right way up.
    >
    > Be interested to know if that was the problem.
    >
    > BTW
    > "The hard disk is a  Samsung SATA."
    > "external USB/IDE bridge"
    > ???????
    >
    > Best
    >
    > Paul
    >
    > -- Posted on news://freenews.netfront.net - Complaints to --

    Thanks Paul, a pretty reasonable suggestion, but thats was'nt.

    Cheers

    -Al
    , Nov 29, 2008
  9. Guest

    > Sounds very much like a faulty power connector. Rare, but it
    > happens.
    >
    > Arno

    I tried two different Power Supplies......same prob on both! In fact
    make it 3 PSU's cause I also tried plugging it into my PC.

    Al
    , Nov 29, 2008
  10. Guest

    On Nov 29, 3:10 pm, "Nelson Ogden" <nelsonogden-remove-this-to-
    > wrote:
    > Are you connecting the problem hard drive with the four pin Molex power
    > connector or the thin SATA connector?
    >
    > Are you using the same type of power connector both in the computer and in
    > the USB adapter?
    >
    > - Nelson

    Same type (SATA Power) yes, but not the same one.

    -Al
    , Nov 29, 2008
  11. Guest

    On Nov 29, 9:09 am, Jesco Lincke <> wrote:
    > schrieb:
    >
    > > Hi guys,

    > > This is a weird problem to do with a harddisk and its powering. Here
    > > is what has happened, and what I have done.

    > > 1. Friend brought HP PC over, not power, so replaced the 300W PSU with
    > > a 400W Enermax and now PC completes post but complains of no Hard disk
    > > - cant even hear/feel the hard disk spinning up. The hard disk is a
    > > Samsung SATA.

    > > 2. Checked hard disk connections, and check with a second PSU that it
    > > wasnt just a faulty cable. Still cant feel/hear hard disk spinning up.

    > > 3. Connect the hard disk to another working PC via a external USB/IDE
    > > bridge. Hard disk spins up fine and can see the data on the drive etc
    > > etc.

    > > 4. Connect the data cable of the hard disk to the HP PC, but power it
    > > via the external USB/IDE bridge power pack, now I can hear the drive
    > > spin up and the PC boots into windows.

    > > So far the tests I have not isolated the fault, if it was a faulty PSU
    > > changing PSU's should have fixed, if the drive was faulty then it
    > > should not have worked with the USB/IDE bridge.

    > > 5. Plug in a brand new Seagate SATA to the HP PC, using the new
    > > Enermax in the HP for both data and power, and where the Samsung drive
    > > would not power up, the Seagate spins up just fine.

    > > I intend next to plug the Samsung hard disk from the HP into my PC and
    > > see if it spins up.

    > > Anyone got any suggestions why the Samsung hard disk does not spin up
    > > in the HP?

    > > Cheers in advance,

    > > -Al

    > Provided you are sure you actually reproduced the same connection with
    > both drives:
    > Have you also tried different power/data cables?

    Yes.

    > Did you try an measure voltage on the HD power connector?

    I measured it when it was disconnected yes. I couldnt see a way to
    back probe a sata power connector, and I didnt know where on the drive
    PCB to measure it.

    > Can you try and measure voltage drop (via a different connector) during
    > boot with the "faulty" drive connected?

    Sounds like a good idea. Can you explain how I measure it?

    > Maybe more ideas will come up (others will certailny have more)
    >
    > Good luck,
    >
    > Jesco

    Thanks

    -Al
    , Nov 29, 2008
  12. Rod Speed Guest

    wrote
    > Jesco Lincke <> wrote
    >> schrieb:

    >>> This is a weird problem to do with a harddisk and its powering.
    >>> Here is what has happened, and what I have done.

    >>> 1. Friend brought HP PC over, not power, so replaced the 300W PSU
    >>> with a 400W Enermax and now PC completes post but complains of no
    >>> Hard disk - cant even hear/feel the hard disk spinning up. The hard
    >>> disk is a Samsung SATA.

    >>> 2. Checked hard disk connections, and check with a second PSU that
    >>> it wasnt just a faulty cable. Still cant feel/hear hard disk spinning up.

    >>> 3. Connect the hard disk to another working PC via a external USB/IDE
    >>> bridge. Hard disk spins up fine and can see the data on the drive etc etc.

    >>> 4. Connect the data cable of the hard disk to the HP PC, but power
    >>> it via the external USB/IDE bridge power pack, now I can hear the
    >>> drive spin up and the PC boots into windows.

    >>> So far the tests I have not isolated the fault, if it was a faulty
    >>> PSU changing PSU's should have fixed, if the drive was faulty
    >>> then it should not have worked with the USB/IDE bridge.

    Are those completely reproducible, it always fails to work when internal,
    never fails to work when the bridge is involved in powering the drive ?

    If not, it may be something as basic as a cracked trace or dry joint on the power
    connector of the Samsung drive and its mechanical activity that gives the variable results.

    >>> 5. Plug in a brand new Seagate SATA to the HP PC, using the new
    >>> Enermax in the HP for both data and power, and where the Samsung
    >>> drive would not power up, the Seagate spins up just fine.

    >>> I intend next to plug the Samsung hard disk from the HP into my PC and see if it spins up.

    What happened when you did that ?

    >>> Anyone got any suggestions why the Samsung hard disk does not spin up in the HP?

    See above. If it fails to spin up in the HP PC and your own PC, they should replace it under warranty.

    Safer to not tell them about it powering up when the bridge is involved in powering it.

    >> Provided you are sure you actually reproduced the same connection with both drives:
    >> Have you also tried different power/data cables?

    > Yes.

    >> Did you try an measure voltage on the HD power connector?

    > I measured it when it was disconnected yes. I couldnt see a way to
    > back probe a sata power connector, and I didnt know where on the drive
    > PCB to measure it.

    You have to work out whats happening with the power lines from the power connector.
    It usually reasonably obvious with a pinout of the sata power connector in hand, with
    the drive loose on the desktop and powered with an esata cable set.

    There should be some caps across the rails and its usually not that hard to measure
    across those. Its obvious from the voltage you see when you have the rails.

    >> Can you try and measure voltage drop (via a different connector)
    >> during boot with the "faulty" drive connected?

    > Sounds like a good idea. Can you explain how I measure it?

    See above.
    Rod Speed, Nov 29, 2008
  13. chuckcar Guest

    "The Real Truth MVP" <> wrote in

    > What the hell does the HD plug into? the Monitor? asshole.

    The SATA controller. Possibly a card in which case *not* the MB idiot.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Nov 29, 2008
  14. Arno Wagner Guest

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage wrote:

    >> Sounds very much like a faulty power connector. Rare, but it
    >> happens.
    >>
    >> Arno

    > I tried two different Power Supplies......same prob on both! In fact
    > make it 3 PSU's cause I also tried plugging it into my PC.

    > Al

    Ok, try the following: Only connect power but not SATA. See
    Whether the drive spins. Then repeat with SATA cable connected.

    Arno
    Arno Wagner, Nov 30, 2008
  15. Franc Zabkar Guest

    On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 11:50:14 -0800 (PST), put
    finger to keyboard and composed:

    >Hi guys,
    >
    >This is a weird problem to do with a harddisk and its powering. Here
    >is what has happened, and what I have done.
    >
    >1. Friend brought HP PC over, not power, so replaced the 300W PSU with
    >a 400W Enermax and now PC completes post but complains of no Hard disk
    >- cant even hear/feel the hard disk spinning up. The hard disk is a
    >Samsung SATA.
    >
    >2. Checked hard disk connections, and check with a second PSU that it
    >wasnt just a faulty cable. Still cant feel/hear hard disk spinning up.
    >
    >3. Connect the hard disk to another working PC via a external USB/IDE
    >bridge. Hard disk spins up fine and can see the data on the drive etc
    >etc.
    >
    >4. Connect the data cable of the hard disk to the HP PC, but power it
    >via the external USB/IDE bridge power pack, now I can hear the drive
    >spin up and the PC boots into windows.
    >
    >So far the tests I have not isolated the fault, if it was a faulty PSU
    >changing PSU's should have fixed, if the drive was faulty then it
    >should not have worked with the USB/IDE bridge.
    >
    >5. Plug in a brand new Seagate SATA to the HP PC, using the new
    >Enermax in the HP for both data and power, and where the Samsung drive
    >would not power up, the Seagate spins up just fine.
    >
    >I intend next to plug the Samsung hard disk from the HP into my PC and
    >see if it spins up.
    >
    >Anyone got any suggestions why the Samsung hard disk does not spin up
    >in the HP?
    >
    >Cheers in advance,
    >
    >-Al

    Could your problem be the result of some peculiar implementation of
    staggered spin-up ???

    See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staggered_spinup
    and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sata

    - Franc Zabkar
    Franc Zabkar, Nov 30, 2008
  16. Franc Zabkar Guest

    On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 07:26:22 +1100, Franc Zabkar
    <> put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >Could your problem be the result of some peculiar implementation of
    >staggered spin-up ???
    >
    >See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staggered_spinup
    >and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sata

    Power-up in Standby ???
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-up_in_standby

    Power-up in standby (PUIS) or power management 2 mode (PM2) is a SATA
    hard disk configuration which prevents the drive from automatic spinup
    when power is applied. The spinup occurs later by an ATA command, only
    when the disk is needed, to conserve electric power.

    PM2 requires corresponding BIOS support. If PM2 is enabled on the
    drive but not supported by the BIOS, the drive will not be detected by
    the system.

    PM2 can usually be enabled by a jumper shunt on the drive.

    - Franc Zabkar
    Franc Zabkar, Nov 30, 2008
  17. Arno Wagner Guest

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Franc Zabkar <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 07:26:22 +1100, Franc Zabkar
    > <> put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >>Could your problem be the result of some peculiar implementation of
    >>staggered spin-up ???
    >>
    >>See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staggered_spinup
    >>and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sata

    > Power-up in Standby ???
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-up_in_standby

    My suspicions as well. If the drive auto-spins but the
    controller tells it not to, powering up with SATA disconnected
    should see the drive spin, while with SATA connected should
    prevent the spin-up.

    If it does powerr-up ins tandby, it should never spin is SATA
    is disconnected, as well in the power configurations the OP
    observed it to spin.

    > Power-up in standby (PUIS) or power management 2 mode (PM2) is a SATA
    > hard disk configuration which prevents the drive from automatic spinup
    > when power is applied. The spinup occurs later by an ATA command, only
    > when the disk is needed, to conserve electric power.

    > PM2 requires corresponding BIOS support. If PM2 is enabled on the
    > drive but not supported by the BIOS, the drive will not be detected by
    > the system.

    > PM2 can usually be enabled by a jumper shunt on the drive.

    I think it is also possible to configure this in software.
    Linux "hdparm" claims to be able to set/clear this (at least for some
    drives/controllers) with the '-s' command line switch.

    Arno
    Arno Wagner, Dec 1, 2008
  18. Guest

    amsung drive and its mechanical activity that gives the variable
    results.

    > What happened when you did that ?

    Still did not spin up.

    > > I measured it when it was disconnected yes. I couldnt see a way to
    > > back probe a sata power connector, and I didnt know where on the drive
    > > PCB to measure it.

    > You have to work out whats happening with the power lines from the power connector.
    > It usually reasonably obvious with a pinout of the sata power connector in hand, with
    > the drive loose on the desktop and powered with an esata cable set.
    >
    > There should be some caps across the rails and its usually not that hard to measure
    > across those. Its obvious from the voltage you see when you have the rails.

    I have given the friend the drive back now. Bit of a shame as it would
    have been nice to get to the bottom of it!

    Thank anyways,

    -Al
    , Dec 1, 2008
  19. Franc Zabkar Guest

    On 1 Dec 2008 10:31:46 GMT, Arno Wagner <> put finger to
    keyboard and composed:

    >In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Franc Zabkar <> wrote:

    >> PM2 can usually be enabled by a jumper shunt on the drive.

    >I think it is also possible to configure this in software.
    >Linux "hdparm" claims to be able to set/clear this (at least for some
    >drives/controllers) with the '-s' command line switch.
    >
    >Arno

    I found this forum discussion on staggered spin-up and power-up in
    standby:
    http://www.google.com/notebook/public/15787230138677224732/BDQs4SwoQ2LDz9bMh

    "After some investigation, I have determined that the problem is the
    eight drives that were connected to the Highpoint controller no longer
    spin-up when power is applied. I suspect that somehow the Highpoint
    controller enabled some software equivalent to the PM2 jumper - but
    only the highpoint controller could give the correct command to the
    drive for it to spin up. Both the motherboard and Areca controller
    seem to not be able to tell the drive to spin up."

    - Franc Zabkar
    Franc Zabkar, Dec 1, 2008
  20. Squeeze Guest

    Arno Wagner wrote in news:
    > In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Franc Zabkar <> wrote:
    > > On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 07:26:22 +1100, Franc Zabkar <> put finger to keyboard and composed:

    > > > Could your problem be the result of some peculiar implementation of
    > > > staggered spin-up ???
    > > >
    > > > See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staggered_spinup
    > > > and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sata

    > > Power-up in Standby ???
    > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-up_in_standby

    > My suspicions as well. If the drive auto-spins but the controller tells it
    > not to, powering up with SATA disconnected should see the drive spin,
    > while with SATA connected should prevent the spin-up.

    Utterly clueless, as always.

    > If it does powerr-up ins tandby, it should never spin is SATA
    > is disconnected, as well in the power configurations the OP
    > observed it to spin.

    Obviously the bot completely lost it. Utter gibberish.

    > > Power-up in standby (PUIS) or power management 2 mode (PM2) is a SATA
    > > hard disk configuration which prevents the drive from automatic spinup
    > > when power is applied. The spinup occurs later by an ATA command, only
    > > when the disk is needed, to conserve electric power.

    > > PM2 requires corresponding BIOS support. If PM2 is enabled on the
    > > drive but not supported by the BIOS, the drive will not be detected by
    > > the system.

    > > PM2 can usually be enabled by a jumper shunt on the drive.

    > I think it is also possible to configure this in software.
    > Linux "hdparm" claims to be able to set/clear this (at least for some
    > drives/controllers) with the '-s' command line switch.

    In which case the drive never spins unless it gets the spin command.

    Squeeze, Dec 11, 2008