Very strange Canon G5 quirk - anyone else?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by K9660R, Dec 1, 2003.

  1. K9660R

    K9660R Guest

    I will try to explain this as briefly as possible.

    I have a Canon G5 and 2 cards (one 32MB Canon brand that came with it and
    another 256MB).

    For some reason whenever I use the 32MB card, all the photos will not load into
    the computer. I've tried this on several occasions on my Mac G4 (using iPhoto)
    and my Dad's Dell (using the Canon software).

    I plug my camera directly in to the computers. The camera is recognized on
    both. There are 10 pictures on the flash card. Only 2 will load. I've repeated
    this over and over by deleting the pictures and retaking about 10 or so photos.
    Only the first 2 will load though. I can view the other 8 pictures on the
    camera so I know they are there.

    I took the same flash card with those pictures up to CVS Drugstore and used the
    self-service Digital camera picture maker. I plugged my card into the reader
    and ALL the pictures show up.

    So, in brief. For some reason the Canon brand 32MB Flash card will not load but
    2 of the 10 pictures into the computer. I only have this problem with the 32MB
    card, not my other 256MB card.

    Any clue on this? I can't determine if it's the card, the camera, or the
    software.
    Thanks for any help.

    Ken

    K9660R, Dec 1, 2003

  2. K9660R

    Jim Townsend Guest

    K9660R wrote:

    > I will try to explain this as briefly as possible.
    >
    > I have a Canon G5 and 2 cards (one 32MB Canon brand that came with it and
    > another 256MB).
    >
    > For some reason whenever I use the 32MB card, all the photos will not load
    > into the computer. I've tried this on several occasions on my Mac G4 (using
    > iPhoto) and my Dad's Dell (using the Canon software).
    >
    > I plug my camera directly in to the computers. The camera is recognized on
    > both. There are 10 pictures on the flash card. Only 2 will load. I've
    > repeated this over and over by deleting the pictures and retaking about 10 or
    > so photos. Only the first 2 will load though. I can view the other 8 pictures
    > on the camera so I know they are there.

    It could be the directory structure on the card somehow became damaged..

    There are numbered folders as subdirectories of a master folder called \dcim.
    There is also a file that contains pointers to the photos on the disk. Have
    you tried freshening the card by reformatting ? I think that will cure the
    problem. There is a card format utility in the camera menu.

    Jim Townsend, Dec 1, 2003

  3. K9660R

    Bill Kiene Guest

    Thanks a lot. I did not know that either. You actually have to format the
    memory card to your camera?

    --
    Bill Kiene

    Kiene's Fly Shop
    Sacramento, CA
    www.kiene.com

    Bill Kiene, Dec 1, 2003
  4. K9660R

    K9660R Guest

    << From: Jim Townsend ess -- Have
    you tried freshening the card by reformatting ? I think that will cure the
    problem. >><BR><BR>

    I'll have to look into that when I get home from work. That's totally new news
    to me. Thanks very much!

    Ken

    K9660R, Dec 1, 2003
  5. K9660R

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Bill Kiene wrote:

    > Thanks a lot. I did not know that either. You actually have to format the
    > memory card to your camera?

    You don't have to format your cards.. Not if they are working properly.

    They behave exactly like computer floppy disks. They have a file structure
    (where the pictures fit), and an index (that keeps track of where the pictures
    are).

    Every now and then, you can mess up this file structure or the index.. It's not
    common, but it happens.

    This could be caused by pulling a card out while an image is being transferred,
    or having the camera battery go dead while an image is being written to the
    card.

    Some of the results of a damaged file system and/or index could range from odd
    behavior to the inability of the camera to even recognize the card.

    Formatting restores the file system and index to the way it's supposed to be.
    It doesn't hurt to do it now and then.

    Jim Townsend, Dec 1, 2003