very strange behavior

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Chris E, May 24, 2004.

  1. Chris E

    Chris E Guest

    I had something really weird happen on my personal system today. First, I
    noticed that a couple of site addresses in my Favorites had changed to site
    addresses for other sites. I run IE6 on an XP Pro system by the way. Then
    I had deleted some files that I no longer needed (just some Word files) and
    noticed that after the Recycle Bin made it's little paper crunching noise,
    that the paper was still in the basket on the icon. So I went back to the
    recycle bin, right clicked and chose Empty Recycle Bin... now, here's where
    it gets weird, very weird! I get a Windows system message that says
    something to the effect of "Are you sure you wnat to delete WINDOWS?" Why
    in the Hell did it ask me that?!? I checked in the Recycle Bin, it was
    empty, but back on the desktop, the icon was still showing it was occupied.
    I tried to delete whatever was in there, and got an error message. I
    restarted and was able to get rid of whatever it was, but this all had me
    confused, so I ran a virus scan, and checked for Malware with Adaware and
    Spybot. Nothing , but the normal tracking cookies. Has anyone ever heard
    of anything like this? Is there anything else I should do before
    considering the machine exorcized? Thanks for any thoughts.

    Chris
    A+, Net+
    Chris E, May 24, 2004