Very slow startup

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Lepak Nerat, Sep 4, 2006.

  1. Lepak Nerat

    Lepak Nerat Guest

    Hiya, little time lurker first time poster, so here goes:

    AMD 4600 X2 chip
    2 IDE HDD (one on a IDE PCI expansion card)
    2 SATA HDD (all HDD 7200 spin, different makes and data transfer rates)
    2 Optical drives (1 SATA)
    floppy
    MOBO sound and network onboard, used
    3GB 6400 Corsair RAM
    7950 GFX

    Boots to Win XP logo (splash screen) fairly quick, then loads sound
    drivers, then loads my desktop picture, then stops, for about 2/3 mins,
    mouse responds, caps lock button lights on keyboard (G15 Logitech)

    Any suggestions? I use Advanced System Optimiser to get rid of windows
    'bloat' but still load sooo slooooowwwwww.

    I would like to think of myself as 'handy' when it comes to building
    PC's, but software has always been a bit of a blind spot.
    Thanks in advance.
    Lepak

    Lepak Nerat, Sep 4, 2006

  2. Lepak Nerat

    Guest

    Lepak Nerat <> wrote:

    >Any suggestions? I use Advanced System Optimiser to get rid of windows
    >'bloat' but still load sooo slooooowwwwww.

    :) it's pry this program.

    Start | Run <type in> MSCONFIG <enter> StartUp
    Disable the program and restart - you will get a warning that msconfig
    is in action.. see if it's any faster.

    --
    1000 virtual cars racing at the same time - Trackmania Sunrise :D
    http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=12321

    , Sep 4, 2006

  3. Lepak Nerat

    Lepak Nerat Guest

    tried that, all that can be disabled has been, only run:
    logitech bits for keyboard and mouse; Zone alarm; Virtual mounting
    software (daemon)

    Lepak Nerat, Sep 5, 2006
  4. Lepak Nerat

    Guest

    Lepak Nerat <> wrote:

    >tried that, all that can be disabled has been, only run:
    >logitech bits for keyboard and mouse; Zone alarm; Virtual mounting
    >software (daemon)

    I'm still going with Wintasks, it pry runs as a service
    Start | Run <type in> services.msc <enter>

    Stop, then disable the service if it does have one. (along with the
    msconfig disable) reboot and see.

    While your in the services, you can disable the things you really
    don't need running, which will help
    http://www.jasonn.com/turning_off_unnecessary_services_on_windows_xp

    > wrote:
    >> Lepak Nerat <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Any suggestions? I use Advanced System Optimiser to get rid of windows
    >>> 'bloat' but still load sooo slooooowwwwww.

    >> :) it's pry this program.
    >>

    >> Start | Run <type in> MSCONFIG <enter> StartUp
    >> Disable the program and restart - you will get a warning that msconfig
    >> is in action.. see if it's any faster.

    --
    1000 virtual cars racing at the same time - Trackmania Sunrise :D
    http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=12321

    , Sep 5, 2006
  5. Lepak Nerat

    Guest