Very slow startup

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Allan Boyd, Apr 21, 2004.

  1. Allan Boyd

    Allan Boyd Guest

    When I turn on my PC it goes to the boot screen and all I see is the
    processor line, then takes 54 seconds to get to the memory check, then about
    2 seconds on the Win XP screen then a black screen for 100 seconds, then to
    the user logon screen takes 22 seconds to the desktop.
    It was running fine before, I went to system restore and restored it back to
    when it was working well but still same problem.
    My Startup folder is Empty.
    I run SpyBot search and destroy regularly and AdAware.
    I also have Norton Internet Security running with everything on except
    Parental Control.
    Opened the Task Manager looked up a lot of processes that I didn't recognize
    on Google, all checked out.
    Did the virus check - ok
    Even did the Online Virus check at http://www.sarc.com and it checks out
    ok.
    I really don't want to reformat but I am running out of options!
    I turn it over to the really smart people out there.
    Please help.

    Al
    Allan Boyd, Apr 21, 2004

  2. Allan Boyd

    °Mike° Guest

    Basic computer maintenance

    Services Guide for Windows XP
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

    Windows XP Service Configurations
    http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

    Windows XP Strange Service Information
    http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/strangeservice.htm

    Control your startups:
    ----------------------
    StartupList
    http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/

    Startup Monitor
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml

    Startup Control Panel
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

    WinPatrol
    http://www.winpatrol.com/

    Check what's necessary and what isn't
    http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php
    http://www.windowsstartup.com/wso/index.php
    http://www.kephyr.com/filedb/index.php
    http://www.reger24.de/processes.php

    On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 17:58:37 GMT, in
    <hDyhc.185967$Pk3.110237@pd7tw1no>
    Allan Boyd scrawled:

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD
    °Mike°, Apr 21, 2004

  3. Allan Boyd

    Kiff Dusa Guest

    : http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
    :
    : ----------------------
    : http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm
    : http://www.windowsstartup.com/wso/index.php
    : http://www.3feetunder.com/krick/startup/list.html
    : http://www.greatis.com/regrun3appdatabase.htm
[...]
    : >
    : >Al
    : >
    :
    : --
    : STGP, OGPE24HSHD

    Even though I don't always ask the questions, I find a lot of great advice
    out there from °Mike° ....

    Thanks.
    Kiff Dusa, Apr 21, 2004
  4. Allan Boyd

    °Mike° Guest

    On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 14:53:42 -0400, in
    <c66g04$f56$>
    Kiff Dusa scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >: Basic computer maintenance
    >: http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
    >:
    >: Services Guide for Windows XP
    >: http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm
    >:
    >: Windows XP Service Configurations
    >: http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
    >:
    >: Windows XP Strange Service Information
    >: http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/strangeservice.htm
    >:
    >:
    >: Control your startups:
    >: ----------------------

    <snip>

    >Even though I don't always ask the questions, I find a lot of great advice
    >out there from °Mike° ....
    >
    >Thanks.

    You're welcome.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Apr 22, 2004
  5. Allan Boyd

    Allan Boyd Guest

    Hey Mike, thanks a lot man!!!! Startup Monitor worked its magic!! Problem
    solved!

    Thanks again
    Al

    Allan Boyd, Apr 23, 2004
  6. Allan Boyd

    °Mike° Guest

    You're welcome.

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 03:51:09 GMT, in
    <No0ic.230260$oR5.114378@pd7tw3no>
    Allan Boyd scrawled:

    >Hey Mike, thanks a lot man!!!! Startup Monitor worked its magic!! Problem
    >solved!
    >
    >Thanks again
    >Al
    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message