    and everything seems to be working fine there.

    Cheers
    wade
    Wade Eyre, Oct 7, 2003

  2. Wade Eyre

    Rob Guest

    Check you antivirus. If you have a virus, it'll bog down your connection
    speed.

    --
    Rob B

    "Wade Eyre" <> wrote in message
    > I have a question that I'm hoping someone might be able to help with.
    > I am having some difficulty with the connection speed between my computer
    > system and my wireless laptop with the actual bandwidth. Both are running
    > Windows 2000 P and should interact really well but when I attempt to copy

    > file from one system to the next, its brutally slow and I'm hoping someone
    > might have some suggestions as to why. My wireless is through a Linksys

    Hub

    Rob, Oct 7, 2003

  3. Wade Eyre

    Harrison Guest

    If your wireless hub or router is sitting directly adjacent to a cable
    or dsl modem, try moving it a few feet away. Sometimes they will cause
    interference.

    Harrison, Oct 7, 2003
  4. Wade Eyre

    Mike0000 Guest

    Wade Eyre wrote:

    > I have a question that I'm hoping someone might be able to help with.
    > I am having some difficulty with the connection speed between my computer
    > system and my wireless laptop with the actual bandwidth. Both are running
    > Windows 2000 P and should interact really well but when I attempt to copy a
    > file from one system to the next, its brutally slow and I'm hoping someone
    > might have some suggestions as to why. My wireless is through a Linksys Hub
    > and everything seems to be working fine there.
    >
    > Cheers
    > wade

    Wireless technology is sloooowww. Consider that 802.11b has at least 3
    modes 11mbs, 5, 3 and 1. After network overhead only a certain
    percentage of that can even be used. Now toss in interference, lost
    packets, etc and wireless is just not good for bulk transfers. If you
    are connected at 11mbs you'll be lucky to get 4 or 5mbs real world speeds.

    Also, the assumption that both PCs running the same OS == faster or
    easier dowloads is flawed.

    Workaround: when doing bulk transfers, plug it into the router. Then
    get back on the wireless of light browsing, etc.

    Also, all the bandwidth is in contention. So if you have someone else
    using the same connection and even though it says both of you are
    connected at 11mbs, the real world speeds can be as low as under 1mbs if
    both of you are fighting for the bandwidth.

    Last resort: buy a cheap-ass USB keychain drive and use it for bulk
    transfers. No need to get off the wireless and plug yourself into the
    router then.

    --
    Mike
    Block Banner Ads Now