Very slow internet access via ethernet port

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by BertieBigBollox@gmail.com, May 27, 2010.

  1. Guest

    Had an old PC running windows xp. Worked fine connected to my router
    using ethernet and powerline adaptors.

    Bought a PC from a mate running Vista Ultimate. Now I'm getting only
    about 5kb/s.

    Checked my router and reset it. OK. In fact, speed using wireless
    connection to router from another PC is absolutely fine so its not an
    internet/ISP problem. Checked my powerline adaptors and reset them. No
    difference.

    So, all I can think at the moment is:-

    1. Powerline adaptors have chosen this moment to play up. (although
    was working fine before).
    Getting hold of long CAT5 cable so I can plug directly into router to
    test this.

    2. Ethernet interface on new PC is screwed. If so, I guess I can get
    hold of a PCI LAN card or something.

    3. Somethings up with the Vista install. Maybe virus, malware etc. I
    did a malware sweep and it found some but no difference after cleaning
    this. Maybe I'll wipe it and install my old version of XP.

    Any comments?

    , May 27, 2010

  2. Is there a firmware update for the router?

    Dominic Payer, May 27, 2010

  3. chuckcar Guest

    "" <> wrote in

    > Had an old PC running windows xp. Worked fine connected to my router
    > using ethernet and powerline adaptors.

    Have you tried connecting the problematic computer directly to the
    internet without using the router at all? Do so. Routers exist mostly to
    confuse their owners and make money for computer salemen. Only partially
    joking there.

    > Bought a PC from a mate running Vista Ultimate. Now I'm getting only
    > about 5kb/s.

    Did you reinstall windows once you got it - from the Vista install CD,
    not from a "backup"?

    Have you tried diabling all your startup programs to see if this makes a
    difference?

    > Checked my router and reset it. OK. In fact, speed using wireless
    > connection to router from another PC is absolutely fine so its not an
    > internet/ISP problem. Checked my powerline adaptors and reset them. No
    > difference.
    >
    > So, all I can think at the moment is:-
    >
    > 1. Powerline adaptors have chosen this moment to play up. (although
    > was working fine before).
    > Getting hold of long CAT5 cable so I can plug directly into router to
    > test this.
    >
    > 2. Ethernet interface on new PC is screwed. If so, I guess I can get
    > hold of a PCI LAN card or something.
    >
    > 3. Somethings up with the Vista install. Maybe virus, malware etc. I
    > did a malware sweep and it found some but no difference after cleaning
    > this. Maybe I'll wipe it and install my old version of XP.

    What sort of internet connection *do* you have? If it's DSL, have you
    tried a) reseting the modem with all but the actual DSL connection
    unplugged (that is all normal phones, cords and filters on them). Also
    filters are supposed to plug *directly* into the wall jack. Unplugging
    the phones would allow you to eliminate the possibility of a bad filter.
    Also the web page display line showing the speed the modem thinks is
    possibile would be helpful in a later post as it shows some diagnostic
    information. You usually can get this by:

    http://192.168.2.1

    Although your manual for the modem from your ISP may say something
    slightly different. I depends on their modem and how it's set up.

    Finally, calling your ISP *with* the router not hooked in, they didn't
    provide it, so they don't support it, is always an option.

    The above deals exclusively with ADSL, if you have cable internet, you
    can ignore the phone jack parts obviously, but everything else still
    applies.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, May 27, 2010