Very Slow Computer

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by rivituso@medianet.pl, Apr 24, 2005.

  1. Guest

    My laptop, a Dell Inspiron 5100 with Windows XP, has for the past
    several months been acting very sluggish to a point where it is almost
    problematic.

    When I turn the computer on, it will take a very long time for it to
    boot up and start responding normally. The CPU lamp will be on almost
    constantly, rather than simply flickering. At times it can take as long
    as five minutes for the computer to start normally working and
    responding -- strange behavior for a machine that is less than two
    years old and has a 60 Gigabyte hard drive.

    At times, the computer feels and almost sounds as though it is
    labouring. The fan also sounds like it is working over time.

    Forget about watching any DVDs on this computer these days, because
    instead of a normal stream they are more like frames. At times the
    sound even gets distorted. Then everything will pop back to normal.

    I would be very grateful if somebody could advise me how to remedy this
    situation, which I am guessing are some simple steps. It is also
    possible that some of this is my fault; for example, the computer's
    desktop is quite full.

    CR

    , Apr 24, 2005

  2. bearman Guest

    Have you checked for viruses?
    --
    Bearman
    If it's got tits, tires, tubes, or transistors, it's trouble.

    bearman, Apr 24, 2005

  3. Guest

    I have, and everything appears to be clear. I run and update almost
    daily AVG free edition.

    CR

  4. John Doe Guest

    What happens when you look at Performance in Task Manager? If it shows more
    than a few percent CPU usage when there are no applications running, then
    something is using it up and slowing everything else. If the culprit does
    not appear in the Processes list then my money is on a virus or spyware.

    John Doe, Apr 24, 2005
  5. wrote:
    > My laptop, a Dell Inspiron 5100 with Windows XP, has for the past
    > several months been acting very sluggish to a point where it is almost
    > problematic.
    >
    > When I turn the computer on, it will take a very long time for it to
    > boot up and start responding normally. The CPU lamp will be on almost
    > constantly, rather than simply flickering. At times it can take as
    > long as five minutes for the computer to start normally working and
    > responding -- strange behavior for a machine that is less than two
    > years old and has a 60 Gigabyte hard drive.
    >
    > At times, the computer feels and almost sounds as though it is
    > labouring. The fan also sounds like it is working over time.
    >
    > Forget about watching any DVDs on this computer these days, because
    > instead of a normal stream they are more like frames. At times the
    > sound even gets distorted. Then everything will pop back to normal.
    >
    > I would be very grateful if somebody could advise me how to remedy
    > this situation, which I am guessing are some simple steps. It is also
    > possible that some of this is my fault; for example, the computer's
    > desktop is quite full.
    >
    > CR

    Installing Service Pak 2 will solve most of your problems.
    --
    - Frank DeLucca -

    MS-MPV

    Frank DeLucca, MS-MPV, Apr 24, 2005
  6. Well, the CPU seems to take up about 5-13 percent and is running such
    programs as iexplorer.exe, DLG.exe, alg.exe, CIDAEMON.exe. Are there any
    particular programs, for which I should look out?

    As for viruses or spyware, I run and update AVG free edition almost daily. I
    have Norton and AVG firewalls and three anti-spyware programs. Everything
    has so far been clear.

    --
    CR

    Christopher Rivituso, Apr 24, 2005
  7. I did that ages ago.

    CR

    Christopher Rivituso, Apr 24, 2005
  8. JANA Guest

    Check the computer for viruses, adwares, trojans, and the rest. Also verify
    that you have enough space for the swapfile operation. Clean out all
    un-required files in the system cache, and IE cache.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Apr 25, 2005
  9. JANATARD Guest

    JANA <> wrote:

    > <> wrote in message

    >> My laptop, a Dell Inspiron 5100 with Windows XP

    [Disk light is constantly on and boot is slow]

    > Also verify that you have enough space for the swapfile operation.

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You fucking JANATARD. There is no such thing as a
    'swapfile' in XP. Swapfiles died when Windows running on DOS died, you
    brain-dead snotfuck.

    > Clean
    > out all un-required files in the system cache, and IE cache.

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Clearing out the system cache will make his
    fucking HDD work harder, you useless piece of shit. How is the poster
    supposed to know which files are "un-required", you fucking total goose? And
    as for clearing the IE cache to fix a slow boot problem, well, there's only
    one thing that can be said...

    BWAGAGAGAGAGAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! *LMFARO* *WHEEZE* *WHEEZE*

    You are a 100% certified fucking idiot, you JANATARD. I figured I'd seen it
    all, but clearing the IE cache to fix a slow boot takes the fucking
    techno-retard netloon prize of all time. Signatured.

    --
    Poster: "My machine is very slow to boot up."
    JANA the JANATARD: "Clean out the IE cache."

    JANATARD, Apr 25, 2005