Very slow boot on Network

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by ixxe13, Feb 27, 2004.

  1. ixxe13

    ixxe13 Guest

    Hi,

    Here goes:
    Computer A: winXP pro
    Computer B: Win98

    On the "Computer A" there's two NIC. The one that's integrated with the
    motherboard is connected to
    "Computer B" for files and printer sharing. A Printer is physicaly connected
    to the "Computer B"

    The second NIC (Realtec ) is used to go on the internet. Connected to a dsl
    modem.

    Internet works fine, no problem. No NAT is used to connect the "Computer B"
    to the internet.

    The problem is between the two computers:
    When The "client for microsoft networks" and "File and Printer for Microsoft
    sharing" service are
    installed on the "Computer A", it takes up to a full minute to boot it. Very
    long. it stalled on the
    "welcome" blue screen a full minute before getting to the desktop. Once
    booted, I can share files
    between the two machines, that does work fine but I cannot print from
    machine A using the shared
    printer from "machine B". The print job freezes. I'm able to print from
    "machine B" though.

    If I disable both NIC on the Computer A, then the boot time is normal (real
    fast).

    The strange thing is that if I try to install The "client for microsoft
    network" and "File and Printer
    sharing for Microsoft Networks service" only on the integrated NIC on the
    motherboard that connect
    the two computers, the client and the service get installed automaticly also
    on the Realtec card (the
    one that goes on the internet). Aren't the two cards suppose to be
    independant ?

    Any ideas of what I should look for before I start uninstalling the whole
    network setup and switching
    things around?

    Thanx in advance

    Yves

    --
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    http://nbs.iuma.com
    ixxe13, Feb 27, 2004

  2. ixxe13

    Wizard Guest

    Here is what I would do ....

    Install Netbeui on both systems (Netbeui is on the CD with instructions
    of how to install)
    Bind Netbeui to "file & printer sharing" and unbind TCP/ip from it.
    (both NICs) (then you can use the XP's fire wall)
    I believe this will speed things up for you.
    Are you sure all of your NICs are 100 MBS?

    Wizard, Feb 28, 2004

  3. ixxe13

    ixxe13 Guest

    Thanx Wizard,

    I'll look into what you're suggesting...

    Ciao
    --
    http://nbs.iuma.com

    ixxe13, Feb 29, 2004