    do. I'm lost and need som help. The PC is around 4 years old and my
    daughter only uses it for the web and a few letters. Can you help, please?
    AL
    Alan, Oct 22, 2005

  2. Alan

    Mark Mandell Guest

    "Alan" <> wrote in message
    news:eek:...

    > My daughters PC was infected by trogens, viruses and many spyware
    > objects. This caused her PC to work extremely slow and my attempts at
    > removing these viruses etc. failed because they kept re-appearing. Having
    > spent some days trying to do this I gave up and decided a complete new
    > installation of XP was needed. This new installation has not helped at
    > all and the PC is as slow as ever and if I install ZoneAlarm and Grisofts
    > AVG anti-virus software it makes things a lot worse, infact it takes 10
    > minutes to boot to the desktop as opposed to the 7 minutes without avg and
    > zonealarm installed.
    >
    > The PC is not great spec I know, being 450 mhz processor, with 256 meg of
    > RAM and an 8 gig hard drive, but even adding an extra 256meg of RAM makes
    > no difference to the speed. I'm wondering could some of the viruses still
    > be on the hard drive even after formatting and re-partitioning the hard
    > drive prior to the new XP installation. If no can anyone offer any
    > further suggestions please, I've also install SP2 which took 5 hours to
    > do. I'm lost and need som help. The PC is around 4 years old and my
    > daughter only uses it for the web and a few letters. Can you help,
    > please?
    > AL

    You could go to the hard drive manufacturer's website and download the
    diagnostic program to check the drive's health with. This could be onto a
    floppy or burned onto a CD. Whichever you choose, make certain that it's
    the first booting device in the BIOS setup.

    Secondly, when reinstalling Windows, as I've discovered a few times now, if
    you're on DSL or cable make certain that it's disconnected from the computer
    port else you'll get attacked by viruses and spyware galore.

    Mark Mandell
    Mark Mandell, Oct 22, 2005

  3. Alan

    ibex Guest

    Try scanning with Norton Anti-Virus software instead. They have the
    free trial on their site
    ibex, Oct 23, 2005
  4. Alan

    JTJersey Guest

    On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 21:23:25 +0100, Alan wrote:

    > My daughters PC was infected by trogens, viruses and many spyware
    > objects. This caused her PC to work extremely slow and my attempts at
    > removing these viruses etc. failed because they kept re-appearing.
    > Having spent some days trying to do this I gave up and decided a
    > complete new installation of XP was needed. This new installation has
    > not helped at all and the PC is as slow as ever and if I install
    > ZoneAlarm and Grisofts AVG anti-virus software it makes things a lot
    > worse, infact it takes 10 minutes to boot to the desktop as opposed to
    > the 7 minutes without avg and zonealarm installed.
    >
    > The PC is not great spec I know, being 450 mhz processor, with 256 meg
    > of RAM and an 8 gig hard drive, but even adding an extra 256meg of RAM
    > makes no difference to the speed. I'm wondering could some of the
    > viruses still be on the hard drive even after formatting and
    > re-partitioning the hard drive prior to the new XP installation. If no
    > can anyone offer any further suggestions please, I've also install SP2
    > which took 5 hours to do. I'm lost and need som help. The PC is around
    > 4 years old and my daughter only uses it for the web and a few letters.
    > Can you help, please? AL

    What make and model of PC is it and do you have the System Restore disk
    that came with your PC when it was new? If so, run that first before
    trying to stuff WindowsXP with a service pack in there. WindowsXP alone
    can use well over 2Gigs of your hard drive and your installed programs can
    add another 4 or 5 gigs to that number. Web browsing can quickly add
    another Gig of temporary files if your browser cache is not set to a
    reasonable limit. I might venture that your 8Gig hard drive with an
    inadequate processor and marginal RAM is leaving little room for the
    programs to function efficiently. Using the system restore disk will set
    you up the way it was when it was new, probably with Windows 98, but at
    least you'll be able to compare its speed with what your dealing with now.
    You can try updating to XP after everything checks out OK with the default
    configuration. Good luck.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, Oct 23, 2005
  5. Alan

    bmoag Guest

    Ahem.
    Unfortunately certain spyware and malware can only be removed with a
    reformat and reinstallation of windows. It does not require elaborate drive
    overwritng programs to get rid of these things. Simply being connected to
    the internet while installing Windows does nothing harmful either.
    Potential problems like a fragmented hard drive are eliminated with a
    reformat and fresh install.
    Presuming you have done this and your computer is still so slow to boot one
    way to troubleshoot is:
    Disconnect your computer from the internet.
    Remove your antivirus and firewall program.
    Remove anything from your start up file.
    Run msconfig and stop anything except basic Windows functions from loading.
    A pure Windows installation with no other drivers or programs loading should
    boot on your computer in a reasonable amount of time. 256 mbs is enough to
    boot WinXP in a reasonable amount of time but otherwise performance will be
    slow on a machine of the specs you describe.
    If it still takes 5 minutes or more (have you timed it or does it just seem
    slooooow?) to boot then you have a hardware problem.
    The most common causes include failing hard drive, memory problems (the
    memory chips or the motherboard) and failing power supply. You have an old
    machine and it may be smarter to salvage what you can while you can.
    bmoag, Oct 23, 2005
  6. Alan

    Alan Guest

    On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 13:17:40 +0100, JTJersey <>
    wrote:

    > What make and model of PC is it and do you have the
    > System Restore disk
    > that came with your PC when it was new? If so, run
    > that first before
    > trying to stuff WindowsXP with a service pack in there.
    > WindowsXP alone
    > can use well over 2Gigs of your hard drive and your
    > installed programs can
    > add another 4 or 5 gigs to that number. Web browsing
    > can quickly add
    > another Gig of temporary files if your browser cache
    > is not set to a
    > reasonable limit. I might venture that your 8Gig hard
    > drive with an
    > inadequate processor and marginal RAM is leaving
    > little room for the
    > programs to function efficiently. Using the system
    > restore disk will set
    > you up the way it was when it was new, probably with
    > Windows 98, but at
    > least you'll be able to compare its speed with what
    > your dealing with now.
    > You can try updating to XP after everything checks out
    > OK with the default
    > configuration. Good luck.

    Thanks for everyone's advice, nothing seemed to work until the mention of
    Windows 98 above, this made me consider if this operating system would
    have the same slow start-up and slow running issues. So using a 98 floppy
    boot disc I Fdisked and formatted the hard drive and install Windows 98.
    It worked a dream and the 98 operating system is now working at normal
    expected speed with no hangups, loads to the desktop in 50 seconds. Can
    anyone recommend a free anti-virus and firewall program that will work
    with the first version of Windows 98 please?

    Regards
    AL
    Alan, Oct 23, 2005
  7. Alan

    JTJersey Guest

    On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 19:52:07 +0100, Alan wrote:

    > On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 13:17:40 +0100, JTJersey
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> What make and model of PC is it and do you have the System Restore disk
    >> that came with your PC when it was new? If so, run that first before
    >> trying to stuff WindowsXP with a service pack in there.
    >> WindowsXP alone
    >> can use well over 2Gigs of your hard drive and your installed programs
    >> can
    >> add another 4 or 5 gigs to that number. Web browsing can quickly add
    >> another Gig of temporary files if your browser cache is not set to a
    >> reasonable limit. I might venture that your 8Gig hard drive with an
    >> inadequate processor and marginal RAM is leaving little room for the
    >> programs to function efficiently. Using the system restore disk will
    >> set
    >> you up the way it was when it was new, probably with Windows 98, but at
    >> least you'll be able to compare its speed with what your dealing with
    >> now.
    >> You can try updating to XP after everything checks out OK with the
    >> default
    >> configuration. Good luck.

    > Thanks for everyone's advice, nothing seemed to work until the mention
    > of Windows 98 above, this made me consider if this operating system
    > would have the same slow start-up and slow running issues. So using a
    > 98 floppy boot disc I Fdisked and formatted the hard drive and install
    > Windows 98. It worked a dream and the 98 operating system is now working
    > at normal expected speed with no hangups, loads to the desktop in 50
    > seconds. Can anyone recommend a free anti-virus and firewall program
    > that will work with the first version of Windows 98 please?
    >
    > Regards
    > AL

    Glad that worked out. Are you on a high speed connection or dial up? If
    a dial up I would forgo the Firewall with the limited resources you have
    available. If your on Cable or DSL, consider a hard wired router instead.
    It will act as a hardware firewall between you and the Internet and not
    use up any computer system resources. AVG Free Anti-Virus is still
    considered one of the best, has the least drain on resources and it should
    work with Windows 98. I know that it works with Windows 98SecondEdition.
    Some other things you may want to do is scale back the size of Internet
    Explorers Temporary File Folder to about 65MB in size and use something
    like Window Washer from Webroot Software that will clear out all the
    debris that Windows accumulates while your online. Also, you can visit
    PCPitstop www.pcpitstop.com and do free periodic spyware and performance
    checks and visit Trend Micro who offers free online virus/trojan checks at
    www.housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, Oct 23, 2005
  8. Alan

    Mark Mandell Guest

    "bmoag" <> wrote in message
    > Ahem.
    > Unfortunately certain spyware and malware can only be removed with a
    > reformat and reinstallation of windows. It does not require elaborate
    > drive overwritng programs to get rid of these things. Simply being
    > connected to the internet while installing Windows does nothing harmful
    > either.

    That might be possible but based on my experience I wouldn't
    recommend.(apparently more the case with DSL than dialup).

    Mark Mandell, Oct 24, 2005