Very rusty photographer part II

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mike Forrest, Jul 7, 2005.

  1. Mike Forrest

    Mike Forrest Guest

    To the kind people at rec.photo.digital

    Thanks all for helping me choose a camera. After a suggestion by ecm,
    I looked into and decided on an Olympus 7070 wide angle zoom. Ordered
    it and waiting for it to come in.

    My next task is to choose a photo editor. My objective is to translate
    what I see in my mind's eye to a print so that other people can
    hopefully see through my eyes. I have never worked in digital media
    and find myself entering a somewhat overwhelming new world.

    I have a good bit of art training and this effects what I want to do.
    Basically, I want the ability to gain precise control of the lighting
    and color aspects of an image as I might do in a painting.

    An example description to help describe what I want: precise control
    of dodging and burning; to put a little more red in the edge of a
    leaf; to change the mix of colors in a highlight to accentuate the
    color difference between shade and shadow; to scatter in a little
    burnt umber where needed to express what I want. In other words, tight
    control of the light and color aspects of the image on a pixel by
    pixel basis.

    I have tried to look this up in reviews and google groups. I find
    myself running into major information overload. I do not have the
    sophistication to separate wheat from chaff in this area.

    Naturally I want to keep my costs to at least a moderate pain level
    with a willingness to expand later.

    Anyway, I hope some kind knowledgeable person might give me some
    pointers on where to look. Want I want may not be available but I
    would like to see what is out there that might do what I want.

    Yours,

    Mike Forrest (The very rusty photographer)

    Mike Forrest, Jul 7, 2005

  2. Mike Forrest

    Pb Guest

    Hi rusty Mike,

    Sounds like Adobe Photoshop Elements (retails around GBP70, I think) or
    Paint Shop Pro (similar price?) are what you need. Copies of Elements v2
    (which will be fine) are sometimes given away with cameras and other
    hardware (Nikon Coolpix 3700, Wacom graphics pads, for example) but I don't
    think the Olympus are included in this list. Get the camera and check the
    box contents before buying.

    As Elements 3 is just out you may get lucky with an older & cheaper copy of
    Elements 2 - which I think will be more than up to the job, certainly it is
    for me - keep your eyes open.

    Then you may want books or tutotorial videos depending on your prior
    experience.

    Oh, and there's always Photoshop CS for a bit more control over the image
    but you mentioned not wanting to spend too much.

    Paul
    --
    Paul ============}
    o o

    // Live fast, die old //
    PaulsPages are at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pcbradley/

    Pb, Jul 7, 2005

  3. Mike Forrest

    Stacey Guest

    Mike Forrest wrote:

    > To the kind people at rec.photo.digital
    >
    > Thanks all for helping me choose a camera. After a suggestion by ecm,
    > I looked into and decided on an Olympus 7070 wide angle zoom. Ordered
    > it and waiting for it to come in.
    >
    > My next task is to choose a photo editor.

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=51344&item=7167675478&rd=1

    An older used version of the -full photoshop- will likely do anything you
    could ever want or need. The main advantage to the newer versions is it
    allows more adjustments to the image in 16bit mode which you won't be
    using. There are some other things about Photoshop CS2 that are interesting
    but something like Photoshop7 is going to give you more tools than
    something like PS elements will and might end up being cheaper as well!
    Also there are TONS of cheap books that will help you deal with PS7 as well
    as lots of cool plug-ins.
    --

    Stacey

    Stacey, Jul 7, 2005
  4. Charles Schuler, Jul 7, 2005
  5. Mike Forrest

    Matt Ion Guest

    Mike Forrest wrote:

    > My next task is to choose a photo editor. My objective is to translate
    > what I see in my mind's eye to a print so that other people can
    > hopefully see through my eyes. I have never worked in digital media
    > and find myself entering a somewhat overwhelming new world.

    There are lots of excellent photo-editing apps out there (assuming
    you're running a Windows PC), and the first thing you'll want to do is
    go to www.irfanview.com and grab IrfanView and its plugins - it's a
    small, fast, free image editor for simple resizing/cropping/rotating and
    other basic functions that you'll likely come to find indispensible for
    daily simple photo work.

    Adobe Photoshop is pretty much the "Gold Standard" for photo editing,
    but be prepared for a pretty steep learning curve: it does just about
    anything you could ever imagine, but it's accordingly complex. You'd
    probably be best off taking a basic Photoshop course at a local arts or
    community college, to get a handle on the basics of working with layers
    and Photoshop functions. It's also a big program and can take a while
    to load and not the most convenient for quick image viewing, which is
    why you want something like IrfanView as well.

    You can also look into Photoshop-clone apps like GIMP and Pixel if you
    want to try the concept before shelling out...

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0528-1, 07/11/2005
    Tested on: 7/11/2005 11:16:02 AM

    Matt Ion, Jul 11, 2005
  6. Mike Forrest

    ecm Guest

    Mike Forrest wrote:
    > To the kind people at rec.photo.digital
    >
    > Thanks all for helping me choose a camera. After a suggestion by ecm,
    > I looked into and decided on an Olympus 7070 wide angle zoom. Ordered
    > it and waiting for it to come in.

    Congrats! I sure enjoy my C-5060. That wide angle is nice; I use it a
    lot.

    > My next task is to choose a photo editor. My objective is to translate
    > what I see in my mind's eye to a print so that other people can
    > hopefully see through my eyes. I have never worked in digital media
    > and find myself entering a somewhat overwhelming new world.

    SNIP

    I think you could get all the tools you need from GIMP, Picasa,
    RawShooter Essentials and Irfanview - all of them freeware. GIMP gives
    you almost all the tools you'll get from Photoshop CS; it also has a
    steep learning curve, but no worse than Photoshop has. It's not as easy
    to install, either, but if you follow the directions it works fine;
    make sure to install the HELP files, they're all the instructions
    you'll get (they've improved immensely in the last year - they're
    really very good now). The issues I've come across are the lack of
    stable plugins and the lack of good noise reduction (proprietary
    algorhithms?). Still, everything you've mentioned can be done with the
    basic tools included in GIMP.

    Good Luck!
    ECM

    ecm, Jul 12, 2005
  7. Mike Forrest

    DHB Guest

    On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 11:27:19 -0500, Mike Forrest
    <> wrote:

    >To the kind people at rec.photo.digital
    >
    >Thanks all for helping me choose a camera. After a suggestion by ecm,
    >I looked into and decided on an Olympus 7070 wide angle zoom. Ordered
    >it and waiting for it to come in.

    Mike Forrest (The very rusty photographer),

    It's all your fault! You made me look into the C-7070WZ &
    when I noticed all of it's customizable features, like 4 custom WB
    memories & 4 custom remember everything modes, I had to order 1 also.

    Even my Canon Digital Rebel/300D only has 1 custom WB memory &
    the same for my A95, so after reading several reviews I was hocked.
    Most especially because of the ton of user customization options & the
    27mm equivalent wide angle lens. Only wish the lens were a bit faster
    like the f1.8 on the C-5050, even f2.0 would nice too. I am sure the
    f2.8 on the wide angle side will be fine but faster would have been
    better.

    Anyway thanks for getting me curious enough to look into this
    camera as I am sure I will enjoy it for a long time to come. For that
    matter, I suspect "we" will "both" enjoy this camera choice for a long
    time to come & you call yourself "(The very rusty photographer)"?

    Seems to me that rusty or not you have made a fine choice &
    you have a bit of an advantage in being new to digital photography,
    you have not yet learned the user control layout/interface of another
    digital camera, so your starting with a fresh slate. I am sure my
    learning curve into all of the features of the C-7070WZ will be longer
    than yours because I will be banging into 4+ years of old habits with
    Canon digital camera interfaces.

    Best of luck with both your new digital camera & your quest
    for reasonably good photo editing software. What works well for me is
    ACDSee Classic used as my default picture viewer because it's a tiny
    program but it's unbelievably fast, even on an older PC or notebook.

    My editing software of choice is Adobe Photo Shop Elements
    ver. 3.0 because it's very able & reasonably priced & is often offered
    @ promotional prices. The other nice thing it that the GUI (Graphic
    User Interface) is not all that different from it's $600.00 USD bigger
    brother which is generally considered the top end editor. So "if" I
    ever need that much additional editing capability & can justify the
    cost, the learning curve will not be as bad.

    Again best of luck & welcome to digital photography, but in
    fairness I must warn you, it can be addictive. Even with 25+ years in
    35mm film SLR's, I feel like photography has been reinvented by
    quality digital cameras because of instant feedback & cost
    effectiveness for things like candid picture taking of children. They
    grow up so fast, being able to take pictures whenever they do
    something picture worthy is great. With film we tend to be far more
    conservative due in part to cost restrains. Well now those restraints
    are gone, aside from the pictures you print or have printed.

    Respectfully, DHB

    ..

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

    DHB, Jul 12, 2005
  8. Mike Forrest

    Mike Forrest Guest

    On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 17:16:44 GMT, DHB <> wrote:

> [...]

    >User Interface) is not all that different from it's $600.00 USD bigger
    >brother which is generally considered the top end editor. So "if" I
    >ever need that much additional editing capability & can justify the
    >cost, the learning curve will not be as bad.
    >
    > Again best of luck & welcome to digital photography, but in
    >fairness I must warn you, it can be addictive. Even with 25+ years in
    >35mm film SLR's, I feel like photography has been reinvented by
    >quality digital cameras because of instant feedback & cost
    >effectiveness for things like candid picture taking of children. They
    >grow up so fast, being able to take pictures whenever they do
    >something picture worthy is great. With film we tend to be far more
    >conservative due in part to cost restrains. Well now those restraints
    >are gone, aside from the pictures you print or have printed.

    Ah Shucks <Blush> rubs toe in dirt. Glad I could help.

    I have started using the camera and like it a lot. I am doing tests
    calibrating the exposure and my eye. I learned on an old Miranda V
    meterless camera and came to trust my eye a lot. Kinda fun starting
    over again.

    Mike Forrest

    Mike Forrest, Jul 13, 2005