Very Old TV Set Turns Off and On By Itself

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Kyle :o\), Nov 12, 2006.

  1. Kyle :o\)

    Kyle :o\) Guest

    We have a very old TV set, bought back in the late 80's that has no
    remote, no cable-ready anything, and that you have to manually turn on with
    the volume control knob. It's so old that it still has the old VHF and UHF
    dials even. But for nearly 20 years this TV has seen limited use but given
    us still a great picture despite its age.

    Now all of a sudden the TV set is turning itself off and then on again right
    after we start it up. This usually goes away after 10-15 minutes, but it is
    quite annoying. And when you first turn it on, sometimes it will start then
    time it turns itself off before it stops this.

    Seeing as how old this TV set is, is it really worth taking to an
    electronics repair place? What could be the cause of it? The tube itself
    is still very clear, none of the colours in it are bad or off at all! So to
    me it sounds like a short in the on/off switch - but I wanted to get some
    opinions before investing in a new one. After all, it's rare to find any
    piece of electronic equipment that lasts almost 20 years so I feel like
    tossing it aside just because of what may be a simple problem! I know new
    TVs are cheap, but I'd rather spend the $100 to $150 on other things more
    important if this can be fixed for a modest price.

    Thanks in advance!

    --
    Kyle :eek:)

    "I reject your reality and substitute my own!"
    Kyle :o\), Nov 12, 2006

  2. Kyle :o\)

    seymour Guest

    was anyone ever murdered in your house?

    seymour, Nov 12, 2006

  3. Kyle :o\)

    Mike Easter Guest

    seymour wrote:
    > was anyone ever murdered in your house?

    Ha!

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Nov 12, 2006
  4. Kyle :o\)

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 10:52:03 -0500, Kyle :eek:) Has Frothed:

    > We have a very old TV set, bought back in the late 80's that has no
    > remote, no cable-ready anything, and that you have to manually turn on with
    > the volume control knob. It's so old that it still has the old VHF and UHF
    > dials even. But for nearly 20 years this TV has seen limited use but given
    > us still a great picture despite its age.
    >
    > Now all of a sudden the TV set is turning itself off and then on again right
    > after we start it up. This usually goes away after 10-15 minutes, but it is
    > quite annoying. And when you first turn it on, sometimes it will start then
    > time it turns itself off before it stops this.
    >

    > Seeing as how old this TV set is, is it really worth taking to an
    > electronics repair place? What could be the cause of it? The tube itself
    > is still very clear, none of the colours in it are bad or off at all! So to
    > me it sounds like a short in the on/off switch - but I wanted to get some
    > opinions before investing in a new one. After all, it's rare to find any
    > piece of electronic equipment that lasts almost 20 years so I feel like
    > tossing it aside just because of what may be a simple problem! I know new
    > TVs are cheap, but I'd rather spend the $100 to $150 on other things more
    > important if this can be fixed for a modest price.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    X-posted this to the guys in sci.electronics.repair

    COOSN-266-06-25794
    Meat Plow, Nov 12, 2006
  5. Kyle :eek:) wrote:

    > We have a very old TV set, bought back in the late 80's that has no
    > remote, no cable-ready anything, and that you have to manually turn on
    > with
    > the volume control knob. It's so old that it still has the old VHF and
    > UHF
    > dials even. But for nearly 20 years this TV has seen limited use but
    > given us still a great picture despite its age.

    Well ... your eyes may have aged as well in the same way as the old tv, and
    you do not notice that it lost sharpness due to a focus voltage
    misalignment, or got blurry and tremulously due to dried-out capacitors and
    ac voltages. Now, it will tell you it's time for taking some action: for
    you to see a ophtalmologist, and for your old tv to retire. Keep it in good
    memory though: retire it before you get the new glasses and before it
    finally goes up in smoke :)

    Walter Mautner, Nov 12, 2006
  6. Kyle :o\)

    Sally Short Guest

    Dear Kyle,
    This probably has very little to do with your old TV, but with a
    spirit(either someone you knew or a relative that passed away) This is one
    of the ways they try to contact you. Montel Williams has a TV program on
    Wednesdays where the famous Sylvia Browne comes on and people ask questions
    and she answers them. You might want to see this program.
    I myself have noticed that I see a lot of same numbers on clocks.
    Like 11:11, 4:44, 5:55, 2:22 and etc, so am thinking this is someone from
    the other side that has crossed over trying to contact me.
    Hope this helps,
    Sally.

    Sally Short, Nov 12, 2006
  7. Kyle :o\)

    Charlie East Guest

    You can eleminate the switch by placing a jumper across the on / off portion
    of the switch.If it works with the jumper, replace the switch. If not, look
    for some bad solder or maybe Caps in the power supply.

    Charlie East, Nov 12, 2006
  8. Kyle :o\)

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 16:42:17 GMT, "Sally Short"
    <> wrote:

    >Dear Kyle,
    > This probably has very little to do with your old TV, but with a
    >spirit(either someone you knew or a relative that passed away) This is one
    >of the ways they try to contact you. Montel Williams has a TV program on
    >Wednesdays where the famous Sylvia Browne comes on and people ask questions
    >and she answers them. You might want to see this program.
    > I myself have noticed that I see a lot of same numbers on clocks.
    >Like 11:11, 4:44, 5:55, 2:22 and etc, so am thinking this is someone from
    >the other side that has crossed over trying to contact me.

    My clocks always say 6:66.

    What could this mean?
    Evan Platt, Nov 12, 2006
  9. Kyle :o\)

    Brian Guest

    "Kyle :eek:)" <> wrote in message
    > We have a very old TV set, bought back in the late 80's that has no
    > remote, no cable-ready anything, and that you have to manually turn on
    > with the volume control knob. It's so old that it still has the old VHF
    > and UHF dials even. But for nearly 20 years this TV has seen limited use
    > but given us still a great picture despite its age.
    >
    > Now all of a sudden the TV set is turning itself off and then on again
    > right after we start it up. This usually goes away after 10-15 minutes,
    > but it is quite annoying. And when you first turn it on, sometimes it
    > will start then go back off immediately and takes several minutes of
    > turning it back on each time it turns itself off before it stops this.
    >

    > Seeing as how old this TV set is, is it really worth taking to an
    > electronics repair place? What could be the cause of it? The tube itself
    > is still very clear, none of the colours in it are bad or off at all! So
    > to me it sounds like a short in the on/off switch - but I wanted to get
    > some opinions before investing in a new one. After all, it's rare to find
    > any piece of electronic equipment that lasts almost 20 years so I feel
    > like tossing it aside just because of what may be a simple problem! I
    > know new TVs are cheap, but I'd rather spend the $100 to $150 on other
    > things more important if this can be fixed for a modest price.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > --
    > Kyle :eek:)
    >
    > "I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

    Your ON/OFF switch is broken! Simple as that. either fit a new one or just
    solder the wires so it bypasses the switch and make sure you unplug the TV
    when not in use.
    Brian, Nov 12, 2006
  10. Kyle :o\)

    Ponder Guest

    Ponder, Nov 12, 2006
  11. Kyle :o\)

    James Sweet Guest

    Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 10:52:03 -0500, Kyle :eek:) Has Frothed:
    >

    >> We have a very old TV set, bought back in the late 80's that has no
    >>remote, no cable-ready anything, and that you have to manually turn on with
    >>the volume control knob. It's so old that it still has the old VHF and UHF
    >>dials even. But for nearly 20 years this TV has seen limited use but given
    >>us still a great picture despite its age.
    >>
    >>Now all of a sudden the TV set is turning itself off and then on again right
    >>after we start it up. This usually goes away after 10-15 minutes, but it is
    >>quite annoying. And when you first turn it on, sometimes it will start then
    >>time it turns itself off before it stops this.
    >>

    >>Seeing as how old this TV set is, is it really worth taking to an
    >>electronics repair place? What could be the cause of it? The tube itself
    >>is still very clear, none of the colours in it are bad or off at all! So to
    >>me it sounds like a short in the on/off switch - but I wanted to get some
    >>opinions before investing in a new one. After all, it's rare to find any
    >>piece of electronic equipment that lasts almost 20 years so I feel like
    >>tossing it aside just because of what may be a simple problem! I know new
    >>TVs are cheap, but I'd rather spend the $100 to $150 on other things more
    >>important if this can be fixed for a modest price.
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance!

    It's probably some capacitors in the power supply, it's almost certainly
    NOT the off-on switch, that's always the first thing people suspect and
    virtually never the problem. If in doube, jumper across the switch
    temporarily and plug it in.
    James Sweet, Nov 12, 2006
  12. Kyle :o\)

    doS Guest

    the Ring?

    doS, Nov 12, 2006
  13. Kyle :o\)

    Barney Guest

    "Kyle :eek:\)" <> wrote in

    > We have a very old TV set,
    >

    > Now all of a sudden the TV set is turning itself off and then on again
    > right after we start it up. This usually goes away after 10-15
    > minutes, but it is quite annoying. And when you first turn it on,
    > sometimes it will start then go back off immediately and takes several
    > minutes of turning it back on each time it turns itself off before it
    > stops this.

    I would suspsect a tube or solder point is heating up and opening a
    circut. Once cooled of, the circut will reconnect. Phone an old repair
    shop that's been arround for a few years. I doubt it's worth the repair
    if you can't do it yourself. I'm sure there are a few older Tv's that
    people will sell cheap.

    --
    "Expect less from life and get more from it"
    Barney, Nov 12, 2006
  14. Kyle :o\)

    Thip Guest

    "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 16:42:17 GMT, "Sally Short"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > My clocks always say 6:66.
    >
    > What could this mean?

    De debbil dood it.
    Thip, Nov 12, 2006
  15. Kyle :o\)

    Guest

    "Kyle :eek:\)" <> wrote:

    >Now all of a sudden the TV set is turning itself off and then on again right
    >after we start it up. This usually goes away after 10-15 minutes, but it is
    >quite annoying. And when you first turn it on, sometimes it will start then
    >time it turns itself off before it stops this.

    You might remove and test the hv rectifier transistor - since it's
    intermentant, I'd just replace it, they used to be fairly cheap.

    --
    Type or die.
    http://cognitivelabs.com/word_shoot.htm
  16. Kyle :o\)

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Sally Short wrote:
    > Dear Kyle,
    > This probably has very little to do with your old TV, but with a
    > spirit(either someone you knew or a relative that passed away) This is one
    > of the ways they try to contact you. Montel Williams has a TV program on
    > Wednesdays where the famous Sylvia Browne comes on and people ask questions
    > and she answers them. You might want to see this program.
    > I myself have noticed that I see a lot of same numbers on clocks.
    > Like 11:11, 4:44, 5:55, 2:22 and etc, so am thinking this is someone from
    > the other side that has crossed over trying to contact me.
    > Hope this helps,
    > Sally.

    /Cue X-files theme/

    And it only happens 24 times each day. Really weird huh?

    Talking of weird. At the recent Australian Horse Racing classic event,
    the Melbourne Cup I had a continuing dream of number 8. The night
    before the big race we had a blackout at 8PM and when I looked at my
    digital alarm clock it was stuck on 08:08. On the way to the racetrack
    I was booked for speeding, at a speed of 8 kilometers over the speed
    limit, and fined $88. This had to be an omen so I backed number 8 to
    win wagering $88. To my amazement the horse ran 8th.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Nov 13, 2006
  17. Kyle :eek:) wrote:
    > We have a very old TV set, bought back in the late 80's that has no
    > remote, no cable-ready anything, and that you have to manually turn on with
    > the volume control knob. It's so old that it still has the old VHF and UHF
    > dials even. But for nearly 20 years this TV has seen limited use but given
    > us still a great picture despite its age.
    >
    > Now all of a sudden the TV set is turning itself off and then on again right
    > after we start it up. This usually goes away after 10-15 minutes, but it is
    > quite annoying. And when you first turn it on, sometimes it will start then
    > time it turns itself off before it stops this.
    >

    > Seeing as how old this TV set is, is it really worth taking to an
    > electronics repair place? What could be the cause of it? The tube itself
    > is still very clear, none of the colours in it are bad or off at all! So to
    > me it sounds like a short in the on/off switch - but I wanted to get some
    > opinions before investing in a new one. After all, it's rare to find any
    > piece of electronic equipment that lasts almost 20 years so I feel like
    > tossing it aside just because of what may be a simple problem! I know new
    > TVs are cheap, but I'd rather spend the $100 to $150 on other things more
    > important if this can be fixed for a modest price.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    They're heeeeere
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Nov 13, 2006
  18. Kyle :o\)

    Guest

    Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 10:52:03 -0500, Kyle :eek:) Has Frothed:

    > > We have a very old TV set, bought back in the late 80's that has no
    > > remote, no cable-ready anything, and that you have to manually turn on with
    > > the volume control knob. It's so old that it still has the old VHF and UHF
    > > dials even. But for nearly 20 years this TV has seen limited use but given
    > > us still a great picture despite its age.
    > >
    > > Now all of a sudden the TV set is turning itself off and then on again right
    > > after we start it up. This usually goes away after 10-15 minutes, but it is
    > > quite annoying. And when you first turn it on, sometimes it will start then
    > > time it turns itself off before it stops this.
    > >

    > > Seeing as how old this TV set is, is it really worth taking to an
    > > electronics repair place? What could be the cause of it? The tube itself
    > > is still very clear, none of the colours in it are bad or off at all! So to
    > > me it sounds like a short in the on/off switch - but I wanted to get some
    > > opinions before investing in a new one. After all, it's rare to find any
    > > piece of electronic equipment that lasts almost 20 years so I feel like
    > > tossing it aside just because of what may be a simple problem! I know new
    > > TVs are cheap, but I'd rather spend the $100 to $150 on other things more
    > > important if this can be fixed for a modest price.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance!

    > X-posted this to the guys in sci.electronics.repair

    nearly always symptoms of either a bad psu or bad horzntal output
    section. If you think it may be the switch, you wont have any chance of
    fixing it. No, not worth a prof repair.

    And check out a dictionary some time, a 1980s tv and very old are not
    related concepts.

    NT
    , Nov 13, 2006
  19. Kyle :o\)

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 11:02:34 -0800, meow2222 Has Frothed:

    > Meat Plow wrote:
    >> On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 10:52:03 -0500, Kyle :eek:) Has Frothed:

    >> > We have a very old TV set, bought back in the late 80's that has no
    >> > remote, no cable-ready anything, and that you have to manually turn on with
    >> > the volume control knob. It's so old that it still has the old VHF and UHF
    >> > dials even. But for nearly 20 years this TV has seen limited use but given
    >> > us still a great picture despite its age.
    >> >
    >> > Now all of a sudden the TV set is turning itself off and then on again right
    >> > after we start it up. This usually goes away after 10-15 minutes, but it is
    >> > quite annoying. And when you first turn it on, sometimes it will start then
    >> > time it turns itself off before it stops this.
    >> >

    >> > Seeing as how old this TV set is, is it really worth taking to an
    >> > electronics repair place? What could be the cause of it? The tube itself
    >> > is still very clear, none of the colours in it are bad or off at all! So to
    >> > me it sounds like a short in the on/off switch - but I wanted to get some
    >> > opinions before investing in a new one. After all, it's rare to find any
    >> > piece of electronic equipment that lasts almost 20 years so I feel like
    >> > tossing it aside just because of what may be a simple problem! I know new
    >> > TVs are cheap, but I'd rather spend the $100 to $150 on other things more
    >> > important if this can be fixed for a modest price.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks in advance!

    >> X-posted this to the guys in sci.electronics.repair

    > nearly always symptoms of either a bad psu or bad horzntal output
    > section. If you think it may be the switch, you wont have any chance of
    > fixing it. No, not worth a prof repair.
    >
    > And check out a dictionary some time, a 1980s tv and very old are not
    > related concepts.

    The topic just to note, is a bit deceptive. The set doesn't turn itself on
    initially, just back on after it is turned on and then shuts itself down.
    I'm pretty sure everyone understood just thought I'd make a note.

    COOSN-266-06-25794
    Meat Plow, Nov 13, 2006
  20. Kyle :o\)

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 08:54:00 +0800, Oldus Fartus
    <> wrote:

    >/Cue X-files theme/

    Oh man, I love the x-files.. Moldy & Scudder.

    Moldy is now hanging around shower stalls, and Scudder is making a
    name in the financial business.
    Evan Platt, Nov 13, 2006