    Anyone else noticed this, and can anyone explain what's
    going on?

    Thanks, David
    DavidM, Nov 25, 2006

  2. DavidM

    Ed Mullen Guest

    DavidM wrote:
    > When I access here http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/
    > with FF 1.5.0.8, Windows Task Manager shows a VERY
    > high CPU usage compared to most other sites I visit. If I
    > access a number of the forums in tabs or multiple windows
    > my PC soon runs out of puff!
    >
    > Anyone else noticed this, and can anyone explain what's
    > going on?

    Not happening here. I opened ever forum in its own tab. When opening a
    new tab cpu usage kicked up to about 25%, then dropped to zero.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Nov 25, 2006

  3. DavidM

    elaich Guest

    Ed Mullen <> wrote in news:scSdnZWF-
    :

    > Not happening here. I opened ever forum in its own tab. When opening a
    > new tab cpu usage kicked up to about 25%, then dropped to zero.

    Same here. The OP didn't say what OS he is running. Most people who report
    high CPU usage problems are running XP. I'm running 2000. I also denied the
    site to set a cookie.
    elaich, Nov 25, 2006
  4. DavidM

    Ed Mullen Guest

    elaich wrote:
    > Ed Mullen <> wrote in news:scSdnZWF-
    > :
    >
    >> Not happening here. I opened ever forum in its own tab. When opening a
    >> new tab cpu usage kicked up to about 25%, then dropped to zero.

    > Same here. The OP didn't say what OS he is running. Most people who report
    > high CPU usage problems are running XP. I'm running 2000. I also denied the
    > site to set a cookie.

    He said "... Windows Task Manager shows ..." so it's a fairly safe bet
    on Windows. ;-)

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Nov 25, 2006
  5. Ed Mullen wrote:
    > elaich wrote:
    >> Ed Mullen <> wrote in news:scSdnZWF-
    >> :
    >>
    >>> Not happening here. I opened ever forum in its own tab. When
    >>> opening a new tab cpu usage kicked up to about 25%, then dropped to
    >>> zero.

    >> Same here. The OP didn't say what OS he is running. Most people who
    >> report high CPU usage problems are running XP. I'm running 2000. I
    >> also denied the site to set a cookie.

    > He said "... Windows Task Manager shows ..." so it's a fairly safe bet
    > on Windows. ;-)

    Yes indeed, but which version of Windows?

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Nov 25, 2006
  6. On 2006-11-25, elaich <> wrote:

    > The OP didn't say what OS he is running. Most people who report
    > high CPU usage problems are running XP. I'm running 2000. I also denied the
    > site to set a cookie.

    From the originl post:

    Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2869

    Which, I believe, corresponds to a recent XP build of Outlook Express.

    --

    John ()
    John Thompson, Nov 26, 2006
  7. DavidM

    DavidM Guest

    "John Thompson" <2.dhs.org> wrote in message
    > On 2006-11-25, elaich <> wrote:
    >
    >> The OP didn't say what OS he is running. Most people who report
    >> high CPU usage problems are running XP. I'm running 2000. I also denied
    >> the
    >> site to set a cookie.

    > From the originl post:
    >
    > Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2869
    >
    > Which, I believe, corresponds to a recent XP build of Outlook Express.
    >
    > --
    >
    > John ()

    Windows XP Home, SP2.
    Funny thing is that this doesn't happen on my laptop with the same
    build of Firefox (and OS).
    Any suuggestions as to how I can investigate what's going on?
    David
    DavidM, Nov 26, 2006
  8. DavidM

    Ed Mullen Guest

    elaich wrote:
    > Ed Mullen <> wrote in news:scSdnZWF-
    > :
    >
    >> Not happening here. I opened ever forum in its own tab. When opening a
    >> new tab cpu usage kicked up to about 25%, then dropped to zero.

    > Same here. The OP didn't say what OS he is running. Most people who report
    > high CPU usage problems are running XP. I'm running 2000. I also denied the
    > site to set a cookie.

    Interesting. I run XP on all my systems and have /never/ had any of the
    memory problems reported by others. On the other hand, the least memory
    any of my PCs has is 1 Gb. And the slowest processor among them is 933
    MHz. I am virtually always running multiple apps with lots of switching
    between. I leave SeaMonkey (and sometimes Firefox) running all day, or
    even overnight, without any freezes or other reported problems.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Nov 26, 2006
  9. DavidM

    Ed Mullen Guest

    DavidM wrote:
    > "John Thompson" <2.dhs.org> wrote in message
    >> On 2006-11-25, elaich <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> The OP didn't say what OS he is running. Most people who report
    >>> high CPU usage problems are running XP. I'm running 2000. I also denied
    >>> the
    >>> site to set a cookie.

    >> From the originl post:
    >>
    >> Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2869
    >>
    >> Which, I believe, corresponds to a recent XP build of Outlook Express.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> John ()

    > Windows XP Home, SP2.
    > Funny thing is that this doesn't happen on my laptop with the same
    > build of Firefox (and OS).
    > Any suuggestions as to how I can investigate what's going on?
    > David

    It's a tedious process, indeed. You've got to get each system
    configured as-close-to-exactly the same as possible. That is, with the
    exception of different device drivers necessitated by hardware differences.

    List of possibilities:

    1. Differences in extensions and/or plugins between the systems
    2. Ditto on programs that load on boot
    3. Ditto on installed RAM and CPU speed and type

    Test:

    Set up both systems in exactly the same state regarding boot-time
    programs, transient running programs (e.g. Firefox), connected devices,
    network connections, etc. I suggest temporarily disabling all
    user-installed programs that run at boot.

    Run duplicative tests with Firefox on each. See if you can reproduce
    the issue on either or both systems.

    Start adding back in disabled boot-time programs one-by-one; reboot each
    time, test again.

    And be aware that you may never be able to pin down the cause. Good luck!

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Nov 26, 2006
  10. DavidM

    Guest

    On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 16:31:33 GMT, "DavidM"
    <> wrote:

    >When I access here http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/
    >with FF 1.5.0.8, Windows Task Manager shows a VERY
    >high CPU usage ... .

    When you looked at Task Manager, did you only look at the
    "applications" tab, or did you also look at the "processes" tab? If
    you didn't look specifically at which process was dominating the CPU,
    it would be potentially VERY helpful to see what's actually using the
    resources. If you're not familiar with the "Processes" tab, click it
    and then click on the CPU tab within that. That should put the
    highest usage processes at the top - it's just like sorting on one
    column in a spreadsheet to move the highest or lowest numbers to the
    top. Just click "CPU" 2 or 3 times if the first click doesn't do it.
    Then you'll see what's using the CPU the most. That may give you a
    good clue as to what's going on.

    C.R.
    , Nov 27, 2006
  11. DavidM

    DavidM Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 16:31:33 GMT, "DavidM"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>When I access here http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/
    >>with FF 1.5.0.8, Windows Task Manager shows a VERY
    >>high CPU usage ... .

    > When you looked at Task Manager, did you only look at the
    > "applications" tab, or did you also look at the "processes" tab? If
    > you didn't look specifically at which process was dominating the CPU,
    > it would be potentially VERY helpful to see what's actually using the
    > resources. If you're not familiar with the "Processes" tab, click it
    > and then click on the CPU tab within that. That should put the
    > highest usage processes at the top - it's just like sorting on one
    > column in a spreadsheet to move the highest or lowest numbers to the
    > top. Just click "CPU" 2 or 3 times if the first click doesn't do it.
    > Then you'll see what's using the CPU the most. That may give you a
    > good clue as to what's going on.
    >
    > C.R.

    I WAS looking at the process tab, and it's definately firefox.exe that's
    eating the cpu. Nothing else (except system idle) was using anything
    much at all. Apart from Task Manager and Firefox, no other
    applications were running.

    I have an 2.4 Intel cpu and 1Gb of ram, ram usage is quite low.

    David.
    DavidM, Nov 27, 2006
  12. DavidM

    Guest

    Le 27/11/2006 16:22, DavidM a ecrit :
    > <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 16:31:33 GMT, "DavidM"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> When I access here http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/
    >>> with FF 1.5.0.8, Windows Task Manager shows a VERY
    >>> high CPU usage ... .

    >> When you looked at Task Manager, did you only look at the
    >> "applications" tab, or did you also look at the "processes" tab? If
    >> you didn't look specifically at which process was dominating the CPU,
    >> it would be potentially VERY helpful to see what's actually using the
    >> resources. If you're not familiar with the "Processes" tab, click it
    >> and then click on the CPU tab within that. That should put the
    >> highest usage processes at the top - it's just like sorting on one
    >> column in a spreadsheet to move the highest or lowest numbers to the
    >> top. Just click "CPU" 2 or 3 times if the first click doesn't do it.
    >> Then you'll see what's using the CPU the most. That may give you a
    >> good clue as to what's going on.
    >>
    >> C.R.

    > I WAS looking at the process tab, and it's definately firefox.exe that's
    > eating the cpu. Nothing else (except system idle) was using anything
    > much at all. Apart from Task Manager and Firefox, no other
    > applications were running.
    >
    > I have an 2.4 Intel cpu and 1Gb of ram, ram usage is quite low.
    >
    > David.

    I visited the page and could not replicate the high CPU usage on a much
    more modest machine ;)

    It could be that the site was displaying a ressource hungry animation in
    a banner when you visited it and it has now removed it. Although plugins
    such as flash, acrobat or java are not part of Firefox, they are shown
    as beklonging to the Firefox process.

    pascal
    , Nov 27, 2006