Very Frustrated NooB Questions

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Blewyn, Jul 12, 2005.

  1. Blewyn

    Blewyn Guest

    I have been trying to network my laptop and desktop for days now, with
    varying degrees of failure. I can't believe that in this day and age,
    Windows is still so bloody stupid that you can't just connect two PCs and
    tell them 'Harry, this is John. John, this is Harry. Please share
    everything with each other but nothing with anyone else.''

    Is that too much to ask ?

    Anyway, on with my dumb questions :

    Does anyone have a link to a simple and comprehensive guide to networking
    two computers ? One XP Home the other XP Pro. What I want to do is have the
    laptop carry a subset of the documents and files on my desktop, preferably
    synchronising by wireless whenever I ask them to. So far I have managed
    this temporarily by using a firewire cable (using 'firenet'') AND ethernet
    cable (no idea why, but it worked with them both but not with only 1 of
    them), and I managed to set up a wireless network but couldn't get the PCs
    to see each others' shared directories. I then went back to LAN (without
    the firewire cable) and found that it worked - but not after I switched off
    the wireless access point (I did this because I had to drop my firewalls in
    order to get the PCs to see each others'files). Now why would a LAN
    connection stop working because a wireless access point is switched off ?

    Can I get my two PCs to synch files effectively while maintaining firewalls
    to the internet ?

    Any help VERY gratefully received

    Cheers

    Blewyn

    Blewyn, Jul 12, 2005

  2. Blewyn

    GTS Guest

    See these 2 sites for some very good tutorials and troubleshooting
    information.
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/ and http://www.ezlan.net/

    GTS, Jul 12, 2005