Very disillusioned with this NG

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Muse Gruppes, Sep 18, 2006.

  1. Muse Gruppes

    Muse Gruppes Guest

    you know, when I first came to this newsgroup, I had just started
    discovering USENET. I really enjoyed the information on computer
    hardware and software help. I even put a post on how nice everybody was
    giving their time and advice on comp. matters.

    But now I realize that this forum is unfortunately partly made up of
    people making insults, cursing out others, belittling, being mean to
    others. All I did earlier was make a comment on someone's rude behavior
    and then I get shit on. Yes I wrote back in an angry manner, but I was a
    bit hurt.

    I was crying a minute ago because of the way some persons had said nasty
    things to me. I am a good and nice person, all I wanted to do was get
    computer help. I went along with some of the fun and created different
    names and occasionally made some humorous remarks (but not mean).

    It's obvious than some people can not be reasoned with at all. So it
    that respect I should have just ignored them entirely. And in that
    respect, that is my fault.

    My self-esteem is bad enough to have to put up with some people with no
    heart or soul in here.

    Does anyone know a moderated help forum I can go to because I am afraid
    of saying anything in here (except for this post/question).

    Thanks for all the help and advice that I have gotten in the past.

    -Me

    PS Thanks Rhonda for being so nice. I do appreciate it, but I'm not
    sticking around here I don't think.

    Muse Gruppes, Sep 18, 2006

  2. Muse Gruppes

    Guest

    Just kill filter the subject and/or person you don't want to read. I
    don't use the same news reader as you so I can't explain exactly how
    to filter.

    http://www.easynn.com

    , Sep 18, 2006

  3. Muse Gruppes

    Cicero Guest

    "Muse Gruppes" <> wrote in
    message news:l8uPg.1051$-nyc.rr.com...
    > you know, when I first came to this newsgroup, I had just started
    > discovering USENET. I really enjoyed the information on computer hardware
    > and software help. I even put a post on how nice everybody was giving
    > their time and advice on comp. matters.
    >
    > But now I realize that this forum is unfortunately partly made up of
    > people making insults, cursing out others, belittling, being mean to
    > others. All I did earlier was make a comment on someone's rude behavior
    > and then I get shit on. Yes I wrote back in an angry manner, but I was a
    > bit hurt.
    >
    > I was crying a minute ago because of the way some persons had said nasty
    > things to me. I am a good and nice person, all I wanted to do was get
    > computer help. I went along with some of the fun and created different
    > names and occasionally made some humorous remarks (but not mean).
    >
    > It's obvious than some people can not be reasoned with at all. So it that
    > respect I should have just ignored them entirely. And in that respect,
    > that is my fault.
    >
    > My self-esteem is bad enough to have to put up with some people with no
    > heart or soul in here.
    >
    > Does anyone know a moderated help forum I can go to because I am afraid of
    > saying anything in here (except for this post/question).
    >
    > Thanks for all the help and advice that I have gotten in the past.
    >
    > -Me
    >
    > PS Thanks Rhonda for being so nice. I do appreciate it, but I'm not
    > sticking around here I don't think.

    Don't let them grind you down. You get pillocks in every walk of life; why
    should this place be any different? Don't take life too seriously-))).

    Cicero, Sep 18, 2006
  4. Muse Gruppes

    Leythos Guest

    In article <l8uPg.1051$-nyc.rr.com>,
    says...
    > Does anyone know a moderated help forum I can go to because I am afraid
    > of saying anything in here (except for this post/question).

    This Group is mostly trolls and idiots that flame anyone or anything.

    What you need to do is learn the structure of Usenet and then visit the
    groups that interest you. Most people get help by finding one of the
    groups directly related to their vendor/product and lurking there for a
    couple days, to see how the group works, who the reliable people are,
    and then forming a quality post and waiting for a response.

    Try lurking in a different group, see how things work and why kind of
    replies there are, then decide if you want to post in that group - if
    not, switch to another group.

    As for being afraid - this IS usenet, as long as you don't give away who
    you are, there is nothing to be afraid of - nothing here is real,
    nothing is always what it appears to be, and most people are not what
    they seem to be. Never take anything in Usenet seriously unless you find
    value in it.

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos, Sep 18, 2006
  5. Muse Gruppes

    Bob B Guest

    "Muse Gruppes" <> wrote in
    message news:l8uPg.1051$-nyc.rr.com...
    > you know, when I first came to this newsgroup, I had just started
    > discovering USENET. I really enjoyed the information on computer hardware
    > and software help. I even put a post on how nice everybody was giving
    > their time and advice on comp. matters.
    >
    > But now I realize that this forum is unfortunately partly made up of
    > people making insults, cursing out others, belittling, being mean to
    > others. All I did earlier was make a comment on someone's rude behavior
    > and then I get shit on. Yes I wrote back in an angry manner, but I was a
    > bit hurt.
    >
    > I was crying a minute ago because of the way some persons had said nasty
    > things to me. I am a good and nice person, all I wanted to do was get
    > computer help. I went along with some of the fun and created different
    > names and occasionally made some humorous remarks (but not mean).
    >
    > It's obvious than some people can not be reasoned with at all. So it that
    > respect I should have just ignored them entirely. And in that respect,
    > that is my fault.
    >
    > My self-esteem is bad enough to have to put up with some people with no
    > heart or soul in here.
    >
    > Does anyone know a moderated help forum I can go to because I am afraid of
    > saying anything in here (except for this post/question).
    >
    > Thanks for all the help and advice that I have gotten in the past.
    >
    > -Me
    >
    > PS Thanks Rhonda for being so nice. I do appreciate it, but I'm not
    > sticking around here I don't think.

    All you have to do if using outlook express is to highlight the the
    unwanted message then up to the top and "messages" then "block sender" You
    will not see the sender again although they will probably change their
    address when they continue to be ignored. I will get rude replies from this
    advise so they also will be added to my blocked senders list, although most
    have already been added in the past, so they will be wasting their time if
    those idiots reply.

    BB

    Bob B, Sep 18, 2006
  6. Muse Gruppes

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 10:01:53 +0000, Muse Gruppes Has Frothed:

    > you know, when I first came to this newsgroup, I had just started
    > discovering USENET. I really enjoyed the information on computer hardware
    > and software help. I even put a post on how nice everybody was giving
    > their time and advice on comp. matters.
    >
    > But now I realize that this forum is unfortunately partly made up of
    > people making insults, cursing out others, belittling, being mean to
    > others. All I did earlier was make a comment on someone's rude behavior
    > and then I get shit on. Yes I wrote back in an angry manner, but I was a
    > bit hurt.

    <BURP>

    You just cursed.

    So it's ok for you to lash out using profanity just as
    long as others don't do it to you? Sorry fuckchops, grow some balls and
    suck it up.

    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Sep 18, 2006
  7. Muse Gruppes

    Kev Guest

    > <snip>

    Ignore the trolls and idiots - eventually they become like ads on the TV and you learn to switch them of without trying :)

    I only have brief experience with Thunderbird, but I guess it has filters to 'block sender' like OE.

    While strictly a user on Usenet, I've moderated several web forums, and moderation just sends the *nastiness* undergound,
    IMHO - it's still there.

    Don't let the idiots win :)

    Kev

    Kev, Sep 18, 2006
  8. Muse Gruppes

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-09-18, Kev <> wrote:

    > "Muse Gruppes" <> wrote in message
    >> <snip>

    > Ignore the trolls and idiots - eventually they become like ads on the TV
    > and you learn to switch them of without trying :)
    >
    > I only have brief experience with Thunderbird, but I guess it has filters
    > to 'block sender' like OE.
    >
    > While strictly a user on Usenet, I've moderated several web forums, and
    > moderation just sends the *nastiness* undergound, IMHO - it's still there.
    >
    > Don't let the idiots win :)
    >
    > Kev

    The main advantage of a moderated newsgroup, is that you can concentrate all
    your dislike on the moderators instead of having decide for yourself who
    to plonk ;))

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Sep 18, 2006
  9. Muse Gruppes wrote:

    > My self-esteem is bad enough to have to put up with some people with no
    > heart or soul in here.

    So kill yourself already, whiner.

    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....He's so conservative his plane doesn't have a left wing.

    Tattoo Vampire, Sep 18, 2006
  10. Muse Gruppes

    John Holmes Guest

    Muse Gruppes "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > you know, when I first came to this newsgroup, I had just started
    > discovering USENET. I really enjoyed the information on computer
    > hardware and software help. I even put a post on how nice everybody was
    > giving their time and advice on comp. matters.
    >
    > But now I realize that this forum is unfortunately partly made up of
    > people making insults, cursing out others, belittling, being mean to
    > others. All I did earlier was make a comment on someone's rude behavior
    > and then I get shit on. Yes I wrote back in an angry manner, but I was

    > bit hurt.
    >
    > I was crying a minute ago because of the way some persons had said

    nasty
    > things to me. I am a good and nice person, all I wanted to do was get
    > computer help. I went along with some of the fun and created different
    > names and occasionally made some humorous remarks (but not mean).
    >
    > It's obvious than some people can not be reasoned with at all. So it
    > that respect I should have just ignored them entirely. And in that
    > respect, that is my fault.
    >
    > My self-esteem is bad enough to have to put up with some people with no
    > heart or soul in here.
    >
    > Does anyone know a moderated help forum I can go to because I am afraid
    > of saying anything in here (except for this post/question).
    >
    > Thanks for all the help and advice that I have gotten in the past.
    >
    > -Me
    >
    > PS Thanks Rhonda for being so nice. I do appreciate it, but I'm not
    > sticking around here I don't think.

    I bet your brain feels as good as new, seeing that you've never used it.

    --
    Your mother was a freakish git who came to terms with her sexuality on
    drugs.

    John Holmes, Sep 18, 2006
  11. Muse Gruppes

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 10:01:53 GMT, Muse Gruppes
    <> wrote:

    >you know, when I first came to this newsgroup, I had just started
    >discovering USENET. I really enjoyed the information on computer
    >hardware and software help. I even put a post on how nice everybody was
    >giving their time and advice on comp. matters.
    >
    >But now I realize that this forum is unfortunately partly made up of
    >people making insults, cursing out others, belittling, being mean to
    >others.

    Welcome to usenet.

    >All I did earlier was make a comment on someone's rude behavior
    >and then I get shit on. Yes I wrote back in an angry manner, but I was a
    >bit hurt.

    You really need a thick skin (and a good killfile) to use Usenet.

    >I was crying a minute ago because of the way some persons had said nasty
    >things to me. I am a good and nice person, all I wanted to do was get
    >computer help. I went along with some of the fun and created different
    >names and occasionally made some humorous remarks (but not mean).
    >
    >It's obvious than some people can not be reasoned with at all. So it
    >that respect I should have just ignored them entirely. And in that
    >respect, that is my fault.

    And killfiled them.

    >My self-esteem is bad enough to have to put up with some people with no
    >heart or soul in here.

    Umm.. I hate to say it, but if you have that serious of an issue - get
    off the internet.

    >Does anyone know a moderated help forum I can go to because I am afraid
    >of saying anything in here (except for this post/question).

    Sure. But you'd likely not get anywhere near the same amount of help,
    or even quality (so to speak).

    Evan Platt, Sep 18, 2006
  12. Muse Gruppes

    Frosty Guest

    As the sun rose on Mon, 18 Sep 2006 10:01:53 GMT, the distinguished
    and oh so talented Muse Gruppes
    <> climbed up to the
    podium, shuffled some papers, took a sip of ice water and shouted in a
    loud voice:

    >you know, when I first came to this newsgroup, I had just started
    >discovering USENET. I really enjoyed the information on computer
    >hardware and software help. I even put a post on how nice everybody was
    >giving their time and advice on comp. matters.
    >
    >But now I realize that this forum is unfortunately partly made up of
    >people making insults, cursing out others, belittling, being mean to
    >others. All I did earlier was make a comment on someone's rude behavior
    >and then I get shit on. Yes I wrote back in an angry manner, but I was a
    >bit hurt.
    >
    >I was crying a minute ago because of the way some persons had said nasty
    >things to me. I am a good and nice person, all I wanted to do was get
    >computer help. I went along with some of the fun and created different
    >names and occasionally made some humorous remarks (but not mean).
    >
    >It's obvious than some people can not be reasoned with at all. So it
    >that respect I should have just ignored them entirely. And in that
    >respect, that is my fault.
    >
    >My self-esteem is bad enough to have to put up with some people with no
    >heart or soul in here.
    >
    >Does anyone know a moderated help forum I can go to because I am afraid
    >of saying anything in here (except for this post/question).
    >
    >Thanks for all the help and advice that I have gotten in the past.
    >
    >-Me
    >
    >PS Thanks Rhonda for being so nice. I do appreciate it, but I'm not
    >sticking around here I don't think.

    C'mon...I'll only put in it a little.
    --
    Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!

    Frosty, Sep 18, 2006
  13. Muse Gruppes

    Guest

    Kev wrote:
    > "Muse Gruppes" <> wrote in message
    > > <snip>

    > Ignore the trolls and idiots - eventually they become like ads on the TV and you learn to switch them of without trying :)
    >

    > Don't let the idiots win :)

    I remember the first time I ever posted a question in an
    NG. Before making the post, I'd been lurking in a few NGs
    to get the feel of Usenet. It was a perfectly legitimate
    question about an aspect of my profession that I'd been
    neglecting for some time. The first response nearly put
    me off Usenet for good. I found out later that the poster
    was notorious in that NG for pouncing on unwary newbies,
    and often locked horns with other regulars about some
    pseudo-scientific argument that he likes to put up. He
    was also typical of such people - fairly knowledgeable,
    but pretending to be the expert that they're not.

    I guess different people do it for different reasons.
    Some probably do it to bolster their ego, some in an
    attempt to sound clever, while some others do it for
    their own amusement, not knowing or caring how it can
    hurt others, and still others want to make their
    presence felt but have nothing useful to contribute.
    Still others do contribute, but are simply rude.

    The sad thing is that, while most regulars learn to take
    such posts in their stride, it makes some others,
    especially diffident newbies, wonder if they unwittingly
    did something offensive.

    Then there are certain posts that make even decent,
    normally mild-mannered readers want to flame. Like a
    recent post in another NG asking for some utility
    software for a certain task. He received some good
    suggestions, with the download URLs. One of them added
    "This should do what you need". His reply : "Should or
    does ? You should test the software first to make sure
    it does what I want instead of making me download it and
    try it out myself". Surprisingly, such posts often don't
    invoke much of the flames they deserve.

    , Sep 18, 2006
  14. Muse Gruppes

    JANA Guest

    Don't take it to heart. There is a mixed crowd here, and there will very
    often be someone who will answer your questions. There are many very
    knowledgeable people who read and answer the questions. Some of the people
    here are a little rough around the edges. You just have to learn to ignore
    the roughness.

    In actual fact, some people sort of get a good feeling out of being abrupt,
    or dominant in their way of expressing themselves. There are others who find
    it rather entertaining, and provoke them to continue on.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Sep 18, 2006
  15. Muse Gruppes

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 17:26:06 -0400, "JANA" <>
    wrote:

    >There are many very knowledgeable people who read and answer the questions.

    Then there's Jana...

    Evan Platt, Sep 18, 2006
  16. Muse Gruppes

    Jerry Attic Guest

    Muse Gruppes <> said in

    > you know, when I first came to this newsgroup, I had just started
    > discovering USENET. I really enjoyed the information on computer
    > hardware and software help. I even put a post on how nice everybody
    > <SNIP>

    You need to grow a thicker skin. Do you cry and sniffle when someone
    gives you a hard time in RL or do you smack them up side of the head?
    You'll find no sympathy from me, however, especially if you're taken to
    tears from what was said about you on Usenet.

    Jerry

    Jerry Attic, Sep 18, 2006
  17. Muse Gruppes

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    <> wrote:

    >you know, when I first came to this newsgroup, I had just started
    >discovering USENET. I really enjoyed the information on computer
    >hardware and software help. I even put a post on how nice everybody was
    >giving their time and advice on comp. matters.
    >
    >But now I realize that this forum is unfortunately partly made up of
    >people making insults, cursing out others, belittling, being mean to
    >others. All I did earlier was make a comment on someone's rude behavior
    >and then I get shit on. Yes I wrote back in an angry manner, but I was a
    >bit hurt.
    >
    >I was crying a minute ago because of the way some persons had said nasty
    >things to me. I am a good and nice person, all I wanted to do was get
    >computer help. I went along with some of the fun and created different
    >names and occasionally made some humorous remarks (but not mean).
    >
    >It's obvious than some people can not be reasoned with at all. So it
    >that respect I should have just ignored them entirely. And in that
    >respect, that is my fault.
    >
    >My self-esteem is bad enough to have to put up with some people with no
    >heart or soul in here.
    >
    >Does anyone know a moderated help forum I can go to because I am afraid
    >of saying anything in here (except for this post/question).
    >
    >Thanks for all the help and advice that I have gotten in the past.
    >
    >-Me
    >
    >PS Thanks Rhonda for being so nice. I do appreciate it, but I'm not
    >sticking around here I don't think.

    Me

    Even in a moderated group you can get flamed or insulted. The
    moderator can't watch over you 24/7, though of course his/her presence
    will tend to temper posts in the first place.

    This applies if you are on the Net and in any sort of situation where
    you are interacting with others. Best therefore to become a litle
    thick-skinned, to ignore or simply laugh off the foolish posts of
    others. Hey there is life outside the Net, no?

    cheers

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Sep 19, 2006
  18. Muse Gruppes

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 09:10:45 +1000, Jimmy Dean <>
    wrote:

    >Even in a moderated group you can get flamed or insulted. The
    >moderator can't watch over you 24/7, though of course his/her presence
    >will tend to temper posts in the first place.

    Unless it's a moderated group in the sense that all posts need to be
    approved.

    Evan Platt, Sep 19, 2006
  19. Muse Gruppes

    Vanguard Guest

    "Muse Gruppes" <> wrote in
    message news:l8uPg.1051$-nyc.rr.com...
    > you know, when I first came to this newsgroup, I had just started
    > discovering USENET.

    The is definitely the wrong newsgroup for a newbie. If you want
    parental protection from other playground meanies then visit moderated
    newsgroups or stick with moderated forums.

    > But now I realize that this forum is unfortunately partly made up of
    > people making insults, cursing out others, belittling, being mean to
    > others. All I did earlier was make a comment on someone's rude
    > behavior and then I get shit on. Yes I wrote back in an angry
    > manner, but I was a bit hurt.

    Usenet is worldwide as it is community and include users from all
    mental ages regardless of their physical age. If you can't handle it
    here, you will definitely have problems handling the real world
    outside the home.

    > I was crying a minute ago because of the way some persons had said
    > nasty things to me. I am a good and nice person, all I wanted to do
    > was get computer help. I went along with some of the fun and created
    > different names and occasionally made some humorous remarks (but not
    > mean).

    If anyone can make you cry simply by *saying* something then your ego
    is too thin-skinned for Usenet. Lurk for awhile in each newgroup to
    see its "flavor" and gauge its community. Then decide if you have the
    obstinence and fortitude to participate. It's like going to a bar and
    some blow-hard makes insults. Why would you care about someone's
    opinion that you don't know and won't see again? Just consider it as
    more background noise.

    > My self-esteem is bad enough to have to put up with some people with
    > no heart or soul in here.

    We do do therapy sessions here. If you can't handle it here, don't
    come here. No one is under any requirement to be civil or helpful.
    You can just hope they are and pleased when it happens. This is not
    the place for constant elation.

    > Does anyone know a moderated help forum I can go to because I am
    > afraid of saying anything in here (except for this post/question).

    Some of the moderated forums contain ".mod" in their name. There are
    other moderated forums but, so far, no one has provided me with a
    definitive list that is also accurate. That means posts, including
    yours, won't show up unless a moderator allows it, and it take as long
    for your post to show as it takes the moderator to okay it, so some
    messages can get outdated (i.e., don't bother asking questions that
    need a quick reply to be useful). In contrast, most forums allow the
    post and the moderator can later kill them. Remember that you are
    controlled by someone else regarding what you can post. Usenet is
    about unfettered free speech, so anyone can say anything they want
    with almost no fear of physical retaliation (and as such many users
    are inclined to be more rude than to a stranger that they have to
    physically face in a confrontation).

    Vanguard, Sep 19, 2006
  20. Muse Gruppes <> said in

    > you know, when I first came to this newsgroup, I had just started

    blah blah blah, whine whine whine.

    st00pid whore.

    Flaxseed Bigwhopper, Sep 19, 2006