Very difficult Broadband internet problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Niobe Rayne, Dec 2, 2003.

  1. Niobe Rayne

    Niobe Rayne Guest

    Before I get started, let me first say that I have been a computer
    technician in some form or another for the past 8 years, and this problem
    has me completely stumped. Allow me to explain:

    Computer cannot get online through broadband services, such as Cox cable.
    Does not aquire an IP address from DHCP.
    -Cable Modem is on, and shows lights for Power, Connection, PC, and Data
    (blinking randomly for data, as normal)
    -Lights are on for both Network Card and Cable modem, indicating that the
    cable is plugged in to both, and both have power
    -Network Card is recognized by XP, and shows the device to be working
    properly
    -There are no other notable problems
    -Networking Configuration is setup per Cox internet guidelines.
    (Automatically Obtain IP, and DNS info from DHCP, automatic private is
    checked in case of failure to acquire)
    -Another computer using the same cable modem is able to connect to the
    internet without problems. (No router, just a simple swap out)

    Computer is:
    Gateway 500s
    Intel Essex Motherboard
    512MB Ram
    Onboard Intel 100/VE network card
    Windows XP Home Edition

    Things I've tried:
    -Repair Interface in Control Panel - Errors out, saying could not renew ip
    address
    -Manual Configuration of interface - Sends packets, does not receive.
    -Remove and Recreate Interface - Same Problem
    -Remove and Reinstall with updated drivers - Same Problem
    -Replaced network cable- Same problem
    -Booted in to Linux (alternate OS to verifiy if problem is Windows or not)
    using a Knoppix live CD - Cannot acquire from DHCP, basically same problem.
    -Installed new network card, and disabled onboard- Same problem in both
    Linux and XP(weird, huh?)
    -Updated to most recent version of Bios- Same problem
    -Did full PC diagnostics using various software in Linux and Windows- No
    problems found with hardware
    -Attempted to Boot from Network (to see if DHCP would acquire)- DHCP would
    not aquire
    -Installed a Packet Analyzer- Noticed that network card is seeing all ARP
    traffic from the Router that it should be, and is receiving broadcast
    messages on the network. Also noticed that when this computer attempts a
    DHCP Acquire, there is no response from the DHCP server. All traffic from
    both network cards is ignored.
    -Used Packet Analyzer with manual IP config- All traffic from the computer
    is ignored
    -Compared Packet output from known working computer and this computer- All
    packets are properly formed

    Interesting thing of note: This computer appears to connect to the network
    without being powered on. The computer is definitely OFF, but once the
    network cable is plugged in, the Cable Modem PC light comes on, and data
    begins transmitting. Again, this is before the computer is even turned on. I
    have no idea what could cause this, or if it is normal.

    I'm at my wits end with this problem, any help would be greatly appreciated.
    ~Niobe Rayne
    Niobe Rayne, Dec 2, 2003

  2. Niobe Rayne

    Galadriel Guest

    "Niobe Rayne" <> wrote in message

    > Computer cannot get online through broadband services, such as Cox cable.
    > Does not aquire an IP address from DHCP.
    > -Cable Modem is on, and shows lights for Power, Connection, PC, and Data
    > (blinking randomly for data, as normal)
    > -Lights are on for both Network Card and Cable modem, indicating that the
    > cable is plugged in to both, and both have power
    > -Network Card is recognized by XP, and shows the device to be working
    > properly
    > -There are no other notable problems
    > -Networking Configuration is setup per Cox internet guidelines.
    > (Automatically Obtain IP, and DNS info from DHCP, automatic private is
    > checked in case of failure to acquire)
    > -Another computer using the same cable modem is able to connect to the
    > internet without problems. (No router, just a simple swap out)
    >
    > Computer is:
    > Gateway 500s
    > Intel Essex Motherboard
    > 512MB Ram
    > Onboard Intel 100/VE network card
    > Windows XP Home Edition
    >
    > Things I've tried:
    > -Repair Interface in Control Panel - Errors out, saying could not renew ip
    > address
    > -Manual Configuration of interface - Sends packets, does not receive.
    > -Remove and Recreate Interface - Same Problem
    > -Remove and Reinstall with updated drivers - Same Problem
    > -Replaced network cable- Same problem
    > -Booted in to Linux (alternate OS to verifiy if problem is Windows or not)
    > using a Knoppix live CD - Cannot acquire from DHCP, basically same

    problem.
    > -Installed new network card, and disabled onboard- Same problem in both
    > Linux and XP(weird, huh?)
    > -Updated to most recent version of Bios- Same problem
    > -Did full PC diagnostics using various software in Linux and Windows- No
    > problems found with hardware
    > -Attempted to Boot from Network (to see if DHCP would acquire)- DHCP would
    > not aquire
    > -Installed a Packet Analyzer- Noticed that network card is seeing all ARP
    > traffic from the Router that it should be, and is receiving broadcast
    > messages on the network. Also noticed that when this computer attempts a
    > DHCP Acquire, there is no response from the DHCP server. All traffic from
    > both network cards is ignored.
    > -Used Packet Analyzer with manual IP config- All traffic from the computer
    > is ignored
    > -Compared Packet output from known working computer and this computer- All
    > packets are properly formed
    >
    > Interesting thing of note: This computer appears to connect to the network
    > without being powered on. The computer is definitely OFF, but once the
    > network cable is plugged in, the Cable Modem PC light comes on, and data
    > begins transmitting. Again, this is before the computer is even turned on.

    > have no idea what could cause this, or if it is normal.

    Only thing I can think of is to temporarily disable your firewall, and see
    if things will work normally then. It may be blocking packets from the DHCP
    server.
    HTH
    Galadriel, Dec 2, 2003

  3. Niobe Rayne

    JabberSmith Guest

    Cripes. That's a lot of stuff. Let me add a few for you to chew on:

    - Swap out with known good cables
    - Use Windows (or some third party program) to change the MAC address of the
    NICs
    - Get a crossover cable and use that Linux (Knoppix) to set up a DHCP
    server; see if you can get an IP from your own server. Most routers have a
    DHCP server now too, you might be able to borrow one from a pal. This step
    will isolate "your computer" from "your computer + isp's DHCP server".
    - Get an IP with a different computer, then take the setup from that one and
    manually configure with the same settings. You might be able to get on
    during the lease period...
    - Make sure your Knoppix/Linux boot should see the NICs and knows how to use
    them. I have various boxes and Knoppix only works on half of them (NIC
    drivers) without lots of messing around. (Unless you sniffed packets while
    booting to Knoppix and found them to go out well.)
    - Call your provider and tell them you "bought a new network card and need
    to update the MAC address" see what they say.
    - Put that new NIC in the linux box and say "fuckit" and use linux as your
    gateway. (Smoothwall will do that for you...)
    - Search Google Groups for your motherboard model and DHCP problems.
    - Did you sniff a proper DHCP transaction to get a good baseline for a good
    connection attempt?

    It sounds an awful lot like you got banned based on modem/computer MAC. You
    didnt get rooted or anything recently did you? Something that would cause
    your ISP to kick you offline on purpose.....

    JabberSmith, Dec 2, 2003
  4. Niobe Rayne

    Niobe Rayne Guest

    I've actually tried most of that. Still no luck. Knoppix sees the nics just
    fine, and I was able to sniff packets from linux. I had tried to create and
    send custom packets via Packetyzer, but still no DHCP response. Haven't
    tried using my second computer as a gateway or DHCP though, being as it's a
    long configure. I'm just trying to fix a computer for a friend, heh.
    Also, I've tried multiple NIC's in this computer, with no luck So I don't
    think it's a MAC address ban, especially considering that it also doesn't
    work from my friends house. It's a bunch of weird shit. I will try
    connecting two computers together, giving private IP's, and seeing if they
    can talk to eachother... we'll see how that goes.
    Thanks lots!
    ~niobe rayne

    Niobe Rayne, Dec 2, 2003
  5. Niobe Rayne

    Niobe Rayne Guest

    hehe, no Fireware involved. Bare ass to the world.
    ~Niobe Rayne

    Niobe Rayne, Dec 2, 2003
  6. Niobe Rayne

    pcbutts1 Guest

    From the command prompt or run box type this command. "netsh ip reset
    tcp.log" without the quotes. This will reset and reinstall the tcp/ip
    stack/parameters and create a log file of what it done called tcp.log.

    pcbutts1, Dec 3, 2003
  7. Niobe Rayne

    William Guest

> [...]

    > messages on the network. Also noticed that when this computer attempts a
    > DHCP Acquire, there is no response from the DHCP server. All traffic from
    > both network cards is ignored.
    > -Used Packet Analyzer with manual IP config- All traffic from the computer
    > is ignored
    > -Compared Packet output from known working computer and this computer- All
    > packets are properly formed
    >
    > Interesting thing of note: This computer appears to connect to the network
    > without being powered on. The computer is definitely OFF, but once the
    > network cable is plugged in, the Cable Modem PC light comes on, and data
    > begins transmitting. Again, this is before the computer is even turned on.

    > have no idea what could cause this, or if it is normal.
    >
    > I'm at my wits end with this problem, any help would be greatly

    William Replied: Have you checked system "SERVICES"
    local, and made sure that the DHCP client is started and set to automatic
    ?........and if so, have you checked the "Services"
    dependencies,............. and that the System Components are listed and
    intact..AFD Networking support Enviroment, NetBios over T cpip, TCP/IP
    Protocal Driver, IPSEC Driver ?
    William, Dec 3, 2003
  8. Niobe Rayne

    Billh Guest

    Have you looked at the modem learning a MAC angle? My cable ISP will only
    let the modem work with one MAC it has learned so the first computer you
    plug in will work the rest will not. In fact when I put my router in line I
    had to clone the MAC from my main computer. The learned MAC could only be
    reset by a cable Tech at the office.

    Billh, Dec 3, 2003