Very cool fan

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bigal, Mar 7, 2006.

?

Do you fancy a temperature display in your fan?

Poll closed Jun 5, 2006.
  1. Sure, I'm an easy kind of person.....

    2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Only if they display the metric values

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Only if they display the English values

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Big Al for President

    3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Check out this Thermaltake fan: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4179
    :adore: :adore: :fluff: :shake: :rockon:
    Product Details:

    Thermaltake Technology officially presents you the iFlash Mini fan – the fan that is visually stunning. The fan itself is an 80 x 80mm fan, spinning at 2,000RPM, and the noise level is only rated at 21dBA. The near-silent construction and operation featuring high-volume airflow enables any user to install the iFlash Mini onto either chassis or heatsinks.

    Unlike the standard traditional fans, the iFlash Mini utilizes a streamline cover on top of the fan. When the fan is operating, the fan blades will be able to display the word “Thermaltake” and the current operating temperature. The fan will attract anyone that sees the computer system under its blue background glow. When the iFlash Mini is installed on a CPU heatsink, it will be able to display the temperature that is on top of the heatsink at the moment and the user will know whether the chassis cooling is adequate.

    Thermaltake Technology’s iFlash Mini is greatly different from the standard LED fans on the market. The fan utilizes magnetic induction instead of direct current electricity. As a result, there are no friction that would cause excess heat, wear, and tear of the traditional LED fans. The longevity of the iFlash Mini is another demonstration of the effort Thermaltake Technology puts in to provide the highest-quality product users will be able to use in the market today.

    *** NEW *** Thermaltake iFlash Mini 80mm LED Logo Case Fan - Sleeved
    $18.95

    Features:

    * 80x80x25 Fan (2000RPM. 21dBA)
    * Eight Red LED shining fantastic LOGO words
    * Real-time environment temperature display
    * Rotating and dancing “Thermaltake” Logo

    [​IMG]

    bigal, Mar 7, 2006

  2. bigal

    Silverstrand

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2005
    Messages:
    1,949
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    I noticed those the other day on XOxide. Yet, they are too pricey...

    Silverstrand, Mar 8, 2006

  3. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If there was a way to interface to the ROM so you could program it with something like....hmmm...like.....I know, Big Al's Computers!....it would be worth twice as much. With my luck, they would add this feature but you would have to use assembly language.

    bigal, Mar 8, 2006
  4. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Thermaltake huh? Probably won't fit on most cases, only works in one direction, makes a lot of noise and produces heat instead of cool. Of course they just HAD to have the thing display their lame ass name on it, which makes it a definate NO in my book. I wouldn't be caught dead displaying thermalcrap's name.

    The Modfather, Mar 9, 2006
  5. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    On the other hand, if it displayed "Modfather"....

    bigal, Mar 9, 2006
  6. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    That'd be nice but, is it still a Thermaltake? If so I'd probably pass on it still.

    The Modfather, Mar 9, 2006
  7. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    Lol see what i mean everything Made by thermaltake is crap. I am not saying that but Modfather is :p. If it was programmable, it would problably not be ASM but it would be using a connection interface such as Serial(COMPORT) or USB(Serial interface) or even as olde as parlell (old Printer sized ports)

    unholy, Mar 9, 2006
  8. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    It'd be USB, no doubt. Nobody uses Serial or Parallel ports anymore. I do have a fan that does something similar to that though, it displays a skull when the fan rotates in a sort of LED looking thing, kinda cool looking.

    The Modfather, Mar 10, 2006
  9. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    ...so if this fan were made by Cooler Master, it might be cool looking too....

    bigal, Mar 10, 2006
  10. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Not if it had "Cooler Master" plastered on the side of it in lights, no, it wouldn't. I don't particularly go for that "NASCAR" look on my rigs. If they want me to advertise for them, well damnit, they need to pay ME not the other way around.

    The Modfather, Mar 10, 2006
  11. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    Thats a good point Modfather, Thermaltake advertise on their products to much.. i cant use the ToughPower Because they stuck a big Picture with lumpyness on the side!

    unholy, Mar 10, 2006
  12. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Yep, they kill themselves by doing this too. They're trying to appeal to those of us in the modding world and forgetting that as modders, we want our stuff to look OUR WAY and not someone else's. So by slapping your name or logo all over a product you're in a sense, just going back to the days of beige boxes. Modders don't like that and won't support companies that do it. The first thing I normally do with anything I mod is remove any and all traces of existing product name placement, logos or writing. If I wanted to advertise for a company then I'd expect to be paid for it.

    So while the fan is a cool idea, it's a poor implementation of it, and of course with it being Thermaltake it's quality is questionable.

    The Modfather, Mar 11, 2006
  13. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    I just hope my thermaltake toughpower 550 doesn't blow, cause its the last 24pin i have :|

    unholy, Mar 12, 2006
  14. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Ouch, well that blows the big one. I might have a spare 24 pin around but I'd have to hunt.

    The Modfather, Mar 12, 2006
  15. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    "...it's quality is questionable" Sounds like a QA engineer to me! I'm sure they can make decent stuff. It's only a matter of time.

    bigal, Mar 12, 2006
  16. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    i have already gone through two PSU's that are same model, but the thing is they both died for different reason (in my mind) By the way anyone Looking at buying a Sunbeam Nuuo and u live in Australia, Think about gettting a UBER SUPER exact line filter if u want to use it for longer then 3 months. The Nuuo doesn't seem to like Jittery (220-235 VAC) It hates it with a passion!

    PSU Death Count: 5 (Chance of increase: 60% +/- 2%, On increase)

    I have already killed 2 Brand Newish 550 Watters, i have also killed a el cheapo 230 Watter and 1 old 130 watt AT, and i purpose kill an old 486 PSU!! :)

    unholy, Mar 12, 2006
  17. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Didn't you get a UPS for Christmas? Or was that something else? You go through PSU's like most people go through socks, it's embarassing, you really need to fix that power problem before you fry some more expensive parts.

    The Modfather, Mar 13, 2006
  18. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I'm not sure what he could be doing that would drive the PSU's insane. It must be some of his test methods. Or perhaps something else is failing, and he's blaming the PSU. It could be that Australian 220 V line voltage though. Maybe that's tougher on the circuitry.

    bigal, Mar 13, 2006
  19. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    I think its the APFC Module, i dont think they are made for the instense Jitter! :|

    unholy, Mar 14, 2006
  20. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Is there a history of other electrical devices failing at your house, Unholy? Things like clock radios and such? Do you have an UPS connected to your computers - all of them? I have an UPS on all of my computers. It's like an insurance policy.

    bigal, Mar 14, 2006