Very clean image at ISO-6400...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ben Miller, Jun 16, 2007.

  1. Ben Miller

    Ben Miller Guest

    Ben Miller, Jun 16, 2007

  2. ? "Ben Miller" <> ?????? ??? ??????
    news:...
    > http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/1d-mk-iii.htm
    >
    > Pretty sweet for the indoors shooters....

    Yeah, fine, well done Canon.Although 2 1d-MkIII would cost almost as a car,
    here....Although it's worth it....

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    major in electrical engineering
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Jun 16, 2007

  3. Ben Miller

    Aaron Guest

    And lo, Ben Miller <> emerged from the ether
    and spake thus:
    > http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/1d-mk-iii.htm
    >
    > Pretty sweet for the indoors shooters....

    Isn't there an option to turn NR on or off on these models? Although
    the "mosaic" effect, as you describe it, seems to help in some places,
    I'd prefer to have more precise control over NR using e.g. Noise
    Ninja, which results in a similar effect. Sometimes I *like* the
    noise.

    At first glace I thought it might have been run through Noise Ninja.

    --
    Aaron
    http://www.fisheyegallery.com
    Aaron, Jun 18, 2007
  4. "Aaron" <> wrote:
    > And lo, Ben Miller <> emerged from the ether
    > and spake thus:
    >> http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/1d-mk-iii.htm
    >>
    >> Pretty sweet for the indoors shooters....

    > Isn't there an option to turn NR on or off on these models?

    Yes. Just shoot in raw mode.

    Here's the 5D at ISO 3200 to 25,600.

    http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/75359389/original

    > Although
    > the "mosaic" effect, as you describe it, seems to help in some places,

    That smearing is pretty gross. I've not seen anything that bad in other
    1DIII images.

    > I'd prefer to have more precise control over NR using e.g. Noise
    > Ninja, which results in a similar effect. Sometimes I *like* the
    > noise.
    >
    > At first glace I thought it might have been run through Noise Ninja.

    Something like that; it's ugly. It looks more like extreme jpeg compression
    than noise reduction.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Jun 18, 2007
  5. Ben Miller

    Cynicor Guest

    David J. Littleboy wrote:
    > "Aaron" <> wrote:
    >> And lo, Ben Miller <> emerged from the ether
    >> and spake thus:
    >>> http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/1d-mk-iii.htm
    >>>
    >>> Pretty sweet for the indoors shooters....

    >> Isn't there an option to turn NR on or off on these models?

    > Yes. Just shoot in raw mode.
    >
    > Here's the 5D at ISO 3200 to 25,600.
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/75359389/original
    >
    >> Although
    >> the "mosaic" effect, as you describe it, seems to help in some places,

    > That smearing is pretty gross. I've not seen anything that bad in other
    > 1DIII images.

    So how are the results of an ISO 6400 photo vs. an ISO 800 photo that's
    been lightened and smeared and noise reduced?
    Cynicor, Jun 18, 2007
  6. In article <>,
    Ben Miller <> wrote:

    > http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/1d-mk-iii.htm
    >
    > Pretty sweet for the indoors shooters....

    It's a fairly easy scene having bright colors and sharp edges, though.
    Put a tree in there and see if the leaves go through noise reduction
    gracefully.
    Kevin McMurtrie, Jun 19, 2007
  7. Ben Miller

    John Sheehy Guest

    Kevin McMurtrie <> wrote in news:mcmurtri-
    -sjc.supernews.net:

    > It's a fairly easy scene having bright colors and sharp edges, though.
    > Put a tree in there and see if the leaves go through noise reduction
    > gracefully.

    I've looked at the RAW data from the 1Dmk3 at ISO 3200 (which 6400 is just
    a push from), and it truly has a read noise floor about 1/2 stop lower than
    the mk2 at ISO 3200, and less banding, which is generally more annoying
    than its statistical strength would suggest. Add the 2 extra megapixels to
    this, to average the noise even slightly lower over the entire image.

    --

    John P Sheehy <>
    John Sheehy, Jun 20, 2007