    And CAN anamorphic dvds BE stretched vertically?

    Thanks

    No mail, please .. [no incoming mailbox]
    Invalid Address, Oct 28, 2004

  2. Invalid Address

    Richard C. Guest

    "Invalid Address" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I will ONLY watch OAR dvds.
    >
    > Watching dvds filmed in the 2.35:1 aspect ratio on widescreen
    > televisions, the bars on the top and bottom are so small that is seems
    > the picture could stretched vertically with very little distortion.

    =========================
    Then it would not be OAR.
    =========================

    > Widescreen televisions stretch the LARGE side bars horizontally, which
    > DOES distort the picture.

    =====================
    Only if you foolishly choose that option.
    =======================

    > My question is, do any tvs have a VERTICAL stretch mode? (not "zoom"
    > which loses picture info).
    >
    > If so, which ones?
    >
    > And CAN anamorphic dvds BE stretched vertically?
    >
    > Thanks

    =========================
    Why do you want any of this if you watch only in OAR?
    =============================
    Richard C., Oct 28, 2004

  3. Invalid Address

    CK Guest

    > I will ONLY watch OAR dvds.
    >
    > Watching dvds filmed in the 2.35:1 aspect ratio on widescreen
    > televisions, the bars on the top and bottom are so small that is seems
    > the picture could stretched vertically with very little distortion.
    >
    > Widescreen televisions stretch the LARGE side bars horizontally, which
    > DOES distort the picture.
    >
    > My question is, do any tvs have a VERTICAL stretch mode? (not "zoom"
    > which loses picture info).
    >
    > If so, which ones?
    >
    > And CAN anamorphic dvds BE stretched vertically?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > No mail, please .. [no incoming mailbox]

    yes some PAL Philips tvs can do it.
    And it looks horrible. distortion in aspect ratio is more than you think.

    ck
    CK, Oct 28, 2004
  4. >Widescreen televisions stretch the LARGE side bars horizontally, which
    >DOES distort the picture.

    Only on non-anamorphic material.

    Anamorphic DVDs, on the other hand, can be played using the 16x9 NTSC mode on
    various televisions, including 16x9 monitors. What it essentially does is take
    the 4x3 frame and compress it vertically to fit in a 16x9 space.

    For anamorphic DVDs, watching without anamorphic downconversion will make the
    image appear stretched out vertically. The 16X9 mode pushes the scanlines
    closer together, restoring the proper geometry of the image in the frame as
    well as resulting in at least a 30% increase in perceived resolution on
    non-progressive monitors.

    The results are even more fantastic with progressive scan, assuming that the
    reverse 3:2 process and deinterlacing is decent.

    This is why anamorphic widescreen DVDs are preferred so strongly here.

    Pretty much any HDTV and 16x9 display will have an NTSC anamorphic mode onboard
    for this particular purpose.

    But, you can't forget that you have to turn off anamorphic downconversion on
    the player itself to allow this to work right. The settings are in the player
    setup menu. - Reinhart
    LASERandDVDfan, Oct 28, 2004