    I heard all the horror stories about XP and registration that I don't know
    what's true anymore !!!

    Les

    les, Mar 8, 2008

  2. les

    Baron Guest

    les wrote:

    > Hello...
    > I just bought a used IBM 2,8 Ghz dual processor from a local surpluser
    > and he said I could install 2000 as my OS, but it choked with the blue
    > screen, saying it wasn't capable of handling a 2 processor system.
    > I was surprised. (2000 pro workstation) So I dug out a copy of XP
    > home version and installed that. But as I'm a neophyte to XP, I was
    > stuck about the key. The IBM had a label key for "XP Professional 1 -
    > 2 CPU" attached. And I have a "home version". So how many kinds of XP
    > OS's are there? Is there an "XP Professional 1 - 1CPU" as well?
    > If I have to buy another OS, and "home version" won't register, which
    > OS should I consider now?
    > Could I use my "home version" and use the key on the tower to
    > register? Or should I expect no tantrums from home version and it's
    > key?
    >
    > I heard all the horror stories about XP and registration that I don't
    > know what's true anymore !!!
    >
    > Les

    If you have access to a XP-Pro CD use that and use the key from the
    license certificate attached to the machine. M$ will register it just
    fine.

    A better Idea would be to put Linux on it........... ;-)

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    Baron, Mar 8, 2008

  3. You MUST have Service Pack 2, or many applications will not load properly,
    if they load at all.

    I use both XP Home and XP Pro -- different machines, of course -- and I find
    both of them to be rock solid. I had my share of problems before I finally
    got my OS validated and then installed SP2. Validation is the functional
    equivelent to buying the OS, if your copy of XP is one of the many copies of
    the early release, it can not be validated, and SP2 will not be available to
    you until you buy a copy of the OS from MSoft or other source. If your copy
    is an authorized release, it can be validated and then the service pack will
    download, and you will be good after that.

    MSoft will not let many different apps install unless SP2 is loaded. I
    bought an authentic copy of XP Home from the local computer surplus store
    for $130, and it came with the authentication key and SP2.

    Jeff Strickland, Mar 8, 2008
  4. les

    Baron Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:

    > You MUST have Service Pack 2, or many applications will not load
    > properly, if they load at all.
    >
    > I use both XP Home and XP Pro -- different machines, of course -- and
    > I find both of them to be rock solid. I had my share of problems
    > before I finally got my OS validated and then installed SP2.
    > Validation is the functional equivelent to buying the OS, if your copy
    > of XP is one of the many copies of the early release, it can not be
    > validated,

    I have never had that experience. Every legitimate copy I have dealt
    with has passed validation.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    Baron, Mar 8, 2008
  5. les

    les Guest

    Okay, so I bought a copy of XP Pro from a good friend who had it on
    his laptop last year, and since the laptop has been trashed.
    However, the disk is a valid one( from Gateway originally, as
    was his laptop) and now the key keeps coming up as invalid when
    I try to use the one from MS on the tower itself.
    (And the surpluser is very legit and runs a large warehouse operation
    in chicago)
    So, what gives?
    This makes no sense !!

    Obviously there is some discord. And yes, I tried retyping the key 3
    times....

    Les

    les, Mar 8, 2008
  6. les

    relic Guest

    les wrote:
    > Okay, so I bought a copy of XP Pro from a good friend who had it on
    > his laptop last year, and since the laptop has been trashed.
    > However, the disk is a valid one( from Gateway originally, as
    > was his laptop) and now the key keeps coming up as invalid when
    > I try to use the one from MS on the tower itself.
    > (And the surpluser is very legit and runs a large warehouse operation
    > in chicago)
    > So, what gives?
    > This makes no sense !!
    >
    > Obviously there is some discord. And yes, I tried retyping the key 3
    > times....

    It's probably BIOS locked to a Gateway. If so, it won't work on a different
    brand.

    relic, Mar 8, 2008
  7. "Baron" <> wrote in message
    > Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >
    >> You MUST have Service Pack 2, or many applications will not load
    >> properly, if they load at all.
    >>
    >> I use both XP Home and XP Pro -- different machines, of course -- and
    >> I find both of them to be rock solid. I had my share of problems
    >> before I finally got my OS validated and then installed SP2.
    >> Validation is the functional equivelent to buying the OS, if your copy
    >> of XP is one of the many copies of the early release, it can not be
    >> validated,

    > I have never had that experience. Every legitimate copy I have dealt
    > with has passed validation.

    I have an illegitimate copy of XP Pro, and assume I am not the only one that
    has it.

    I agree, the legitimate copies will validate easily. I think the term is
    ACTIVATE, but I don't think the distinction matters very much.

    If one is burdened with an illegitimate copy, the activation/validatiion
    process to obtain Service Pack 2 will lead you to the MSoft Website where
    there will be an offer to download the OS immediately and a CD will follow
    in the mail a few days later.

    Jeff Strickland, Mar 8, 2008
  8. les

    relic Guest

    les wrote:
    > Hello...
    > I just bought a used IBM 2,8 Ghz dual processor from a local surpluser
    > and he said I could install 2000 as my OS, but it choked with the blue
    > screen, saying it wasn't capable of handling a 2 processor system.
    > I was surprised. (2000 pro workstation) So I dug out a copy of XP
    > home version and installed that. But as I'm a neophyte to XP, I was
    > stuck about the key. The IBM had a label key for "XP Professional 1 -
    > 2 CPU" attached. And I have a "home version". So how many kinds of XP

    XP Home doesn't support Dual Processors.

    > OS's
    > are there? Is there an "XP Professional 1 - 1CPU" as well?
    > If I have to buy another OS, and "home version" won't register, which
    > OS should I consider now?

    XP Pro

    > Could I use my "home version" and use the key on the tower to
    > register? Or should I expect no tantrums from home version and it's
    > key?

    A "Home" Key won't work with XP Pro. You also must match OEM vs. Retail
    version.

    > I heard all the horror stories about XP and registration that I don't
    > know what's true anymore !!!

    (You mean Activation, not registration.) None of the horror stories are true
    if you're installing a legit copy on your PC. (Not all OEM versions will
    install on "any" machine.)

    relic, Mar 8, 2008
  9. You have to use the correct Product Key. Your friend should have copied the
    key from his trashed machine so he could use the CD later in another
    machine.

    I use a Sharpie and write the code on the front of the CD so I always have
    it available. The key is 5 sets of 5 digits, where the digits can be alpha
    or numeric. The key is embedded in the code on the CD, and you have to type
    in the same code when you install the OS (or application -- the same thing
    exists in both instances). This is supposed to keep people from passing the
    CD around to friends and loading the program onto multiple machines.

    The product key is a 25-bit number, where each bit can be any of 36
    different digits. That's alot of different keys. One block of 5 digits has
    36 x 36 x 36 x 36 x 36 = 60,466,176 combinations, and there are five blocks.

    Jeff Strickland, Mar 8, 2008
  10. "relic" <> wrote in message
    > les wrote:
    >> Okay, so I bought a copy of XP Pro from a good friend who had it on
    >> his laptop last year, and since the laptop has been trashed.
    >> However, the disk is a valid one( from Gateway originally, as
    >> was his laptop) and now the key keeps coming up as invalid when
    >> I try to use the one from MS on the tower itself.
    >> (And the surpluser is very legit and runs a large warehouse operation
    >> in chicago)
    >> So, what gives?
    >> This makes no sense !!
    >>
    >> Obviously there is some discord. And yes, I tried retyping the key 3
    >> times....

    > It's probably BIOS locked to a Gateway. If so, it won't work on a
    > different brand.

    He's gotta use the right key.

    Jeff Strickland, Mar 8, 2008
  11. les

    Baron Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:

    > "Baron" <> wrote in message
    >> Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >>
    >>> You MUST have Service Pack 2, or many applications will not load
    >>> properly, if they load at all.
    >>>
    >>> I use both XP Home and XP Pro -- different machines, of course --
    >>> and I find both of them to be rock solid. I had my share of problems
    >>> before I finally got my OS validated and then installed SP2.
    >>> Validation is the functional equivelent to buying the OS, if your
    >>> copy of XP is one of the many copies of the early release, it can
    >>> not be validated,

    >> I have never had that experience. Every legitimate copy I have dealt
    >> with has passed validation.
    >>

    > I have an illegitimate copy of XP Pro, and assume I am not the only
    > one that has it.
    >
    > I agree, the legitimate copies will validate easily. I think the term
    > is ACTIVATE, but I don't think the distinction matters very much.

    Agreed.

    > If one is burdened with an illegitimate copy, the
    > activation/validatiion process to obtain Service Pack 2 will lead you
    > to the MSoft Website where there will be an offer to download the OS
    > immediately and a CD will follow in the mail a few days later.

    Thanks Jeff.
    Touch wood! I must have been lucky, very lucky !
    I didn't know about the last bit though. Thanks for telling me about
    it.
    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    Baron, Mar 8, 2008
  12. les

    Baron Guest

    les wrote:

    > Okay, so I bought a copy of XP Pro from a good friend who had it on
    > his laptop last year, and since the laptop has been trashed.

    That would not be a legitimate copy since the license conditions
    specifically state that the license is not transferable, and in that
    case it dies with the machine.

    > However, the disk is a valid one( from Gateway originally, as
    > was his laptop) and now the key keeps coming up as invalid when
    > I try to use the one from MS on the tower itself.

    That is because the license on the machine and the disk you are trying
    to use do not match. Get the correct disk for the license attached to
    the machine and you will be fine.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    Baron, Mar 8, 2008
  13. les

    Baron Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:

    > "relic" <> wrote in message
    >> les wrote:
    >>> Okay, so I bought a copy of XP Pro from a good friend who had it on
    >>> his laptop last year, and since the laptop has been trashed.
    >>> However, the disk is a valid one( from Gateway originally, as
    >>> was his laptop) and now the key keeps coming up as invalid when
    >>> I try to use the one from MS on the tower itself.
    >>> (And the surpluser is very legit and runs a large warehouse
    >>> operation in chicago)
    >>> So, what gives?
    >>> This makes no sense !!
    >>>
    >>> Obviously there is some discord. And yes, I tried retyping the key 3
    >>> times....

    >> It's probably BIOS locked to a Gateway. If so, it won't work on a
    >> different brand.

    Relic is right! Gateway use BIOS locked keys. There is no way he can
    use it on another machine. Not without hacking it anyway.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    Baron, Mar 8, 2008
  14. "Baron" <> wrote in message
    > Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >

    >> "Baron" <> wrote in message

    >>> I have never had that experience. Every legitimate copy I have dealt
    >>> with has passed validation.
    >>>

    >> I have an illegitimate copy of XP Pro, and assume I am not the only
    >> one that has it.
    >>
    >> I agree, the legitimate copies will validate easily. I think the term
    >> is ACTIVATE, but I don't think the distinction matters very much.

    > Agreed.
    >
    >> If one is burdened with an illegitimate copy, the
    >> activation/validatiion process to obtain Service Pack 2 will lead you
    >> to the MSoft Website where there will be an offer to download the OS
    >> immediately and a CD will follow in the mail a few days later.

    > Thanks Jeff.
    > Touch wood! I must have been lucky, very lucky !
    > I didn't know about the last bit though. Thanks for telling me about
    > it.

    NOTE TO PAROLE BOARD,
    That was not me talking about touching wood.

    Jeff Strickland, Mar 8, 2008
  15. "Baron" <> wrote in message
    > les wrote:
    >
    >> Okay, so I bought a copy of XP Pro from a good friend who had it on
    >> his laptop last year, and since the laptop has been trashed.

    > That would not be a legitimate copy since the license conditions
    > specifically state that the license is not transferable, and in that
    > case it dies with the machine.
    >
    >> However, the disk is a valid one( from Gateway originally, as
    >> was his laptop) and now the key keeps coming up as invalid when
    >> I try to use the one from MS on the tower itself.

    > That is because the license on the machine and the disk you are trying
    > to use do not match. Get the correct disk for the license attached to
    > the machine and you will be fine.

    Now I'm confused.

    I just installed XP Home to an old Win ME machine. The XP was designated as
    for release with a new machine only, but the machine was not the same as the
    one I installed to.

    The only thing I am aware of on the Product Key is that the key is embedded
    into the setup when the CD is compiled, and the key the user is asked for
    has to be the same as in the code.

    I'm pretty sure the OP simply has the wrong key code for the CD he is using.
    Yes, Dell, for example, has unique drivers that they load, but I am
    confident that the OS itself is the same, and can be used on any machine. If
    you get a Dell driver that you don't need, then it will only take space but
    provide no service. That's no big deal.

    Jeff Strickland, Mar 8, 2008
  16. les

    Baron Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:

    > "Baron" <> wrote in message
    >> Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Baron" <> wrote in message

    >>> I have an illegitimate copy of XP Pro, and assume I am not the only
    >>> one that has it.
    >>>
    >>> I agree, the legitimate copies will validate easily. I think the
    >>> term is ACTIVATE, but I don't think the distinction matters very
    >>> much.

    >> Agreed.
    >>
    >>> If one is burdened with an illegitimate copy, the
    >>> activation/validatiion process to obtain Service Pack 2 will lead
    >>> you to the MSoft Website where there will be an offer to download
    >>> the OS immediately and a CD will follow in the mail a few days
    >>> later.

    >> Thanks Jeff.
    >> Touch wood! I must have been lucky, very lucky !
    >> I didn't know about the last bit though. Thanks for telling me about
    >> it.

    > NOTE TO PAROLE BOARD,
    > That was not me talking about touching wood.

    Wasn't me guv.... :)
    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    Baron, Mar 8, 2008
  17. les

    Baron Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:

    > "Baron" <> wrote in message
    >> les wrote:
    >>
    >>> Okay, so I bought a copy of XP Pro from a good friend who had it on
    >>> his laptop last year, and since the laptop has been trashed.

    >> That would not be a legitimate copy since the license conditions
    >> specifically state that the license is not transferable, and in that
    >> case it dies with the machine.
    >>
    >>> However, the disk is a valid one( from Gateway originally, as
    >>> was his laptop) and now the key keeps coming up as invalid when
    >>> I try to use the one from MS on the tower itself.

    >> That is because the license on the machine and the disk you are
    >> trying
    >> to use do not match. Get the correct disk for the license attached
    >> to the machine and you will be fine.
    >>

    > Now I'm confused.
    >
    > I just installed XP Home to an old Win ME machine. The XP was
    > designated as for release with a new machine only, but the machine was
    > not the same as the one I installed to.
    >
    > The only thing I am aware of on the Product Key is that the key is
    > embedded into the setup when the CD is compiled, and the key the user
    > is asked for has to be the same as in the code.
    >
    > I'm pretty sure the OP simply has the wrong key code for the CD he is
    > using. Yes, Dell, for example, has unique drivers that they load, but
    > I am confident that the OS itself is the same, and can be used on any
    > machine. If you get a Dell driver that you don't need, then it will
    > only take space but provide no service. That's no big deal.

    There are several different levels of CD. The key on the machine will
    only work with the correct CD level. There are no key numbers embedded
    into the CD's.

    Each Win variant has OEM and Retail versions (ignoring bulk and
    manufacturer specific versions) the license certificate tells you which
    CD version is required, or rather implies. If for instance it
    says "Dell" then it requires that the specific CD is used to return the
    machine to the originally manufactured state. That CD is usually BIOS
    locked to that specific machine and will not function with anything
    else.

    You can sometimes use a retail or Oem CD version to put a clean copy on
    a machine using the COA number.

    Unfortunately I don't know the precise details, never having had to deal
    with dodgy copies.
    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    Baron, Mar 8, 2008
  18. "Baron" <> wrote in message
    > Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >

    >> "Baron" <> wrote in message

    >>> That would not be a legitimate copy since the license conditions
    >>> specifically state that the license is not transferable, and in that
    >>> case it dies with the machine.

    >>> That is because the license on the machine and the disk you are
    >>> trying
    >>> to use do not match. Get the correct disk for the license attached
    >>> to the machine and you will be fine.
    >>>

    >> Now I'm confused.
    >>
    >> I just installed XP Home to an old Win ME machine. The XP was
    >> designated as for release with a new machine only, but the machine was
    >> not the same as the one I installed to.
    >>
    >> The only thing I am aware of on the Product Key is that the key is
    >> embedded into the setup when the CD is compiled, and the key the user
    >> is asked for has to be the same as in the code.
    >>
    >> I'm pretty sure the OP simply has the wrong key code for the CD he is
    >> using. Yes, Dell, for example, has unique drivers that they load, but
    >> I am confident that the OS itself is the same, and can be used on any
    >> machine. If you get a Dell driver that you don't need, then it will
    >> only take space but provide no service. That's no big deal.

    > There are several different levels of CD. The key on the machine will
    > only work with the correct CD level. There are no key numbers embedded
    > into the CD's.
    >
    > Each Win variant has OEM and Retail versions (ignoring bulk and
    > manufacturer specific versions) the license certificate tells you which
    > CD version is required, or rather implies. If for instance it
    > says "Dell" then it requires that the specific CD is used to return the
    > machine to the originally manufactured state. That CD is usually BIOS
    > locked to that specific machine and will not function with anything
    > else.
    >
    > You can sometimes use a retail or Oem CD version to put a clean copy on
    > a machine using the COA number.
    >
    > Unfortunately I don't know the precise details, never having had to deal
    > with dodgy copies.
    > --
    > Best Regards:
    > Baron.

    I once worked for a software developer, and we (without a doubt) embedded
    the key code in the software at burn-time. It was a piracy issue.

    Not wanting to dwell on Dell specifications, I have successfully installed
    Win XP versions (Home and Pro) on non-Dell machines. A Dell machine might
    want a Dell-specified OS, but a Dell-specified OS has worked on any non-Dell
    machine I have pushed it into. I'll be the first to admit that my data set
    is very small, but the Strickland Luck Theorem says that if there is going
    to be a problem, it will affect me first. Since I have not been affected, I
    have to question what you say. (Strickland Luck is a less optimistic version
    of Murphy's Law.)

    Jeff Strickland, Mar 8, 2008
  19. les

    Neil Green Guest

    "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message

    > "Baron" <> wrote
    > in message
    >> Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Baron" <>
    >>> wrote in message

    >>> Now I'm confused.
    >>>
    >>> I just installed XP Home to an old Win ME machine.
    >>> The XP was
    >>> designated as for release with a new machine only,
    >>> but the machine was
    >>> not the same as the one I installed to.
    >>>
    >>> The only thing I am aware of on the Product Key is
    >>> that the key is
    >>> embedded into the setup when the CD is compiled,
    >>> and the key the user
    >>> is asked for has to be the same as in the code.
    >>>
    >>> I'm pretty sure the OP simply has the wrong key
    >>> code for the CD he is
    >>> using. Yes, Dell, for example, has unique drivers
    >>> that they load, but
    >>> I am confident that the OS itself is the same, and
    >>> can be used on any
    >>> machine. If you get a Dell driver that you don't
    >>> need, then it will
    >>> only take space but provide no service. That's no
    >>> big deal.

    >> There are several different levels of CD. The key
    >> on the machine will
    >> only work with the correct CD level. There are no
    >> key numbers embedded
    >> into the CD's.
    >>
    >> Each Win variant has OEM and Retail versions
    >> (ignoring bulk and
    >> manufacturer specific versions) the license
    >> certificate tells you which
    >> CD version is required, or rather implies. If for
    >> instance it
    >> says "Dell" then it requires that the specific CD
    >> is used to return the
    >> machine to the originally manufactured state. That
    >> CD is usually BIOS
    >> locked to that specific machine and will not
    >> function with anything
    >> else.
    >>
    >> You can sometimes use a retail or Oem CD version to
    >> put a clean copy on
    >> a machine using the COA number.
    >>
    >> Unfortunately I don't know the precise details,
    >> never having had to deal
    >> with dodgy copies.
    >> --
    >> Best Regards:
    >> Baron.

    > I once worked for a software developer, and we
    > (without a doubt) embedded the key code in the
    > software at burn-time. It was a piracy issue.

    Maybe, but that's not the case with XP.
    I have a legit copy of XP Pro and have used the same
    CD to install it on my wife's friend's PC using a
    hacked key.
    It won't validate at the MS update site but the
    machine isn't connected to the net and is used only
    for wordprocessing and photo storage and editing.
    A keygen will pump out hundreds of keys that can be
    used for the install, and SP2 can be downloaded easily
    without going near MS.
    I believe the validation can be circumvented
    relatively easily as well but I haven't needed to try
    as my copy is legal.

    Neil Green, Mar 8, 2008
  20. les

    Baron Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:

    > "Baron" <> wrote in message
    >> Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Baron" <> wrote in message

    >>> Now I'm confused.
    >>>
    >>> I just installed XP Home to an old Win ME machine. The XP was
    >>> designated as for release with a new machine only, but the machine
    >>> was not the same as the one I installed to.
    >>>
    >>> The only thing I am aware of on the Product Key is that the key is
    >>> embedded into the setup when the CD is compiled, and the key the
    >>> user is asked for has to be the same as in the code.
    >>>
    >>> I'm pretty sure the OP simply has the wrong key code for the CD he
    >>> is using. Yes, Dell, for example, has unique drivers that they load,
    >>> but I am confident that the OS itself is the same, and can be used
    >>> on any machine. If you get a Dell driver that you don't need, then
    >>> it will only take space but provide no service. That's no big deal.

    >> There are several different levels of CD. The key on the machine
    >> will
    >> only work with the correct CD level. There are no key numbers
    >> embedded into the CD's.
    >>
    >> Each Win variant has OEM and Retail versions (ignoring bulk and
    >> manufacturer specific versions) the license certificate tells you
    >> which
    >> CD version is required, or rather implies. If for instance it
    >> says "Dell" then it requires that the specific CD is used to return
    >> the
    >> machine to the originally manufactured state. That CD is usually
    >> BIOS locked to that specific machine and will not function with
    >> anything else.
    >>
    >> You can sometimes use a retail or Oem CD version to put a clean copy
    >> on a machine using the COA number.
    >>
    >> Unfortunately I don't know the precise details, never having had to
    >> deal with dodgy copies.
    >> --
    >> Best Regards:
    >> Baron.

    > I once worked for a software developer, and we (without a doubt)
    > embedded the key code in the software at burn-time. It was a piracy
    > issue.

    Yes piracy is a big problem. Note I do not use any closed source
    software. So piracy for me is not an issue. Who would steal something
    that is available for free ?

    > Not wanting to dwell on Dell specifications, I have successfully
    > installed Win XP versions (Home and Pro) on non-Dell machines. A Dell
    > machine might want a Dell-specified OS, but a Dell-specified OS has
    > worked on any non-Dell machine I have pushed it into. I'll be the
    > first to admit that my data set is very small, but the Strickland Luck
    > Theorem says that if there is going to be a problem, it will affect me
    > first. Since I have not been affected, I have to question what you
    > say. (Strickland Luck is a less optimistic version of Murphy's Law.)

    Maybe "Dell" was not a good example! But BIOS locked versions will not
    work on any but the machine they were made for. Most often this is
    seen as a pre-activated version, often in the form of a recovery disk.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    Baron, Mar 8, 2008