    Can someone explain to me how this relates to all the other (seemingly)
    versions of x64? (e.g. Vista etc etc)

    Colin
    Colin Nowell, Aug 20, 2005

  2. Currently there is only one client edition of Windows XP 64-bit that is
    released and its Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. The build number 3790,
    reflects the code base upon which Windows XP Pro x64 was built which is
    Windows Server 2003 SP1, thats why it carries the SP1 naming instead of the
    SP2 naming which supported for Windows XP Professional x86 (32-bit). But not
    to worry, the SP1 included with XP Pro x64 has all of the SP2 Security
    technologies. The shrink wrapped OEM Case is just the packaging for this
    special edition of Windows which supports 64 bit hardware only (AMD 64 and
    Intel EM64T)

    Windows Vista x64 is just one of the many editions of the next version of
    Windows planned and its still is the early stages of development. I wouldn't
    bother to worry about that right now, except to say it will be released in
    both x64 and x86 to support the appropriate hardware architectures out
    there.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa, Aug 20, 2005

  3. Colin Nowell

    John Barnes Guest

    There is only one Windows XP Professional x64 Edition OEM. Vista is the
    new name for the Longhorn OS which is to be released sometime next year.

    John Barnes, Aug 20, 2005
  4. That is the shipping version of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. The SP1
    is correct, since this release is actually built on Windows Server 2003 SP1
    code. The other versions of x64 Windows are: Windows Server 2003 Standard
    x64 Edition, Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64 Edition, and Windows Server
    2003 Datacenter x64 Edition. They are server OSs instead of client OSs.

    Windows Vista is the current name for a future operating system that may or
    may not have the Vista name by the time it ships, but is at this point in
    the VERY early stages of the beta process. It is unclear what the final
    available versioning will look like, but there will definitely be x64
    versions when it ships.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 20, 2005
  5. Colin Nowell

    Colin Nowell Guest

    Thanks, that's cleared that up. Nice concise answer. :)

    However, still can't figure why Real Player 10.5 installs on Vista but not
    on this?

    Colin

    Colin Nowell, Aug 20, 2005