    find the answer... Are there any differences between TSQL of 7.0 and
    2000?

    Regards, morhenRaxx

    morhenRaxx, Oct 29, 2003

  2. morhenRaxx

    Jay Walters Guest

    T-SQL is a language, it's not versioned per se. I'm not
    sure if any syntax changes were introduced between SQL 7
    and 2000 .. but for all intent and purposes - it's the
    same language.

    On the flip side, words are added to the English
    Dictionary every year, we don't people if they speak
    English 2000 or 2003 :)

    is written in
    >"The Guru's Guide to Transact-SQL" by Ken Henderson

    (ISBN:
    >0-201-61576-2), TSQL from SQL Server 7.0 or 2000?,

    because I couldn't

    Jay Walters, Oct 29, 2003

  3. morhenRaxx

    Guest Guest

    user defined functions ...

    The most significant difference between SQL 2000 and SQL 7.0 (from a T-SQL
    programmer's point of view) is the implementation of 'user defined
    functions'. If you write a lot of queries that repeat the same complex
    calculations then it really comes in handy.

    WKidd

    Guest, Oct 29, 2003
  4. morhenRaxx

    Maria Guest

    I agree, there appear to be no syntax changes in SQL2K,
    but there are some very nice new features. The two types
    of table-valued functions are especially useful.

    New and Enhanced Features in Transact-SQL
    url=/library/en-us/tsqlref/ts_3_bckwrd_1fak.asp

    Maria, Oct 29, 2003
  5. morhenRaxx

    Kline Sphere Guest

    Re: user defined functions ...

    > If you write a lot of queries that repeat the same complex
    >calculations then it really comes in handy.

    Could never understand why they were never included before, given that
    they have been part of the ansi standard for some time now.

    However, as with most constructs, when used inappropriately they can
    have detrimentally impact on performance.

    Kline Sphere, Oct 30, 2003
  6. morhenRaxx

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >T-SQL is a language, it's not versioned per se. I'm not
    >sure if any syntax changes were introduced between SQL 7
    >and 2000 .. but for all intent and purposes - it's the
    >same language.

    Thankfully it's improved since it's sybase days!

    Kline Sphere, Oct 30, 2003
  7. morhenRaxx

    morhenRaxx Guest

    "Maria" <a@b> wrote in message news:<010d01c39e42$23559fb0$>...
    > I agree, there appear to be no syntax changes in SQL2K,
    > but there are some very nice new features. The two types
    > of table-valued functions are especially useful.
    >
    > New and Enhanced Features in Transact-SQL
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?
    > url=/library/en-us/tsqlref/ts_3_bckwrd_1fak.asp

    Thanx :)

    morhenRaxx

    morhenRaxx, Oct 31, 2003
  8. morhenRaxx

    morhenRaxx Guest

    Re: user defined functions ...

    <WKidd> wrote in message news:<>...
    > The most significant difference between SQL 2000 and SQL 7.0 (from a T-SQL
    > programmer's point of view) is the implementation of 'user defined
    > functions'. If you write a lot of queries that repeat the same complex
    > calculations then it really comes in handy.
    >
    > WKidd

    Thank you, I've been considering buying Henderson's "guide to TSQL" and I saw
    udfs described in his second book (guide to stored procedures, xml & html).
    Now I have no doubt I'll buy these two books for sure. :)

    Regards,
    morhenRaxx

    morhenRaxx, Oct 31, 2003