Versatile macro lens cor digital Canon D30?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by TPK, Nov 4, 2006.

  1. TPK

    TPK Guest

    Versatile macro lens

    I am an old school photographer. Up until recently the equipment I used
    was 4 x 5, 2.25 x 2.25 and 35 mm film. I'm used to using manual
    settings and often a manual light meter (an old LunaPro).

    Recently I purchased a Canon D30 digital camera. (Later I would like to
    purchase a 35 mm file camera body that will work with most of the same
    lenses.) I like the weight and feel of the camera, but the lens
    mounting system is totally different from my old equipment. With that
    in mind I have been trying to purchase lenses that do essentially what
    my old equipment did.

    I would like to hear some opinions about macro focusing lenses.

    The lens I used to use a lot was a Vivitar zoom lens that had a macro
    focusing setting (the forward elements actually re-positioned to allow
    zoom macro focusing). Needless to say that lens isn't made any
    longer.

    The macro photography I used to do did not magnify enormously, what it
    was great for was photographing flowers, plants and insects (I am
    unsure what the magnification power ratio was for that old lens),
    mostly objects about 3 inches across down to about .5 inches across.

    Bearing in mind what I have mentioned in the previous paragraphs, what
    would be a good versatile lens to use with my new digital equipment?
    I'm not so concerned with price as I am usability. Are there any
    users that have equipment they really like for this function? Equipment
    that (with the Canon digital camera body) takes clear sharp photos?

    Thank you,

    TPK
    TPK, Nov 4, 2006

  2. TPK

    Bill Hilton Guest

    The Canon 100 f/2.8 macro would fit the bill quite nicely ... will work
    on the D30 and also on Canon digital bodies and goes to 1:1 lifesize
    magnification w/o extension tubes. Very good optics.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Nov 4, 2006

  3. TPK

    Skip Guest