    function during periods when I am in the UK.

    Thanks

    Adrian

    Adrian, Apr 19, 2007

  2. Adrian

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Adrian" <> wrote in message
    news:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Does anyone have any experience of using Verizon's VoIP
    > service outside the US?
    >
    > In the light of Vonage's troubles, I am looking at
    > alternative providers. I am particularly concerned that
    > my US numbers should function during periods when I am in
    > the UK.

    As long as the ISP you're using doesn't block any required ports, I can't
    see any reason it shouldn't work.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Apr 20, 2007

  3. Adrian

    Adrian Guest

    On Apr 19, 5:30 pm, "Ivor Jones" <> wrote:
    > "Adrian" <> wrote in message

    > > Hi All,

    > > Does anyone have any experience of using Verizon's VoIP
    > > service outside the US?

    > > In the light of Vonage's troubles, I am looking at
    > > alternative providers. I am particularly concerned that
    > > my US numbers should function during periods when I am in
    > > the UK.

    > As long as the ISP you're using doesn't block any required ports, I can't
    > see any reason it shouldn't work.
    >
    > Ivor

    Thank you for your input Ivor. Your comments are appreciated.
    Technically I am sure you are correct.

    The issue that concerns me is as follows: As part of their contract,
    Verizon insist that whenever the ATA is moved, the user needs to logon
    and change the physical address for emergency 911 dialing purposes.
    If they cannot handle 911 calls at the new location Verizon reserve
    the right to terminate service. Clearly they cannot handle emergency
    calls if the ATA is in the UK.

    Now, one could just ignore this requirement. But, I am sure Verizon
    can determine where the ATA is connected to the internet by the ISP's
    IP address. So they question is, do they check? And, do they really
    care?

    The foregoing explains why I am looking for someone with actual
    experience of utilizing VoiceWing outside the US.

    Adrian

    Adrian, Apr 20, 2007
  4. Adrian wrote:
    > On Apr 19, 5:30 pm, "Ivor Jones" <> wrote:
    >> "Adrian" <> wrote in message

    >>> Hi All,
    >>> Does anyone have any experience of using Verizon's VoIP
    >>> service outside the US?
    >>> In the light of Vonage's troubles, I am looking at
    >>> alternative providers. I am particularly concerned that
    >>> my US numbers should function during periods when I am in
    >>> the UK.

    >> As long as the ISP you're using doesn't block any required ports, I can't
    >> see any reason it shouldn't work.
    >>
    >> Ivor

    > Thank you for your input Ivor. Your comments are appreciated.
    > Technically I am sure you are correct.
    >
    > The issue that concerns me is as follows: As part of their contract,
    > Verizon insist that whenever the ATA is moved, the user needs to logon
    > and change the physical address for emergency 911 dialing purposes.
    > If they cannot handle 911 calls at the new location Verizon reserve
    > the right to terminate service. Clearly they cannot handle emergency
    > calls if the ATA is in the UK.
    >
    > Now, one could just ignore this requirement. But, I am sure Verizon
    > can determine where the ATA is connected to the internet by the ISP's
    > IP address. So they question is, do they check? And, do they really
    > care?
    >
    > The foregoing explains why I am looking for someone with actual
    > experience of utilizing VoiceWing outside the US.
    >

    > Adrian

    I have Verizon Voicewing. During my divorce, I lived in another city
    over 100 miles away. I used a totally different ISP where I was staying.
    All I did was confirm that I was still at the old address once I arrived
    at my temporary location. Yes, this is cheating and would be problematic
    for 911 service, however, I was in an extraordinary circumstance and had
    many other options available that I would have used for an emergency.

    fugettaboutit, Apr 20, 2007
  5. Adrian

    Adrian Guest

    On Apr 20, 1:04 pm, fugettaboutit <> wrote:
    > Adrian wrote:
    > > On Apr 19, 5:30 pm, "Ivor Jones" <> wrote:
    > >> "Adrian" <> wrote in message

    > >> As long as the ISP you're using doesn't block any required ports, I can't
    > >> see any reason it shouldn't work.

    > >> Ivor

    > > Thank you for your input Ivor. Your comments are appreciated.
    > > Technically I am sure you are correct.

    > > The issue that concerns me is as follows: As part of their contract,
    > > Verizon insist that whenever the ATA is moved, the user needs to logon
    > > and change the physical address for emergency 911 dialing purposes.
    > > If they cannot handle 911 calls at the new location Verizon reserve
    > > the right to terminate service. Clearly they cannot handle emergency
    > > calls if the ATA is in the UK.

    > > Now, one could just ignore this requirement. But, I am sure Verizon
    > > can determine where the ATA is connected to the internet by the ISP's
    > > IP address. So they question is, do they check? And, do they really
    > > care?

    > > The foregoing explains why I am looking for someone with actual
    > > experience of utilizing VoiceWing outside the US.

    > > Adrian

    > I have Verizon Voicewing. During my divorce, I lived in another city
    > over 100 miles away. I used a totally different ISP where I was staying.
    > All I did was confirm that I was still at the old address once I arrived
    > at my temporary location. Yes, this is cheating and would be problematic
    > for 911 service, however, I was in an extraordinary circumstance and had
    > many other options available that I would have used for an emergency.- Hide quoted text -

    Thank you. This is exactly what I needed to know. I have UK numbers
    to summon emergency help in the UK!

    Adrian

    Adrian, Apr 20, 2007