Verizon DSL "Release And Renew" For New IP Address Questions, Please ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Feb 8, 2007.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello:

    Using Verizon DSL, and cannot connect today at all.
    Running XP.

    It was suggested that I do a "Release and Renew"

    The steps according to the Verizon help site are:

    To release and renew your Internet connection in Windows® NT, XP, and 2000:
    [Show Me How]
    1.. Click Start in the Windows taskbar and then select All programs.
    2.. Select Accessories.
    3.. Select Command Prompt.
    4.. In the Command window, enter ipconfig /release.
    5.. When the cursor moves to the next line, enter ipconfig /renew. The
    Command window displays the new IP address.
    Question. My PC, and my wife's are connected to Verizon thru a wireless
    Router.
    It was really murder setting up the Router, and I sure don't want to go thru
    that again.

    Not all that sharp with this stuff.

    So, if I do the Verizon bit, and obtain a new IP address, does this in ANY
    way effect what's set into the Router now
    for its configurations, etc. ?

    Is there anything I would have to do to re-configure my PC proper ?

    Any hookers, caveats, or anything I should be aware of ?

    BTW: Just so I can learn something, maybe, what is this obtaining a new IP
    address about ?
    What is actually happening, etc. ?

    Much thanks, appreciate it,
    Bob
    Robert11, Feb 8, 2007

  2. Robert11

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 15:36:43 -0500, Robert11 wrote:

    >Hello:
    >
    >Using Verizon DSL, and cannot connect today at all.

    Connect to what?

    There is your PC to the router, the router to the ISP, PC to ISP. Then
    further away, PC to sites like www.mozilla.org

    Standard process, turn off ISP modem, router, PC.

    Turn on ISP modem, wait 1 minute
    Turn on router, wait again
    Turn on PC.

    >Running XP.
    >
    >It was suggested that I do a "Release and Renew"
    >
    >The steps according to the Verizon help site are:
    >
    > To release and renew your Internet connection in Windows® NT, XP, and 2000:
    >[Show Me How]
    > 1.. Click Start in the Windows taskbar and then select All programs.
    > 2.. Select Accessories.
    > 3.. Select Command Prompt.
    > 4.. In the Command window, enter ipconfig /release.
    > 5.. When the cursor moves to the next line, enter ipconfig /renew. The
    >Command window displays the new IP address.

    Ok this won't help much if the PCs are using a router. The IP address is
    from the router to your PC. Usually the IP address will be 192.168.0.x

    You want to connect a PC directly to the ISP box,, and get the ISP
    settings directly.

    In addition to display current settings

    ipconfig /all

    A reply with the output of that command may help.

    If the IP address is 169.254.x.y , then the PC can't see the router /
    ISP. Then the PCs automatically use a APIPA
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/A/APIPA.html
    address. So you check the router is working, and that any firewall /
    anti-virus software isn't blocking access to the router, you would need
    to check the FW/AV logs.

    Win 2000 / XP also has a DNS name cache, this is the bit that translates
    names to IP addresses.

    It is quite often handy to clear this cache

    ipconfig /flushdns

    >Question. My PC, and my wife's are connected to Verizon thru a wireless
    >Router.

    So the PCs are wireless or hardwired?

    Fixing any issues like this it's always easier to hardwire a PC to the
    router, gets rid of the 1st hurdle is it the wireless?

    2nd hurdle is take the router out and plug a PC directly to the ISP
    modem. This gets rid of is it the wireless and / or the router.

    >It was really murder setting up the Router, and I sure don't want to go thru
    >that again.

    That's why many have save the config / load the config.

    >Not all that sharp with this stuff.
    >
    >So, if I do the Verizon bit, and obtain a new IP address, does this in ANY
    >way effect what's set into the Router now
    >for its configurations, etc. ?

    A drawing would help here,

    A) In this case your PC gets it's ipconfig settings from the ISP.
    ISP connection - PC

    B) If you have a router (you didn't say what make/model did you?)
    ISP connection - router - PC

    In (A) ipconfig /release and /renew refreshes the ISP address from your
    ISP to the PC. In case (B) the same commands on your PC only refresh the
    address from the router to the PC. For (B) you have to know the router
    is correctly picking up the settings from the ISP to pass on to the
    router.

    >Is there anything I would have to do to re-configure my PC proper ?
    >
    >Any hookers, caveats, or anything I should be aware of ?
    >
    >BTW: Just so I can learn something, maybe, what is this obtaining a new IP
    >address about ?

    As ISP have to pay for addresses, they use a pool system. Buy X
    addresses for x+y customers. Not all the addresses will be in use at any
    1 time. If it is the ISP buys more.

    So the /release returns your current address to the pool (either the ISP
    or router depending on A or B), to connect you do a /renew. This
    requests an address from the pool (again either from A or B)

    Found this after typing,
    http://www.inetdaemon.com/tutorials/lan/dhcp/index.shtml
    What is, Why and Process.

    >What is actually happening, etc. ?

    See the process bit from,
    http://www.inetdaemon.com/tutorials/lan/dhcp/process.shtml

    >Much thanks, appreciate it,
    >Bob

    Me
    why?, Feb 8, 2007

  3. Robert11

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-02-08, Robert11 <> wrote:
    > Hello:
    >
    > Using Verizon DSL, and cannot connect today at all.
    > Running XP.
    >
    > It was suggested that I do a "Release and Renew"
    >
    > The steps according to the Verizon help site are:

    snip

    > Question. My PC, and my wife's are connected to Verizon thru a wireless
    > Router.
    > It was really murder setting up the Router, and I sure don't want to go thru
    > that again.
    >
    > Not all that sharp with this stuff.
    >
    > So, if I do the Verizon bit, and obtain a new IP address, does this in ANY
    > way effect what's set into the Router now
    > for its configurations, etc. ?
    >
    > Is there anything I would have to do to re-configure my PC proper ?
    >
    > Any hookers, caveats, or anything I should be aware of ?
    >
    > BTW: Just so I can learn something, maybe, what is this obtaining a new IP
    > address about ?
    > What is actually happening, etc. ?
    >
    > Much thanks, appreciate it,
    > Bob

    The instructions you found on the Verizon site are for a computer connected
    directly to the internet; they do not apply to your situation.

    If you have a "modem", you should turn that off. You should also turn off
    the "router", and log out on your computers and turn them off too.

    After a few minutes, turn the "modem" back on and wait for its lights to
    indicate that it has establsihed a connection with your ISP. Then turn on
    the "router" and wait for it to show a connection to the modem. then turn
    on your computers and log into your operating system; with any luck things
    will be working again.

    If you have a combined "modem/router" then that just makes things a littl
    easier.

    If/when you talk or email to your ISP's support people, make sure they
    understand exactly how you have your internet connection set up - at least
    tell them that you have a router or modem/router or modem and seperate
    router, and what make and model. No-one can help you in detail without
    that information.

    --
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Feb 8, 2007