    --
    Richard Lewis Haggard
    www.Haggard-And-Associates.com

    Richard Lewis Haggard, Mar 17, 2006

  2. Richard Lewis Haggard

    FedUp Guest

    On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 22:23:13 -0500, Richard Lewis Haggard wrote:

    > I have a Windows XP Pro laptop with Verizon Wireless broadband which has
    > been working well for a while. The modem broke and while replacing it,
    > something changed in the settings and now I can't figure out how to tell the
    > system to not try to use the card when it isn't plugged in. If that card is
    > not inserted, every few minutes a message box pops up, saying "Error
    > Connecting to NationalAccess - BroadbandAccess" "Opening port... Error 680:
    > There was no dial tone." It didn't use to do this. Any suggestions?

    Check your system for programs trying to do automatic updates. Also check
    for malware trying to "call home". Check your settings in IE and try
    checking the "never dial..." checkbox.

    FedUp, Mar 17, 2006

  3. Richard Lewis Haggard

    James Gockel Guest

    This sounds like spyware or malware.. or whatever you want to call it.
    As with fedup's responce You should check for spyware or spybots...
    start with lavasoft's adaware www.lavasoftusa.com
    and then (if i had their website, i'd just tell you it) but google around
    for spybot search and destroy... look for safernetworking in the website
    address.... if you have to pay for it, dont use it!!!!
    Then do a virus scan.

    -James G.

    James Gockel, Mar 17, 2006
  4. Thanks for the tips. I already have 'do not ever dial' set. I use
    Microsoft's anti spyware and it seems relatively happy.

    I don't really suspect malware. I suspect that there is some nasty
    interaction with VerizonWireless's VZAccess Manager or some other piece of
    related software. The problem started after I replaced the Kyocera 650 with
    another. When I first replaced the modem, I couldn't get it to connect. The
    person I called at VerizonWireless had me do a number of things, including
    uninstalling the software, deleting the network, recreating the network,
    standing on my head, draping chicken entrails across the keyboard and so on.
    The actual problem was that VerizonWireless customer data base needs to have
    the modem's serial number in order to authenticate access, but I didn't
    figure that out until another 3 CSR's later. Anyway, that's when I started
    having this trouble. I've tried calling for help but did not run across a
    CSR that had anything useful to contribute to the issue.

    More information, at the time that the VerizonWireless broadband cell phone
    modem software foolishly attempts to dial out on a modem that is not
    present, the WiFi connection dies. It is not clear which is the cause and
    which is the effect. It could be that the dialing happens because the WiFi
    connection had a senior moment or it could be that the WiFi connection is
    losing it because of interference from the Verizon software. Any ideas on
    how to determine the cause?

    --
    "I haven't talked to my wife in weeks. I don't like to interrupt."

    Richard Lewis Haggard, Mar 19, 2006