Verifying the integrity of the computer

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Joseph, Jan 26, 2004.

  1. Joseph

    Joseph Guest

    Hello,

    I recall seeing a thread on how to secure a computer. I have Win2000 pc
    and looking to make sure it's secure. I have Norton Anti Virus, Spybot and
    Ad-Aware. But I'm not sure if these programs would detect keystroke loggers
    or someother hacker programs.
    I did notice once - I had a message in my outbox in Outlook express and as
    soon
    as I connected my network cable - message got send. I tried to look at the
    sent log
    and there was no record of this message. So now I'm a little paranoid - not
    sure
    if there is some program sending information out my system without my
    knowledge.

    Any pointers on verifying the integrity of the system would be much
    appreciated.
    I would rather not reinstall the entire system - because I have too many
    programs I would
    need to reinstall.

    Thanks
    JS

    Joseph, Jan 26, 2004

  2. Joseph

    kulm_nd Guest

    You did not mention a firewall, are you using one? With a good firewall only
    applications you approve can send anything out.

    g-w

    kulm_nd, Jan 26, 2004

  3. "Joseph" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I recall seeing a thread on how to secure a computer. I have Win2000 pc
    > and looking to make sure it's secure. I have Norton Anti Virus, Spybot and
    > Ad-Aware. But I'm not sure if these programs would detect keystroke

    loggers
    > or someother hacker programs.
    > I did notice once - I had a message in my outbox in Outlook express and as
    > soon
    > as I connected my network cable - message got send. I tried to look at the
    > sent log
    > and there was no record of this message. So now I'm a little paranoid -

    not
    > sure
    > if there is some program sending information out my system without my
    > knowledge.
    >
    > Any pointers on verifying the integrity of the system would be much
    > appreciated.
    > I would rather not reinstall the entire system - because I have too many
    > programs I would
    > need to reinstall.

    Depends upon the scanners. Integrity can *only* be verified against a
    known-good setup (doesn't matter what the machine; heck, could even be a
    microwave - this is a universal statement!)

    If it's *just* OE, then there's a quick checklist here
    (http://www.codecutters.org/outlook); if it's suspected external
    connections, then netstat is your friend (please see sysinternals.com for
    potentially easier-to-use variants).

    HTH, and happy to be corrected..

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!

    Hairy One Kenobi, Jan 26, 2004
  4. "> You did not mention a firewall, are you using one? With a good firewall
    only
    > applications you approve can send anything out.

    Good being a loose term. Many of the so called "better" firewalls are
    actually very porous on the application control. Blackice being the first to
    comes that comes to mind.

    MickityMizack, Jan 27, 2004
  5. Joseph

    kulm_nd Guest

    Black Ice used to only check incoming packets. It may have changed but that
    meant anything that got on the computer could send out packets and Black Ice
    would not tell you..

    g-w

    kulm_nd, Jan 27, 2004
  6. Joseph

    donutbandit Guest

    "MickityMizack" <> wrote in

    > "> You did not mention a firewall, are you using one? With a good
    > firewall only
    >> applications you approve can send anything out.

    Even so, OE would have been a trusted app, so the firewall wouldn't have
    blocked it.

    donutbandit, Jan 27, 2004
  7. Joseph

    Joseph Guest

    Hmm good point - I have Siemens Speedstream device. I just have the standard
    settings.
    But I assumed any application can send data out using the 8080 port - since
    I am able
    to access the net.

    Thanks
    JS

    Joseph, Jan 27, 2004
  8. Joseph

    Joseph Guest

    HOK

    Thanks for the sites. Any utilities that might identify keystroke loggers? I
    am thinking these are the
    only apps that would be able to steal password in SSL connection.

    JS

    "Hairy One Kenobi" <abuse@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
    > "Joseph" <> wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I recall seeing a thread on how to secure a computer. I have Win2000 pc
    > > and looking to make sure it's secure. I have Norton Anti Virus, Spybot

    and
    > > Ad-Aware. But I'm not sure if these programs would detect keystroke

    > loggers
    > > or someother hacker programs.
    > > I did notice once - I had a message in my outbox in Outlook express and

    as
    > > soon
    > > as I connected my network cable - message got send. I tried to look at

    the
    > > sent log
    > > and there was no record of this message. So now I'm a little paranoid -

    > not
    > > sure
    > > if there is some program sending information out my system without my
    > > knowledge.
    > >
    > > Any pointers on verifying the integrity of the system would be much
    > > appreciated.
    > > I would rather not reinstall the entire system - because I have too many
    > > programs I would
    > > need to reinstall.

    > Depends upon the scanners. Integrity can *only* be verified against a
    > known-good setup (doesn't matter what the machine; heck, could even be a
    > microwave - this is a universal statement!)
    >
    > If it's *just* OE, then there's a quick checklist here
    > (http://www.codecutters.org/outlook); if it's suspected external
    > connections, then netstat is your friend (please see sysinternals.com for
    > potentially easier-to-use variants).
    >
    > HTH, and happy to be corrected..
    >
    > Hairy One Kenobi
    >
    > Disclaimer: the opinions expressed in this opinion do not necessarily
    > reflect the opinions of the highly-opinionated person expressing the

    opinion

    Joseph, Jan 27, 2004
  9. Joseph

    Ford Prefect Guest

    kulm_nd wrote:
    > You did not mention a firewall, are you using one? With a good firewall only
    > applications you approve can send anything out.

    Which does nothing to ensure integirty of the system. Just because you
    approved the application doesn;t mean that the system is secure.... the
    applcation itself could be compromised.

    The integirty of a system relies on more than simplky installng cirus
    checkers, firewalls and access controls.....

    Ford Prefect, Jan 27, 2004
  10. Joseph

    Chuck Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 10:55:45 -0500, "Joseph" <>
    wrote:

    >HOK
    >
    >Thanks for the sites. Any utilities that might identify keystroke loggers? I
    >am thinking these are the
    >only apps that would be able to steal password in SSL connection.
    >
    >JS

    Joseph,

    Keystroke Loggers are a type of spyware. For spyware detection and
    removal, there is none better than HijackThis, Spybot S&D, and expert
    advice at SWI Forums (all free). Complete instructions are available
    at:
    http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showtopic=5187

    Cheers,
    Chuck