Verify a Web site's integrity? Validity? Sincerity? Et cetera?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by -Lost, Aug 12, 2007.

  1. -Lost

    -Lost Guest

    I'm aware of all the standard phishing schemes and of a couple sites and
    plug-ins and whatnot that help you spot a scamming site, but my question
    is this.

    Are there sites that can tell me detailed information? Such as if there
    have ever been any bad reports about the site? Revoked certificates
    (without me having to check each and every one in my browser)? And so
    forth?

    I seem to remember a site that once explained a long list of things you
    could do to verify a Web site's identify, but have since lost the link.

    Basically, anything that can help me spot some BS in progress, besides
    just phishing would be great.

    For example, http://www.tvboxset.com/ is BS. I know this (there are
    several reasons why), but the average person may not be wise enough to
    spot certain trademark BS aspects.

    How would *that* person know that TVBoxSet dot com is shite?

    --
    -Lost
    kidding. No I am not.
    -Lost, Aug 12, 2007

  2. -Lost

    Guest

    "-Lost" <> wrote:

    >I'm aware of all the standard phishing schemes and of a couple sites and
    >plug-ins and whatnot that help you spot a scamming site, but my question
    >is this.
    >
    >Are there sites that can tell me detailed information? Such as if there
    >have ever been any bad reports about the site? Revoked certificates
    >(without me having to check each and every one in my browser)? And so
    >forth?

    Opera has a ! behind each link, if you click on it is suppose to warn
    you of a site being not being what it says it is.

    Your link http://www.tvboxset.com/ says it's not secure (no
    encryption) and

    "Verified Site

    This site has been verified by a trusted third party and is not listed
    on Opera's blacklist of suspected fraud sites.

    Please report this site if you believe it should be blacklisted."

    TrustWatch and PhishTank are involved in some way as they are
    mentioned at the bottom.

    FireFox may have some sort of plugin that does the same thing, but
    until you asked I never used it.
    --
    I will Heel You
    www.boredtodeath.co.uk/pictures/19.02.06/shoedealearpromise.jpg