    or so wicked as to lay and carry on designs against the liberties and
    properties of the subject."
    --John Locke

    Citizen Bob, Dec 9, 2006

  2. Citizen Bob

    Mike Fields Guest

    "Citizen Bob" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > How can I verify a burn with Nero without having to re-burn it?

    In version 5 of Nero, there are two parts to the answer.
    If you are burning a data CD/DVD, there is a checkbox
    in the burn dialog for "verify after burn" or something like
    that. Unfortunately, if you are burning from an ISO, it
    does not have that check box (or at least I have not been
    able to find it). For burning ISO's, you might give the
    free imgburn a shot -- works well and has the verify option.
    http://www.imgburn.com/

    mikey

    Mike Fields, Dec 9, 2006

  3. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 07:16:28 -0800, "Mike Fields"
    <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcastDOTnet> wrote:

    >If you are burning a data CD/DVD, there is a checkbox
    >in the burn dialog for "verify after burn" or something like
    >that.

    I use that when I burn a disc. I want to verify I have already burned.

    The reason is because sometimes Nero reports a bad verification
    because the disc is slightly dirty. So I clean the disc and now I want
    to re-verify what has already been burned.

    >Unfortunately, if you are burning from an ISO, it
    >does not have that check box (or at least I have not been
    >able to find it). For burning ISO's, you might give the
    >free imgburn a shot -- works well and has the verify option.
    >http://www.imgburn.com/

    I use DVD Decrypter for ISOs it has a verify. The same thing happens
    sometimes with a dirty disc so I would like to be able to re-verify
    only with that application too.

    You can use WinRAR to extract an ISO. The ISO file format is just
    another lossless compression archive like the ZIP format.

    --

    "Yet the legislative being only a fiduciary power to act for certain
    ends, there remains still in the people a supreme power to remove or

    Citizen Bob, Dec 9, 2006
  4. "Mike Fields" <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcastDOTnet> wrote in message

    > "Citizen Bob" <> wrote in message
    >> How can I verify a burn with Nero without having to re-burn it?
    >>

    > In version 5 of Nero, there are two parts to the answer.
    > If you are burning a data CD/DVD, there is a checkbox
    > in the burn dialog for "verify after burn" or something like
    > that. Unfortunately, if you are burning from an ISO, it
    > does not have that check box (or at least I have not been
    > able to find it). For burning ISO's, you might give the
    > free imgburn a shot -- works well and has the verify option.
    > http://www.imgburn.com/
    >
    > mikey

    Nero has one nasty habit which the verify does not seem to detect.
    It can only build a filesystem down to a specific number of levels. If your
    folders are nested, say, 10 levels deep (which windows does sometimes) Nero
    will only 'see' the first eight, and ignore the rest. Because it does not
    see them, it does not copy them and when it verifies, does not know that
    they are missing. The first thing I do after burning a backup is compare
    'properties' for file count and total written size.

    One day I will find or write a little recursive script to compare file sizes
    and contents.

    Stuart

    Stuart Miller, Dec 9, 2006
  5. Citizen Bob

    Mike Fields Guest

    "Stuart Miller" <> wrote in message

    > "Mike Fields" <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcastDOTnet> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Citizen Bob" <> wrote in message
    >>> How can I verify a burn with Nero without having to re-burn it?
    >>>

    >> In version 5 of Nero, there are two parts to the answer.
    >> If you are burning a data CD/DVD, there is a checkbox
    >> in the burn dialog for "verify after burn" or something like
    >> that. Unfortunately, if you are burning from an ISO, it
    >> does not have that check box (or at least I have not been
    >> able to find it). For burning ISO's, you might give the
    >> free imgburn a shot -- works well and has the verify option.
    >> http://www.imgburn.com/
    >>
    >> mikey
    >>

    > Nero has one nasty habit which the verify does not seem to detect.
    > It can only build a filesystem down to a specific number of levels. If
    > your folders are nested, say, 10 levels deep (which windows does
    > sometimes) Nero will only 'see' the first eight, and ignore the rest.
    > Because it does not see them, it does not copy them and when it
    > verifies, does not know that they are missing. The first thing I do
    > after burning a backup is compare 'properties' for file count and
    > total written size.
    >
    > One day I will find or write a little recursive script to compare file
    > sizes and contents.
    >
    > Stuart

    Interesting -- I was not aware of that "feature" (although it is not
    just a "windows thing") - take a look at the man page for tar in the
    UNIX world - somewhere in there it mentions path name lengths being
    an issue also (and I have been bitten by that one).

    mikey

    Mike Fields, Dec 9, 2006
  6. Citizen Bob

    > On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 07:16:28 -0800, "Mike Fields"
    > <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcastDOTnet> wrote:
    >
    >>If you are burning a data CD/DVD, there is a checkbox
    >>in the burn dialog for "verify after burn" or something like
    >>that.

    > I use that when I burn a disc. I want to verify I have already burned.
    >
    > The reason is because sometimes Nero reports a bad verification
    > because the disc is slightly dirty. So I clean the disc and now I want
    > to re-verify what has already been burned.

    Ah, I hadn't understood it that way. I can see possibly being able
    to verify an ISO, but not a data DVD/CD after the fact in general.
    Many people (me included) will drag folders from several places
    onto the Nero "structure" to burn, so after the fact, nothing would
    know where to look for the various folder sources. If you are
    just copying a tree of some sort, check out something like
    BeyondCompare (not free, but very good), but for when the
    chunks come from various locations, I don't know how you
    would do it.

    On the other hand, you may not need to verify the files as
    much as scan the disk for read errors. CDSpeed, DVDInfoPro
    and others will do that for you. If it shows no errors, you should
    be fine since a bad sector should give a CRC error. Of course
    if the data being fed to the burner was bad, then the sector could
    read fine, but still have the wrong data although I expect that is
    not very common.

    mikey

    Mike Fields, Dec 9, 2006
  7. On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 18:22:24 GMT, "Stuart Miller"
    <> wrote:

    >Nero has one nasty habit which the verify does not seem to detect.
    >It can only build a filesystem down to a specific number of levels.

    That's a compatibility option. Select "Allow path depth of more than 8
    directories".
    --
    RoRo

    Robert Roland, Dec 9, 2006
  8. Citizen Bob

    Quanta Guest

    "Robert Roland" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 18:22:24 GMT, "Stuart Miller"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Nero has one nasty habit which the verify does not seem to detect.
    >>It can only build a filesystem down to a specific number of levels.

    > That's a compatibility option. Select "Allow path depth of more than 8
    > directories".
    > --
    > RoRo

    Correct. Bob is looking to trash Nero. Failed.

    Quanta, Dec 9, 2006
  9. "Robert Roland" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 18:22:24 GMT, "Stuart Miller"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Nero has one nasty habit which the verify does not seem to detect.
    >>It can only build a filesystem down to a specific number of levels.

    > That's a compatibility option. Select "Allow path depth of more than 8
    > directories".
    > --
    > RoRo

    Thank you - I stand corrected on that.

    I had not seen that option, so will check for it next data dvd I burn.
    I know there are at least two different file systems for dvd's, perhaps this
    issue is addressed by one or the other

    Stuart

    Stuart Miller, Dec 10, 2006
  10. "Mike Fields" <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcastDOTnet> wrote in message

    > "Citizen Bob" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 07:16:28 -0800, "Mike Fields"
    >> <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcastDOTnet> wrote:
    >>
    >>>If you are burning a data CD/DVD, there is a checkbox
    >>>in the burn dialog for "verify after burn" or something like
    >>>that.

    >> I use that when I burn a disc. I want to verify I have already burned.
    >>
    >> The reason is because sometimes Nero reports a bad verification
    >> because the disc is slightly dirty. So I clean the disc and now I want
    >> to re-verify what has already been burned.
    >>

    > Ah, I hadn't understood it that way. I can see possibly being able
    > to verify an ISO, but not a data DVD/CD after the fact in general.
    > Many people (me included) will drag folders from several places
    > onto the Nero "structure" to burn, so after the fact, nothing would
    > know where to look for the various folder sources. If you are
    > just copying a tree of some sort, check out something like
    > BeyondCompare (not free, but very good), but for when the
    > chunks come from various locations, I don't know how you
    > would do it.

    This one is a matter of procedure.
    First I copy all the data I want on the dvd into a workspace, and verify
    filesize and file count
    Then I have a valid complete 'original' to compare the burned disc to.
    Then burn this workspace onto the dvd, verify, and delete workspace.
    This also make the copy go more smoothly when some or all of the data comes
    acoss my LAN - I don't want network issues messing up a burn.

    Stuart

    Stuart Miller, Dec 10, 2006
  11. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 11:31:02 -0800, "Mike Fields"
    <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcastDOTnet> wrote:

    >Many people (me included) will drag folders from several places
    >onto the Nero "structure" to burn, so after the fact, nothing would
    >know where to look for the various folder sources.

    It is assumed that you would inform Nero of the same source structure
    when you performed a verify-only. You could save the "project" which
    could then be re-invoked for verification.

    >On the other hand, you may not need to verify the files as
    >much as scan the disk for read errors. CDSpeed, DVDInfoPro
    >and others will do that for you.

    CDSpeed writes its own data and then verifies it. It does not verify a
    different source.

    >if the data being fed to the burner was bad,

    How can the data being fed to the burner be "bad"? If data is fed and
    it is burned then it should verify. If it doesn't then it's not the
    data that is bad.

    --

    Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a
    few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving,

    Citizen Bob, Dec 10, 2006
  12. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 05:11:39 GMT, "Stuart Miller"
    <> wrote:

    >First I copy all the data I want on the dvd into a workspace, and verify
    >filesize and file count

    I only burn from hard disk.

    >Then I have a valid complete 'original' to compare the burned disc to.

    OK, so you now burn the disk with Verify. Nero flags an error on
    Verify. You clean the disk physically with a cleaner or whatever.

    Now how do you do the compare without burning the disk again?

    I want to do a Verify Only.

    Citizen Bob, Dec 10, 2006
  13. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 15:31:00 -0800, "Quanta" <> wrote:

    >> That's a compatibility option. Select "Allow path depth of more than 8
    >> directories".

    >Correct.

    That has nothing to do with my inquiry. My source files are never more
    than one subdirectory deep. That's because I use Nero solely to burn
    AVIs (Data Disc) which I put in a single subdirectory one level off
    thr root directory.

    > Bob is looking to trash Nero.

    I am not looking to trash Nero. If I wanted to do that I would not be
    using it.

    I am looking to use Nero to Verify a previous burn on a separate run.
    The only way I can get Nero to perform a Verify is to include it as
    part of the burn process. I want to be able to run Verify alone
    without any burn process.

    I can use any other application - it doesn't have to be Nero.

    > Failed.

    You failed.

    Citizen Bob, Dec 10, 2006
  14. Citizen Bob

    > On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 11:31:02 -0800, "Mike Fields"
    > <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcastDOTnet> wrote:
    >
    >>Many people (me included) will drag folders from several places
    >>onto the Nero "structure" to burn, so after the fact, nothing would
    >>know where to look for the various folder sources.

    > It is assumed that you would inform Nero of the same source structure
    > when you performed a verify-only. You could save the "project" which
    > could then be re-invoked for verification.
    >
    >>On the other hand, you may not need to verify the files as
    >>much as scan the disk for read errors. CDSpeed, DVDInfoPro
    >>and others will do that for you.

    > CDSpeed writes its own data and then verifies it. It does not verify a
    > different source.
    >
    >>if the data being fed to the burner was bad,

    > How can the data being fed to the burner be "bad"? If data is fed and
    > it is burned then it should verify. If it doesn't then it's not the
    > data that is bad.

    First off, CDSpeed DOES include a scan disk option which is
    what I was talking about where you scan for read errors that
    does NOT require it to write to the disk at all. From the
    CDSpeed latest release page: http://www.cdspeed2000.com/
    a.. Added Advanced Disc Quality test for certain BenQ drives
    Following parameters are measured:
    CD: E11,E21,E31,E12,E22,E32,BLER,Jitter
    DVD: 1-5 PIE,PIE,PIF,POE,POF,Jitter

    b.. Disc Quality test:
    a.. Jitter can be reported with recent LiteOn drives
    b.. Added CLV and P-CAV settings for BenQ drives (CD scanning)
    c.. Added Advanced options button
    c.. Replaced 'Write and Verify' option by 'Streaming' option
    d.. Bitsetting: improved support for NEC drives
    e.. Small improvements and bug fixes
    I have used it quite often to scan a disk and see how it reads and
    it works just fine from a DVD-ROM drive that is read only.

    As far as data being "bad" if you have a cabling problem to the
    drive, you can get read/write errors where the data getting to the
    drive is corrupted (but the drive would not know that and would
    write the data to the sector and the CRC so it would look valid
    to something scanning the disk for read errors). The most common
    error you see from CD/DVD media is read problems where the
    data read and the CRC do not match. For those errors, you don't
    need to know what the data was that was written, you only need
    to know you can't read correctly what is there.

    mikey

    Mike Fields, Dec 10, 2006
  15. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 09:30:23 -0800, "Mike Fields"
    <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcastDOTnet> wrote:

    >CDSpeed DOES include a scan disk option which is
    >what I was talking about where you scan for read errors that
    >does NOT require it to write to the disk at all.

    You are correct. I have never used it that way. I have always burned
    the embedded data set first because that's what people do when they
    are testing a blank disc.

    However, as one poster pointed out the solution I am seeking is simple
    - just compare the two files side by side. The fact that they are on a
    DVD is irrelevant.

    Now I need to find a simple disk file comparison utility. Anyone have
    any suggestions for one that runs in Windows and is basically
    one-click.

    Citizen Bob, Dec 10, 2006
  16. Citizen Bob

    David Harper Guest

    > On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 09:30:23 -0800, "Mike Fields"
    > <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcastDOTnet> wrote:

    <snip>

    > However, as one poster pointed out the solution I am seeking is simple
    > - just compare the two files side by side. The fact that they are on a
    > DVD is irrelevant.
    >
    > Now I need to find a simple disk file comparison utility. Anyone have
    > any suggestions for one that runs in Windows and is basically
    > one-click.

    QVerify from http://www.edinaz.com/ will compare binary files and entire
    folders of files. It's free.

    - David Harper

    David Harper, Dec 10, 2006
  17. Citizen Bob

    Frank Guest

    On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 18:18:33 GMT, in 'rec.video.desktop',
    in article <Re: Verification>,
    (Citizen Bob) wrote:

    >Now I need to find a simple disk file comparison utility. Anyone have
    >any suggestions for one that runs in Windows and is basically
    >one-click.

    There's the command line (cmd.exe in WinNT/2K/XP and command.com in
    Win9x/Me) fc (file compare) command. Use the /b (binary) switch to
    perform a bit-accurate comparison operation. Use the /? (help) switch
    to display the syntax.

    --
    Frank, Independent Consultant, New York, NY
    [Please remove 'nojunkmail.' from address to reply via e-mail.]

    Frank, Dec 10, 2006
  18. On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 14:57:27 GMT, (Citizen Bob) wrote:

    >I am looking to use Nero to Verify a previous burn on a separate run.
    >The only way I can get Nero to perform a Verify is to include it as
    >part of the burn process. I want to be able to run Verify alone
    >without any burn process.

    The short answer is: You can't.

    The longer answer is: When Nero (or any other recording software)
    burns files to disc, it creates the ISO data structure in RAM or a
    temp file, and then sends that data to the recorder. If you create
    another ISO image, you are not guaranteed that the image is bit-by-bit
    exactly identical to the first, even if it contains the same files in
    the same order. The process of creating the ISO data structure is not
    100% predictable, so there is no way to reliably recreate the ISO
    image to verify against.

    >I can use any other application - it doesn't have to be Nero.

    You can, of course, read back all the files and compare them to the
    original files.

    If you create an ISO file on the hard disk and then burn that, you
    might be able to verify the recorded disc against the ISO file. I have
    not tried this, nor have I checked if Nero supports it, but it is, at
    least, technically possible.
    --
    RoRo

    Robert Roland, Dec 10, 2006
  19. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 18:52:13 GMT, "David Harper"
    <> wrote:

    >QVerify from http://www.edinaz.com/ will compare binary files and entire
    >folders of files. It's free.

    Thanks for the heads up. That is exactly what I was looking for.

    Citizen Bob, Dec 11, 2006
  20. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 19:25:51 GMT, Frank
    <> wrote:

    >There's the command line (cmd.exe in WinNT/2K/XP

    As an old DOS hack (assembly, C) I should have remembered that.

    Thanks but QVerify is the utility I want.

    Citizen Bob, Dec 11, 2006