Verbatim Dual Layer

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by luminos, May 29, 2004.

  1. luminos

    luminos Guest

    luminos, May 29, 2004

  2. luminos

    Mik DaDik Guest

    Why is it mistaken???

    Your own comment says PRE-ORDER... ie they are NOT yeat available..

    mik

    Mik DaDik, May 29, 2004

  3. luminos

    luminos Guest

    Original projections in the press suggested no discs generally available
    until 2005, only the discs that came with the machines would be available in
    June. So this is quite a change!

    luminos, May 29, 2004
  4. luminos

    Z Man Guest

    "luminos" <> wrote in message
    > Original projections in the press suggested no discs generally available
    > until 2005, only the discs that came with the machines would be available

    in
    > June. So this is quite a change!

    Do these DVD recorders come with media? If so, is it r or rw media? I would
    buy a dual layer recorder in a second, but I cannot find any currently
    available media any place at any price. I cannot see a good reason to buy a
    player without the media.

    Z Man, May 30, 2004
  5. luminos

    luminos Guest

    There are no DVD RW dual layer media. The recorders come with one media
    piece.

    The only change is that verbatim (that developed the media) is stating in
    press (do a Google on Verbatim DVD-DL)
    and now vendors are indicating on the web that media will ship in June.

    luminos, May 30, 2004
  6. luminos

    Biz Guest

    Biz, May 30, 2004
  7. luminos

    Z Man Guest

    "luminos" <> wrote in message
    > There are no DVD RW dual layer media. The recorders come with one media
    > piece.

    Than it is VERY expensive. Non re-recordable media for over $5.50 is a bit
    much, considering you can get standard DVD recordable media for well under
    $1.00, and I can buy DVD+RW for under one dollar, as well.

    .. I don't know if I would be willing to pay over five times the price for
    twice the capacity. Any plans for dual layer RW media?

    Z Man, May 30, 2004
  8. luminos

    luminos Guest

    I don't believe they have found a reliable changeable dye at all. All the
    scientific reports I have read rely on the light properties of a silver
    nitrate layer between the two recording layers, and this dye is not
    re-changeable---it is write once only.

    luminos, May 30, 2004
  9. luminos

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Z Man wrote:
    > "luminos" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>There are no DVD RW dual layer media. The recorders come with one media
    >>piece.

    > Than it is VERY expensive. Non re-recordable media for over $5.50 is a bit
    > much, considering you can get standard DVD recordable media for well under
    > $1.00, and I can buy DVD+RW for under one dollar, as well.

    I was struck just the opposite. A cost of between 5 and 6 dollars for
    the very first disks seems to me far less than I would have expected.
    Think back to the cose of the first DVD-R's. I think I remember them
    being over 20 dollars each.

    dick

    Dick Sidbury, May 31, 2004
  10. luminos

    luminos Guest

    "Dick Sidbury" <> wrote in message
    > Z Man wrote:
    > > "luminos" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>There are no DVD RW dual layer media. The recorders come with one media
    > >>piece.

    > > Than it is VERY expensive. Non re-recordable media for over $5.50 is a

    bit
    > > much, considering you can get standard DVD recordable media for well

    under
    > > $1.00, and I can buy DVD+RW for under one dollar, as well.

    > I was struck just the opposite. A cost of between 5 and 6 dollars for
    > the very first disks seems to me far less than I would have expected.
    > Think back to the cose of the first DVD-R's. I think I remember them
    > being over 20 dollars each.
    >
    > dick

    If this company keeps this price, I agree. They have already been released
    in Japan and are selling for US $13.50 each there. Other reports suggested
    upwards of $8 each, so I was surprised at the suggested price there.

    I am more concerned about the reliability....commercial dual layer discs are
    pretty flakey (sensitive in playback) compared to single layer.

    luminos, May 31, 2004