    for the adapter as I have installed a different adapter and still can't see
    any available networks. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Could this be a Virus? Thanks Tommy
    =?Utf-8?B?VG9tbXk=?=, Jan 29, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?VG9tbXk=?=

    Guest

    On 29-Jan-2006, "=?Utf-8?B?VG9tbXk=?=" <> wrote:

    > This was a working network, everything worked, the adapter the computer, the
    > network, and now it doesn't. The adapter is still good, so my question is
    > why can't I view available networks, I know that it is not bad drivers
    > for the adapter as I have installed a different adapter and still can't see
    > any available networks. Does anyone have any suggestions?

    WinXP has extensive diagnostics under Administrative Tools, showing
    which services are started, stopped, and how they are started, auto,
    manual, or stopped so that the don't start. There are also logs, with
    warning and error messages. You can also view the hardware status
    to find devices with error warnings to say that they aren't (or are no
    longer) working.
    Netstumbler is free software to see what networks are available to
    connect to. It is of no use if your network adapter isn't working,
    or configured properly.
    Do extensive virus and trojan scans, there is plenty of free software
    available. Start with Grisoft Free. Acronis Privacy Expert is good, and
    they do interact with their users through their forums. AdAware and
    Spybot get almost daily updates. With a battery of these you
    should find any nasties on your system.
    Generally it is not of the nature of viruses and trojans to block
    or disable network access since most try to set up backdoors
    to spy on you, so as to faciliate identity theft, install rogue
    dialers and the like. Some are malicious and destroy critical files
    putting the contents of your system beyond economic recovery.
    Hence the help, but I haven't go a backup messages.
    , Jan 29, 2006