    Wellington, Hastings, Napier, Tauranga, Hamilton, Dunedin, Nelson and
    New Plymouth with "packages of broadband, video services, internet
    television and a phone line for $50 to $60 a month[2]"

    GraB, Jan 23, 2007

  2. Re: VDSL2 coming

    What's "VDLS2"?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 23, 2007

  3. GraB

    El Chippy Guest

    Re: VDSL2 coming

    On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 05:52:43 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > What's "VDLS2"?

    A typo you anal retentive prick.. time for you to join your mate
    Mahongy/Aquilegia in the kill fle.

    El Chippy, Jan 23, 2007
  4. GraB

    Mutlley Guest

    Mutlley, Jan 23, 2007
  5. GraB

    whome Guest

    "GraB" <> wrote in message
    >I heard something on talkback radio about Orcon bringing VDSL2 to NZ,
    > leapfrogging ADSL2
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very-high-bit-rate_Digital_Subscriber_Line_2
    >
    > Orcon has signed a NZ$30 million deal with Siemens to roll out VDSL2
    > in 2007. Orcon's network will cover Auckland, Christchurch,
    > Wellington, Hastings, Napier, Tauranga, Hamilton, Dunedin, Nelson and
    > New Plymouth with "packages of broadband, video services, internet
    > television and a phone line for $50 to $60 a month[2]"

    Orcon is all talk. They are typical of a company promising the lastest
    high tech products with insufficient end-to-end business analysis.

    e,g, what modems have they picked and how do they interoperate with existing
    plant.

    What is the nature of the unbundling agreement and the associated
    limitations, eg, physical, technical, logistical, and financial.

    Are provisioning and billing systems up to speed with the new products.

    Back-end data highways enough? What if people are abusing p2p?

    Marketing aspects, eg, it would not be a good look for people to be using
    their full monthly caps in 1/2 hour. With increased speed you'd expect an
    increased cap otherwise what is the use of the extra speed?

    I am skeptical, quite rightly after being in NZ for 3 years and there has
    been mostly talk talk talk.

    whome, Jan 23, 2007
  6. On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 08:39:09 +1300, whome wrote:

    > Back-end data highways enough? What if people are abusing p2p?
    >
    > Marketing aspects, eg, it would not be a good look for people to be using
    > their full monthly caps in 1/2 hour. With increased speed you'd expect an
    > increased cap otherwise what is the use of the extra speed?

    I would expect that they would get either an increased cap or no cap at
    all.

    The idea of capping internet television transmissions is just plain stupid.

    If you've got that sort of pipe into your home you should expect to be
    able to use it.

    --
    Dianthus Mimulus

    Microsoft's business practises exposed in court:
    http://www.maxframe.com/DR/Info/fullstory/dsprgmnt.html#_Toc447960918

    Dianthus Mimulus, Jan 23, 2007
  7. On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 08:39:09 +1300, whome wrote:

    > I am skeptical, quite rightly after being in NZ for 3 years and there has
    > been mostly talk talk talk.

    Three years residence in NZ? You're not qualified to comment on what we do
    in this country. If you don't like it, go back from whence you came.

    Dianthus Mimulus, Jan 23, 2007
  8. GraB

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Dianthus Mimulus wrote:
    > On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 08:39:09 +1300, whome wrote:
    >
    >> I am skeptical, quite rightly after being in NZ for 3 years and
    >> there has been mostly talk talk talk.

    > Three years residence in NZ? You're not qualified to comment on what
    > we do in this country. If you don't like it, go back from whence you
    > came.

    Wow. I've never killfiled anyone before. Congratulations. I even had to
    Google to find out how to do it.

    Nik Coughlin, Jan 23, 2007
  9. GraB

    Chris Hope Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:

    > Dianthus Mimulus wrote:
    >> On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 08:39:09 +1300, whome wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am skeptical, quite rightly after being in NZ for 3 years and
    >>> there has been mostly talk talk talk.

    >> Three years residence in NZ? You're not qualified to comment on what
    >> we do in this country. If you don't like it, go back from whence you
    >> came.

    > Wow. I've never killfiled anyone before. Congratulations. I even
    > had to Google to find out how to do it.

    Just watch out - he changes his posting name every few weeks. The x-face
    stays the same though (if your news client supports them) so easy to
    recognise.

    Chris Hope, Jan 23, 2007
  10. On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 02:49:57 +1300, GraB wrote:

    > I heard something on talkback radio about Orcon bringing VDSL2 to NZ,
    > leapfrogging ADSL2
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very-high-bit-rate_Digital_Subscriber_Line_2
    >
    > Orcon has signed a NZ$30 million deal with Siemens to roll out VDSL2
    > in 2007. Orcon's network will cover Auckland, Christchurch,
    > Wellington, Hastings, Napier, Tauranga, Hamilton, Dunedin, Nelson and
    > New Plymouth with "packages of broadband, video services, internet
    > television and a phone line for $50 to $60 a month[2]"

    Good news!

    Dianthus Mimulus, Jan 23, 2007
  11. GraB

    whome Guest

    "Dianthus Mimulus" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 08:39:09 +1300, whome wrote:
    >
    >> I am skeptical, quite rightly after being in NZ for 3 years and there has
    >> been mostly talk talk talk.

    > Three years residence in NZ? You're not qualified to comment on what we do
    > in this country. If you don't like it, go back from whence you came.
    >

    > --
    > Dianthus Mimulus
    >
    > Microsoft's business practises exposed in court:
    > http://www.maxframe.com/DR/Info/fullstory/dsprgmnt.html#_Toc447960918

    Interesting, you are a rascist.

    To clarify (not that it should matter). I have been 'back' here for 3 years
    having been based (the big OE) in the UK and several other countries for a
    number of years.

    whome, Jan 23, 2007
  12. GraB

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Chris Hope wrote:
    > Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >
    >> Dianthus Mimulus wrote:

    >>> Three years residence in NZ? You're not qualified to comment on what
    >>> we do in this country. If you don't like it, go back from whence you
    >>> came.

    >> Wow. I've never killfiled anyone before. Congratulations. I even
    >> had to Google to find out how to do it.

    > Just watch out - he changes his posting name every few weeks. The
    > x-face stays the same though (if your news client supports them) so
    > easy to recognise.

    I know, I don't post much but I've been reading nz.comp for years :)

    Nik Coughlin, Jan 23, 2007
  13. On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 10:21:33 +1300, Chris Hope wrote:

    > Just watch out - he changes his posting name every few weeks. The x-face
    > stays the same though (if your news client supports them) so easy to
    > recognise.

    Months, mate. Not weeks.

    Dianthus Mimulus, Jan 23, 2007
  14. Dianthus Mimulus, Jan 23, 2007
  15. GraB

    Zipper Guest

    whome wrote:
    > "GraB" <> wrote in message
    >> I heard something on talkback radio about Orcon bringing VDSL2 to NZ,
    >> leapfrogging ADSL2
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very-high-bit-rate_Digital_Subscriber_Line_2
    >>
    >> Orcon has signed a NZ$30 million deal with Siemens to roll out VDSL2
    >> in 2007. Orcon's network will cover Auckland, Christchurch,
    >> Wellington, Hastings, Napier, Tauranga, Hamilton, Dunedin, Nelson and
    >> New Plymouth with "packages of broadband, video services, internet
    >> television and a phone line for $50 to $60 a month[2]"
    >>

    > Orcon is all talk. They are typical of a company promising the lastest
    > high tech products with insufficient end-to-end business analysis.
    >
    > e,g, what modems have they picked and how do they interoperate with existing
    > plant.
    >
    > What is the nature of the unbundling agreement and the associated
    > limitations, eg, physical, technical, logistical, and financial.
    >
    > Are provisioning and billing systems up to speed with the new products.
    >
    > Back-end data highways enough? What if people are abusing p2p?
    >
    > Marketing aspects, eg, it would not be a good look for people to be using
    > their full monthly caps in 1/2 hour. With increased speed you'd expect an
    > increased cap otherwise what is the use of the extra speed?
    >
    > I am skeptical, quite rightly after being in NZ for 3 years and there has
    > been mostly talk talk talk.

    Considering Orcon seem already to be offering more than other ISP's
    (static ip's, no interleaving, compeditive packages), maybe it is an
    idea to at least wait until they bring the product out before slamming
    them.

    It is one thing to criticise a product that is actually here and is
    failing but to criticise a company for making plans to try and bring
    better internet is a bit much.

    Zipper, Jan 23, 2007
  16. GraB

    > On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 10:28:00 +1300, whome wrote:
    >
    >> Interesting, you are a rascist.

    > I don't know what race you are - and I don't care to know. Your race is
    > irrelevant.
    >
    > What *country* did you come from?
    >

    > --
    > Dianthus Mimulus
    >
    > Microsoft's business practises exposed in court:
    > http://www.maxframe.com/DR/Info/fullstory/dsprgmnt.html#_Toc447960918

    NZ of course. Why does this matter?

    whome, Jan 23, 2007
  17. GraB

    whome Guest

    > Considering Orcon seem already to be offering more than other ISP's
    > (static ip's, no interleaving, compeditive packages), maybe it is an idea
    > to at least wait until they bring the product out before slamming them.
    >
    > It is one thing to criticise a product that is actually here and is
    > failing but to criticise a company for making plans to try and bring
    > better internet is a bit much.

    I've seen many overhyped products that never see the light of day. Sure,
    orcon have been twiddling with the settings of what is essentially a telecom
    product.

    I'm not saying they won't come through but I'm extremely skeptical that I
    will see vdsl in 2007. Makes for good media sound-bites though.

    Show me the money i say. My fingers are crossed.

    whome, Jan 23, 2007
  18. GraB

    bAZZ Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I heard something on talkback radio about Orcon bringing VDSL2 to NZ,
    > leapfrogging ADSL2
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very-high-bit-rate_Digital_Subscriber_Line_2
    >
    > Orcon has signed a NZ$30 million deal with Siemens to roll out VDSL2
    > in 2007. Orcon's network will cover Auckland, Christchurch,
    > Wellington, Hastings, Napier, Tauranga, Hamilton, Dunedin, Nelson and
    > New Plymouth with "packages of broadband, video services, internet
    > television and a phone line for $50 to $60 a month[2]"

    Sounds good. I had a look at their TV stuff on web (alt.tv?) but even
    with adsl it was still buffering and choppy. Maybe that is what they
    will be offering with this higher speed. Pay per view etc maybe ?

    On a related note. Does anyone know what slingshot/call plus are
    planning ? I saw the press release when they got 650 million Japanes
    investment a couple of months back but silence since. Wondered what
    offerings they would be serving up after LLUB.WiFi perhaps ?Any ideas
    anyone.

    Bazz

    bAZZ, Jan 24, 2007
  19. GraB

    Sam Guest

    Sam, Jan 24, 2007
  20. GraB

    Phil Guest

    Dianthus Mimulus wrote, On 24/01/07 11.18 a:
    > On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 10:21:33 +1300, Chris Hope wrote:
    >
    >> Just watch out - he changes his posting name every few weeks. The x-face
    >> stays the same though (if your news client supports them) so easy to
    >> recognise.

    > Months, mate. Not weeks.

    Months are made up of weeks.

    -Phil