  1. Davies

    Davies Guest

    How does one set up the computer to record from the VCR
    Davies, May 28, 2005

  2. Davies

    Chet Guest

    You need a TV tuner or Video capture device of some sort. There are several
    on the market and have different features and qualities. They may connect
    as a PCI device or through your USB. Some perform excessive compression of
    the video so that the picture isn't much good. Most include varying degrees
    of video editing software.

    I can't recommend a specific unit but with those things in mind you can
    browse the products and start narrowing down your choices.

    Chet, May 28, 2005

  3. Davies

    Chet Guest

    I meant to include the following link in my reply

    http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,118799,00.asp

    Chet, May 28, 2005
  4. Davies

    Mr Walker Guest

    Davies wrote:
    > How does one set up the computer to record from the VCR

    You can do this via a graphics card that has the capability (My VIVO for
    instance) or via a firewire input. Software is usually included with the
    products but a helpful link is;

    www.videohelp.com

    Cheers, Mr Walker.
    Mr Walker, May 29, 2005
  5. Davies

    JTJersey Guest

    On Sat, 28 May 2005 13:00:12 +0000, Davies wrote:

    > How does one set up the computer to record from the VCR

    I've been using the ADS Tech DVD Xpress to record from VCR to my computer
    with the goal of burning them to DVD. It's about $70 from Walmart or
    Tiger Direct (and other places of course) and comes with the cables and
    software you need. It attaches to your computer via USB cable. Once the
    cables are hooked up you turn on the VCR, insert your favorit VHS tape and
    click the Record button on your computer screen. You have to watch the
    video in real time as it's being recorded. After it's saved to your hard
    drive (hope you have plenty of space available) you can edit it and add
    various titles and effects then burn it to a DVD. It's a lot of fun and
    I've made dozens of DVD's from home movies and such. If your thinking
    about bootleging factory movie tapes, then your getting into copyright
    hacking software. It's out there, but it changes as the industry changes
    so what works for one movie may not work for another.
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, May 29, 2005
  6. Davies

    Caitlin Guest

    "JTJersey" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 28 May 2005 13:00:12 +0000, Davies wrote:
    >
    >> How does one set up the computer to record from the VCR

    > I've been using the ADS Tech DVD Xpress to record from VCR to my computer
    > with the goal of burning them to DVD. It's about $70 from Walmart or
    > Tiger Direct (and other places of course) and comes with the cables and
    > software you need. It attaches to your computer via USB cable. Once the
    > cables are hooked up you turn on the VCR, insert your favorit VHS tape and
    > click the Record button on your computer screen. You have to watch the
    > video in real time as it's being recorded. After it's saved to your hard
    > drive (hope you have plenty of space available) you can edit it and add
    > various titles and effects then burn it to a DVD. It's a lot of fun and
    > I've made dozens of DVD's from home movies and such. If your thinking
    > about bootleging factory movie tapes, then your getting into copyright
    > hacking software. It's out there, but it changes as the industry changes
    > so what works for one movie may not work for another.
    > --
    > Registered Linux User #267152

    Why are you reading an Australian newsgroup? Not much point telling us how
    much the card is at Walmart!
    Caitlin, May 29, 2005
  7. Davies

    SG1 Guest

    "Caitlin" <> wrote in message

    > "JTJersey" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 28 May 2005 13:00:12 +0000, Davies wrote:
    >>
    >>> How does one set up the computer to record from the VCR

    >> I've been using the ADS Tech DVD Xpress to record from VCR to my computer
    >> with the goal of burning them to DVD. It's about $70 from Walmart or
    >> Tiger Direct (and other places of course) and comes with the cables and
    >> software you need. It attaches to your computer via USB cable. Once the
    >> cables are hooked up you turn on the VCR, insert your favorit VHS tape
    >> and
    >> click the Record button on your computer screen. You have to watch the
    >> video in real time as it's being recorded. After it's saved to your hard
    >> drive (hope you have plenty of space available) you can edit it and add
    >> various titles and effects then burn it to a DVD. It's a lot of fun and
    >> I've made dozens of DVD's from home movies and such. If your thinking
    >> about bootleging factory movie tapes, then your getting into copyright
    >> hacking software. It's out there, but it changes as the industry changes
    >> so what works for one movie may not work for another.
    >> --
    >> Registered Linux User #267152
    >>

    > Why are you reading an Australian newsgroup? Not much point telling us how
    > much the card is at Walmart!

    Because the answers to problems are better here than what the seppos
    provide.
    Jim
    SG1, May 29, 2005
  8. Davies

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Caitlin wrote:
    > "JTJersey" <> wrote in message
    >

    > Why are you reading an Australian newsgroup? Not much point telling us how
    > much the card is at Walmart!

    Probably for the same reason you posted to alt.computers, when you
    assumed you were only posting to aus.computers.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, May 29, 2005
  9. Davies

    Caitlin Guest

    "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in message
    > Caitlin wrote:
    >> "JTJersey" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Why are you reading an Australian newsgroup? Not much point telling us
    >> how much the card is at Walmart!

    > Probably for the same reason you posted to alt.computers, when you assumed
    > you were only posting to aus.computers.
    >
    > --
    > Cheers
    > Oldus Fartus

    D'oh!
    Caitlin, May 30, 2005
  10. Davies

    Rod Speed Guest

    Caitlin <> wrote in message
    > JTJersey <> wrote
    >> Davies wrote

    >>> How does one set up the computer to record from the VCR

    >> I've been using the ADS Tech DVD Xpress to record from VCR to my computer
    >> with the goal of burning them to DVD. It's about $70 from Walmart or
    >> Tiger Direct (and other places of course) and comes with the cables and
    >> software you need. It attaches to your computer via USB cable. Once the
    >> cables are hooked up you turn on the VCR, insert your favorit VHS tape and
    >> click the Record button on your computer screen. You have to watch the
    >> video in real time as it's being recorded. After it's saved to your hard
    >> drive (hope you have plenty of space available) you can edit it and add
    >> various titles and effects then burn it to a DVD. It's a lot of fun and
    >> I've made dozens of DVD's from home movies and such. If your thinking
    >> about bootleging factory movie tapes, then your getting into copyright
    >> hacking software. It's out there, but it changes as the industry changes
    >> so what works for one movie may not work for another.

    > Why are you reading an Australian newsgroup?

    You dont know that he is. Its also crossposted to alt.computers.

    Rod Speed, May 30, 2005
  11. Davies

    JTJersey Guest

    On Mon, 30 May 2005 07:37:28 +1000, Caitlin wrote:

    > "JTJersey" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 28 May 2005 13:00:12 +0000, Davies wrote:
    >>
    >>> How does one set up the computer to record from the VCR

    >> I've been using the ADS Tech DVD Xpress to record from VCR to my computer
    >> with the goal of burning them to DVD. It's about $70 from Walmart or
    >> Tiger Direct (and other places of course) and comes with the cables and
    >> software you need.

    > Why are you reading an Australian newsgroup? Not much point telling us how
    > much the card is at Walmart!

    Didn't see that it was crossposted to aus.computers as well as
    alt.computer. I wish people wouldn't do that. Sorry about your not
    having any Walmarts.
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, May 30, 2005