    Ideas for available schemes are requested.

    Thanks
    Charlie

    Charlie, Jan 9, 2009

  2. Charlie

    VanguardLH Guest

    Charlie wrote:

    > Is there a reasonable solution to getting old vcr tapes onto a PC's internal
    > DVD burner?
    >
    > I was looking for away to input the video from the video camera to the PC so
    > that editing could be done on the fly.
    >
    > I know there are DVD recorders that also will play the tapes, but they are
    > too pricey. Internal DVD burners for PC's are a whole lot cheaper.
    >
    > Ideas for available schemes are requested.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Charlie

    Look at the back of your computer to see what video inputs you have.
    Read the manual for your video card, or the manual for your motherboard
    if the video is onboard. Look at the video outputs of your VCR player
    to see what types you have. Then see if they match up to the video
    inputs of your computer.

    VanguardLH, Jan 9, 2009

  3. Charlie

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 13:25:36 -0500, "Charlie" <>
    wrote:

    >Is there a reasonable solution to getting old vcr tapes onto a PC's internal
    >DVD burner?
    >
    >I was looking for away to input the video from the video camera to the PC so
    >that editing could be done on the fly.
    >
    >I know there are DVD recorders that also will play the tapes, but they are
    >too pricey. Internal DVD burners for PC's are a whole lot cheaper.
    >
    >Ideas for available schemes are requested.

    Video capture card. USB, Firewire, etc... That's probably the least
    expensive.

    Note: you'll have to do some legwork to get them onto a pc's "internal
    dvd burner".

    Evan Platt, Jan 9, 2009
  4. Charlie

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:gk84r6$26c$ "Charlie" <>
    wrote:

    > I know there are DVD recorders that also will play the tapes, but they
    > are too pricey. Internal DVD burners for PC's are a whole lot cheaper.
    >
    > Ideas for available schemes are requested.

    Look for a video card with video capture capability or buy an add-on
    card (or other device) with it. I think the keyword to look for is VIVO,
    although video tuner cards usually have video input too.

    My old PC has an Asus VS9180 with composite and S-Video inputs and
    outputs.

    The process will be time consuming, since you have to play the tapes in
    order to copy them. If your time is worth anything, you might consider
    looking for a copying service in your area.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Bert Hyman, Jan 9, 2009
  5. Charlie

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news: Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    > Note: you'll have to do some legwork to get them onto a pc's "internal
    > dvd burner".

    Don't most PCs, DVD or CD burners come with a stripped-down version of
    some software suite, which usually includes the ability to make a DVD
    from an AVI file?

    I've had more copies of Nero's OEM package than I care to count :)

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Bert Hyman, Jan 9, 2009
  6. Charlie

    Anyolmouse Guest

    "Charlie" <> wrote in message
    | Is there a reasonable solution to getting old vcr tapes onto a PC's
    internal
    | DVD burner?
    |
    | I was looking for away to input the video from the video camera to the
    PC so
    | that editing could be done on the fly.
    |
    | I know there are DVD recorders that also will play the tapes, but they
    are
    | too pricey. Internal DVD burners for PC's are a whole lot cheaper.
    |
    | Ideas for available schemes are requested.
    |
    | Thanks
    | Charlie

    Just bought a JVC model DR-MV100B DVD/VHS recorder at Sams for under
    $200.00. I have a video capture device and have used it to put some old
    8mm movies to disk. It has been a PITA and ties up my computer for long
    periods of time.

    I don't know much about the JVC except for a recommendation from a
    friend. It does DVD-R/W, DVD+, DVD-, DVD RAM and others.

    --
    Anyolmouse

    Anyolmouse, Jan 9, 2009
  7. Charlie

    Evan Platt Guest

    On 09 Jan 2009 18:48:08 GMT, Bert Hyman <> wrote:

    >Don't most PCs, DVD or CD burners come with a stripped-down version of
    >some software suite, which usually includes the ability to make a DVD
    >from an AVI file?
    >
    >I've had more copies of Nero's OEM package than I care to count :)

    Yes, they do.. I was just clarifying that from the OP's question of
    "Is there a reasonable solution to getting old vcr tapes onto a PC's
    internal DVD burner?"

    There'll be a few steps involved... Capture, convert, burn, etc..

    Evan Platt, Jan 9, 2009
  8. Charlie

    Anyolmouse Guest

    "WeReo_ScoTTy" <> wrote in message
    | "Anyolmouse" <> wrote in message
    | >
    | > "Charlie" <> wrote in message
    | > | Is there a reasonable solution to getting old vcr tapes onto a
    PC's
    | > internal
    | > | DVD burner?
    | > |
    | > | I was looking for away to input the video from the video camera to
    the
    | > PC so
    | > | that editing could be done on the fly.
    | > |
    | > | I know there are DVD recorders that also will play the tapes, but
    they
    | > are
    | > | too pricey. Internal DVD burners for PC's are a whole lot cheaper.
    | > |
    | > | Ideas for available schemes are requested.
    | > |
    | > | Thanks
    | > | Charlie
    | >
    | > Just bought a JVC model DR-MV100B DVD/VHS recorder at Sams for under
    | > $200.00. I have a video capture device and have used it to put some
    old
    | > 8mm movies to disk. It has been a PITA and ties up my computer for
    long
    | > periods of time.
    | >
    | > I don't know much about the JVC except for a recommendation from a
    | > friend. It does DVD-R/W, DVD+, DVD-, DVD RAM and others.
    | >
    | > --
    | > Anyolmouse
    | I have a lot of Super 8 movies.

    First you hook up a camera that has a video out function. Capture that
    video to your hard disk via MovieMaker, Pinnacle, or other program. Edit
    it per your satisfaction, burn to DVD or other medium.
    --
    Anyolmouse|

    Anyolmouse, Jan 9, 2009
  9. Charlie

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news: Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    > There'll be a few steps involved... Capture, convert, burn, etc..

    One more that I was just reminded of, the hard way: working around copy
    protection.

    This thread prompted me to finally get around to copying some old
    commercial VHS tapes before either they or my old VCR turn to dust.

    I dragged the VCR, cables and tapes into the basement where the old PC
    with the video capture card lives, got everything lashed up and stuck in
    the first tape (Wallace & Gromit "A Close Shave"). I recorded a few
    minutes using the Asus "Digital VCR" app that came with the card, and
    everything seemed to be working.

    But when I played back the short test recording, there was a large white
    band through the middle of the image.

    I've been MacroVisioned!

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Bert Hyman, Jan 9, 2009
  10. Charlie

    Anyolmouse Guest

    "Bert Hyman" <> wrote in message
    | In news: Evan Platt
    | <> wrote:
    |
    | > There'll be a few steps involved... Capture, convert, burn, etc..
    |
    | One more that I was just reminded of, the hard way: working around
    copy
    | protection.
    |
    | This thread prompted me to finally get around to copying some old
    | commercial VHS tapes before either they or my old VCR turn to dust.
    |
    | I dragged the VCR, cables and tapes into the basement where the old PC
    | with the video capture card lives, got everything lashed up and stuck
    in
    | the first tape (Wallace & Gromit "A Close Shave"). I recorded a few
    | minutes using the Asus "Digital VCR" app that came with the card, and
    | everything seemed to be working.
    |
    | But when I played back the short test recording, there was a large
    white
    | band through the middle of the image.
    |
    | I've been MacroVisioned!
    |
    | --
    | Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Sad, but at least you weren't sabotaged by Radioshacks wrong alcohol
    head cleaner. I received a recall notice from them after ruining two
    VCRs. :-{

    --
    Anyolmouse

    Anyolmouse, Jan 9, 2009
  11. Charlie wrote:

    > Is there a reasonable solution to getting old vcr tapes onto a PC's
    > internal DVD burner?

    Hmm. Depends upon your case. You may have a 51/4" slot free above the
    burner, so just take off it's front bezel. Enough place for the vcr tape.
    But, what will you do with it sitting there?

    > I was looking for away to input the video from the video camera to the PC
    > so that editing could be done on the fly.

    You need a framegrabber card. TV cards often have a input for composite
    (videocam) input.

    > I know there are DVD recorders that also will play the tapes, but they are
    > too pricey. Internal DVD burners for PC's are a whole lot cheaper.

    It takes some cpu power to recode the videos - dedicated software may even
    enhance quality somehow, reduce noise or jitter and allow timeline
    editing/cutting.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Jan 9, 2009
  12. Hello,

    Get a cheap TV tuner card that comes with composite inputs so you can
    capture in raw AVI for your editing.

    --
    http://www.tompangbuddy.com
    Share Cab, Carpool and Save Earth in Singapore

    TompangBuddy.Com, Jan 10, 2009
  13. Charlie

    Anyolmouse Guest

    "DemoDisk" <> wrote in message

    | "Anyolmouse" <> wrote in message
    | >
    | > "Bert Hyman" <> wrote in message
    | > | In news: Evan Platt
    | > | <> wrote:
    | > |
    etc..
    | > |
    | > | One more that I was just reminded of, the hard way: working around
    | > copy
    | > | protection.
    | > |
    | > | This thread prompted me to finally get around to copying some old
    | > | commercial VHS tapes before either they or my old VCR turn to
    dust.
    | > |
    | > | I dragged the VCR, cables and tapes into the basement where the
    old
    | PC
    | > | with the video capture card lives, got everything lashed up and
    | stuck
    | > in
    | > | the first tape (Wallace & Gromit "A Close Shave"). I recorded a
    few
    | > | minutes using the Asus "Digital VCR" app that came with the card,
    | and
    | > | everything seemed to be working.
    | > |
    | > | But when I played back the short test recording, there was a large
    | > white
    | > | band through the middle of the image.
    | > |
    | > | I've been MacroVisioned!
    | > |
    | > | --
    | > | Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
    | >
    | > Sad, but at least you weren't sabotaged by Radioshacks wrong alcohol
    | > head cleaner. I received a recall notice from them after ruining two
    | > VCRs. :-{
    |

    | Uh oh. Mind telling what head cleaner you bought from Radioshack and
    | when?
    |
    | Tnx,
    | JPM

    I don't remember exactly when. At least two or three years ago, maybe
    longer. It was their label and instead of isopropyl alcohol it had
    another type of alcohol. Don't remember if it was methanol or denatured.
    It sure messed up the transport systems. No offer from them to replace
    my equipment. Just an offer for a free head cleaner replacement, which I
    told them to put where mushrooms grow.

    --
    Anyolmouse

    Anyolmouse, Jan 10, 2009