    to DVD with the software that was bundled with the DVD unit? (Nero)
    Cheers
    Neal
    Neal Phillips, Nov 14, 2004

  2. Neal Phillips

    cowboyz Guest

    "Neal Phillips" <> wrote in message
    news:ikQld.1785$...
    > Hi all
    > sorry if this is a daft question.
    > I've googled but got a bit confused about the choices.
    >
    > I have a DVD burner in my PC and I want to copy some old VCR tapes of the
    > kids growing up to DVD.
    > What is the minimum I need?
    > I guess I need a TV card in the PC to play the VCR. Any recommendations?
    > If I get such a card will I be able to save the tape to H/D then just cut

    it
    > to DVD with the software that was bundled with the DVD unit? (Nero)
    > Cheers
    > Neal

    yes. kind of. yes.

    It is not really as simple as all that but it is. It really depends on the
    quality you are expecting. The TV card (or capture card) will come with
    enough software to capture and edit the video. You do need some serious
    grunt to produce the DVD unless you don't mind waiting. I have a XP2100 and
    it takes about 50 mins to encode 60 mins of DVD quality video ready to burn.
    cowboyz, Nov 14, 2004

  3. Neal Phillips

    Cath Guest

    On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 10:45:24 +1300, "Neal Phillips"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi all
    >sorry if this is a daft question.
    >I've googled but got a bit confused about the choices.
    >
    >I have a DVD burner in my PC and I want to copy some old VCR tapes of the
    >kids growing up to DVD.
    >What is the minimum I need?
    >I guess I need a TV card in the PC to play the VCR. Any recommendations?
    >If I get such a card will I be able to save the tape to H/D then just cut it
    >to DVD with the software that was bundled with the DVD unit? (Nero)
    >Cheers
    >Neal

    Sorry Neal, this is not going to help you!

    Out of curiosity, what is the price of t buy dual deck vcr/dvd-rw's in
    NZ?
    We were going to buy a regular dual deck for US$129 but then decided
    yesterday to buy a vcr/dvd-rw which cost $299 [on sale from 399.]
    So far, we've figured out the vcr and will do the dvd side tonight
    [after having to go and buy a movie!]

    Store said they have noticed a swing to people buying dvd-rw units to
    transfer tapes [unless they are coded not to be dubbed].

    Cath
    Cath, Nov 14, 2004
  4. >

    > yes. kind of. yes.
    >
    > It is not really as simple as all that but it is. It really depends on

    the
    > quality you are expecting. The TV card (or capture card) will come with
    > enough software to capture and edit the video. You do need some serious
    > grunt to produce the DVD unless you don't mind waiting. I have a XP2100

    and
    > it takes about 50 mins to encode 60 mins of DVD quality video ready to

    burn.

    Okay, thanks.
    I have an Athlon 2800XP with 1GB RAM and a 120 GB h/d.
    I'm not expecting great quality. Some of the tapes are pushing 20 years old
    now & I just want to get the best copy on to DVD as I can before they
    degenerate further.
    So the next step is to get a TV Card?
    Any recommendations or are they all much of a muchness?
    Thanks again
    Neal
    Neal Phillips, Nov 14, 2004
  5. Neal Phillips said the following on 15/11/2004 10:45:
    > Hi all
    > sorry if this is a daft question.
    > I've googled but got a bit confused about the choices.
    >
    > I have a DVD burner in my PC and I want to copy some old VCR tapes of the
    > kids growing up to DVD.
    > What is the minimum I need?
    > I guess I need a TV card in the PC to play the VCR. Any recommendations?
    > If I get such a card will I be able to save the tape to H/D then just cut it
    > to DVD with the software that was bundled with the DVD unit? (Nero)
    > Cheers
    > Neal

    While it sounds easy it takes a bit of experience and choosing the right
    software.
    The hardest part is getting the Audio synch'ed with the video.

    You will need to study a little so here are some sites, which unless you
    start with the basics first will only confuse you.

    http://www.digital-digest.com/
    http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html
    http://www.virtualdub.org/
    http://www.videohelp.com/capture#9;50
    the last one being a good starting point.

    Very good results can be achieved using the right software and settings,
    in fact almost better than the original.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    Collector»NZ, Nov 14, 2004
  6. > I'm not expecting great quality. Some of the tapes are pushing 20 years old
    > now & I just want to get the best copy on to DVD as I can before they
    > degenerate further.
    > So the next step is to get a TV Card?

    Don't forget it can be extremely time consuming to setup, record, edit
    and burn. You might want to ask yourself how much is your time worth ?

    Some people are happy to spend absolutely hours nd hours doing stuff,
    some people prefer to pay others to do it and get it done quicker. It's
    a bit like mowing the lawns :)

    If you add up the cost of buying more hardware (tv card, got enough hdd
    space ?, blank dvd disks), your time and how much you have to transfer.
    It may be more cost effective to send to a video converter people and
    pay for it.
    -=[Waylon Smithers]=-, Nov 14, 2004
  7. Neal Phillips

    Invisible Guest

    On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:26:55 +1300, Collector»NZ <>
    wrote:

    >Neal Phillips said the following on 15/11/2004 10:45:
    >> Hi all
    >> sorry if this is a daft question.
    >> I've googled but got a bit confused about the choices.
    >>
    >> I have a DVD burner in my PC and I want to copy some old VCR tapes of the
    >> kids growing up to DVD.
    >> What is the minimum I need?
    >> I guess I need a TV card in the PC to play the VCR. Any recommendations?
    >> If I get such a card will I be able to save the tape to H/D then just cut it
    >> to DVD with the software that was bundled with the DVD unit? (Nero)
    >> Cheers
    >> Neal
    >>

    >While it sounds easy it takes a bit of experience and choosing the right
    >software.
    >The hardest part is getting the Audio synch'ed with the video.

    That's why I could not be bothered farting around with capture cards, so I
    bought a Canopus ADVC100. No frame loss, no sync problems. Plus it can strip
    macrovision. Less than twice the cost of a decent capture card, and a lot less
    hassle :)
    Invisible, Nov 14, 2004
  8. Neal Phillips

    Geronimo Guest

    On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:30:18 +1300, "-=[Waylon Smithers]=-"
    <lifestyles_choice@springfield_nuclear_plant.com> wrote:

    >> I'm not expecting great quality. Some of the tapes are pushing 20 years old
    >> now & I just want to get the best copy on to DVD as I can before they
    >> degenerate further.
    >> So the next step is to get a TV Card?

    >Don't forget it can be extremely time consuming to setup, record, edit
    >and burn. You might want to ask yourself how much is your time worth ?
    >
    >Some people are happy to spend absolutely hours nd hours doing stuff,
    >some people prefer to pay others to do it and get it done quicker. It's
    >a bit like mowing the lawns :)
    >
    >If you add up the cost of buying more hardware (tv card, got enough hdd
    >space ?, blank dvd disks), your time and how much you have to transfer.
    >It may be more cost effective to send to a video converter people and
    >pay for it.

    Very Very True
    Geronimo, Nov 14, 2004
  9. Neal Phillips

    Invisible Guest

    On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:10:05 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:

    >"Neal Phillips" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi all
    >> sorry if this is a daft question.
    >> I've googled but got a bit confused about the choices.
    >>
    >> I have a DVD burner in my PC and I want to copy some old VCR tapes of the
    >> kids growing up to DVD.
    >> What is the minimum I need?
    >> I guess I need a TV card in the PC to play the VCR. Any recommendations?
    >> If I get such a card will I be able to save the tape to H/D then just cut

    >it
    >> to DVD with the software that was bundled with the DVD unit? (Nero)
    >> Cheers
    >> Neal
    >>

    >yes. kind of. yes.
    >
    >It is not really as simple as all that but it is. It really depends on the
    >quality you are expecting. The TV card (or capture card) will come with
    >enough software to capture and edit the video. You do need some serious
    >grunt to produce the DVD unless you don't mind waiting. I have a XP2100 and
    >it takes about 50 mins to encode 60 mins of DVD quality video ready to burn.

    50mins? Shit, it took me 18 hours to encode a 115 minute DV-AVI on an XP2700...
    6 or 8hrs for 45 mins. But that was with 2-pass VBR on Tmpgenc.
    Invisible, Nov 14, 2004
  10. > Very Very True

    OK, so who's faking posts from Woger ?!!

    I mean, c'mon, agreeing with something someone said ?!! And agreeing
    with me ?!!

    Either it's new meds Woger or a good ol' faked post.
    -=[Waylon Smithers]=-, Nov 14, 2004
  11. Neal Phillips

    cowboyz Guest

    "Invisible" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:10:05 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:
    >

    > >"Neal Phillips" <> wrote in message
    > >> Hi all
    > >> sorry if this is a daft question.
    > >> I've googled but got a bit confused about the choices.
    > >>
    > >> I have a DVD burner in my PC and I want to copy some old VCR tapes of

    the
    > >> kids growing up to DVD.
    > >> What is the minimum I need?
    > >> I guess I need a TV card in the PC to play the VCR. Any

    recommendations?
    > >> If I get such a card will I be able to save the tape to H/D then just

    cut
    > >it
    > >> to DVD with the software that was bundled with the DVD unit? (Nero)
    > >> Cheers
    > >> Neal
    > >>

    > >yes. kind of. yes.
    > >
    > >It is not really as simple as all that but it is. It really depends on

    the
    > >quality you are expecting. The TV card (or capture card) will come with
    > >enough software to capture and edit the video. You do need some serious
    > >grunt to produce the DVD unless you don't mind waiting. I have a XP2100

    and
    > >it takes about 50 mins to encode 60 mins of DVD quality video ready to

    burn.

    > 50mins? Shit, it took me 18 hours to encode a 115 minute DV-AVI on an

    XP2700...
    > 6 or 8hrs for 45 mins. But that was with 2-pass VBR on Tmpgenc.

    I used to use tmpgenc and thats why I stopped. Win DVDcreator is somewhat
    faster but still pisses me off waiting for it. You may want to look into
    NeoDVD for realtime conversion of AVI to DVD as well. That is quite good
    but the results vary somewhat. You can play any AVI file and it records
    onto DVD on the fly. But no editing functions for video.
    cowboyz, Nov 14, 2004
  12. Re: VCR to DVD. Thanks for all answers

    Thanks to all.
    Some good stuff there and plenty to read before I go any further.
    Cheers
    Neal
    Neal Phillips, Nov 14, 2004
  13. Neal Phillips

    Invisible Guest

    On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 12:21:58 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:

    >I used to use tmpgenc and thats why I stopped. Win DVDcreator is somewhat
    >faster but still pisses me off waiting for it. You may want to look into
    >NeoDVD for realtime conversion of AVI to DVD as well. That is quite good
    >but the results vary somewhat. You can play any AVI file and it records
    >onto DVD on the fly. But no editing functions for video.

    Cheers, I'll check it out. Tmp doesn't really bother me at the moment, I just
    leave it going overnight. But no doubt in time it will piss me off.
    Invisible, Nov 14, 2004
  14. Neal Phillips

    Geronimo Guest

    On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 12:17:56 +1300, "-=[Waylon Smithers]=-"
    <lifestyles_choice@springfield_nuclear_plant.com> wrote:

    >> Very Very True

    >OK, so who's faking posts from Woger ?!!
    >
    >I mean, c'mon, agreeing with something someone said ?!! And agreeing
    >with me ?!!
    >
    >Either it's new meds Woger or a good ol' faked post.

    No you posted some very common sense info and help..
    Geronimo, Nov 14, 2004
  15. Neal Phillips

    JohnO Guest

    > Hi all
    > sorry if this is a daft question.
    > I've googled but got a bit confused about the choices.
    >
    > I have a DVD burner in my PC and I want to copy some old VCR tapes of the
    > kids growing up to DVD.
    > What is the minimum I need?
    > I guess I need a TV card in the PC to play the VCR. Any recommendations?
    > If I get such a card will I be able to save the tape to H/D then just cut

    it
    > to DVD with the software that was bundled with the DVD unit? (Nero)
    > Cheers
    > Neal

    It can be done. Unless you have a powerful PC get a card with hardware MPEG
    encoding onboard (Hauppauge PVR250, PixelView PlayTV@P7000 etc). These cost
    around $180-$500 whereas the non hardware encoding cards are around $70.

    Next, if you really do need to dice and slice the captured video, you'll
    need an MPEG editor. Despite what others say, there *are* some MPEG editors
    around, such as Womble.
    JohnO, Nov 15, 2004
  16. Neal Phillips

    JohnO Guest

    "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message
    > Neal Phillips said the following on 15/11/2004 10:45:
    > > Hi all
    > > sorry if this is a daft question.
    > > I've googled but got a bit confused about the choices.
    > >
    > > I have a DVD burner in my PC and I want to copy some old VCR tapes of

    the
    > > kids growing up to DVD.
    > > What is the minimum I need?
    > > I guess I need a TV card in the PC to play the VCR. Any recommendations?
    > > If I get such a card will I be able to save the tape to H/D then just

    cut it
    > > to DVD with the software that was bundled with the DVD unit? (Nero)
    > > Cheers
    > > Neal
    > >

    > While it sounds easy it takes a bit of experience and choosing the right
    > software.
    > The hardest part is getting the Audio synch'ed with the video.
    >
    > You will need to study a little so here are some sites, which unless you
    > start with the basics first will only confuse you.
    >
    > http://www.digital-digest.com/
    > http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html
    > http://www.virtualdub.org/
    > http://www.videohelp.com/capture#9;50
    > the last one being a good starting point.
    >
    > Very good results can be achieved using the right software and settings,
    > in fact almost better than the original.
    >
    > --

    All too hard for a newbie. Just download Womble MPEG editor trial version
    and edit the captured MPEG directly.
    JohnO, Nov 15, 2004
  17. In article <ikQld.1785$> in nz.comp on Mon, 15
    Nov 2004 10:45:24 +1300, Neal Phillips
    <> says...
    > Hi all
    > sorry if this is a daft question.
    > I've googled but got a bit confused about the choices.
    >
    > I have a DVD burner in my PC and I want to copy some old VCR tapes of the
    > kids growing up to DVD.
    > What is the minimum I need?
    > I guess I need a TV card in the PC to play the VCR. Any recommendations?
    > If I get such a card will I be able to save the tape to H/D then just cut it
    > to DVD with the software that was bundled with the DVD unit? (Nero)
    > Cheers
    > Neal

    You need
    - Analogue capture card
    - OR digital camcorder and Firewire card (the camcorder acts as an A/D
    convertor
    - Editing software (usually supplied with the card)
    - Lots of free HDD space
    - A fast CPU (I'd recommend at least 1 GB)
    - DVD authoring software
    - DVD writer

    Alternatively for the last two items SVCD can be used instead, with a
    standard CD writer.

    See www.vcdhelp.com for more info.
    Patrick Dunford, Nov 15, 2004
  18. In article <cn8m9s$voq$> in nz.comp on Mon, 15 Nov 2004
    11:30:18 +1300, -=[Waylon Smithers]=-
    <lifestyles_choice@springfield_nuclear_plant.com> says...
    > > I'm not expecting great quality. Some of the tapes are pushing 20 years old
    > > now & I just want to get the best copy on to DVD as I can before they
    > > degenerate further.
    > > So the next step is to get a TV Card?

    > Don't forget it can be extremely time consuming to setup, record, edit
    > and burn. You might want to ask yourself how much is your time worth ?
    >
    > Some people are happy to spend absolutely hours nd hours doing stuff,
    > some people prefer to pay others to do it and get it done quicker. It's
    > a bit like mowing the lawns :)
    >
    > If you add up the cost of buying more hardware (tv card, got enough hdd
    > space ?, blank dvd disks), your time and how much you have to transfer.
    > It may be more cost effective to send to a video converter people and
    > pay for it.

    Indeed.

    I just took 90 minutes off 8 mm tapes recently. The following steps are
    involved:
    1. Capture - at least 90 minutes
    2. Any editing - minimum probably half an hour even if no editing is
    done, you have to split the capture files into whatever size to suit the
    capacity of the media you're recording to.
    3. Rendering and saving to Disk (in this case still in DV) probably 1
    hour or so.
    4. MPEG2 encoding for SVCD, in this case using a slow freeware tool,
    about 12 hours, can be left unattended
    5. Authoring - again free software - around 30 minutes for 3 SVCDs
    6. Burning - depending on speed burned at, around 15 minutes.

    Plus 18 GB of disk space for the capture, allowing for editing and
    authoring at least 40 GB is needed.
    Patrick Dunford, Nov 15, 2004
  19. In article <> in nz.comp on
    Mon, 15 Nov 2004 12:09:13 +1300, Invisible <> says...
    > On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:10:05 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:
    >

    > >"Neal Phillips" <> wrote in message
    > >> Hi all
    > >> sorry if this is a daft question.
    > >> I've googled but got a bit confused about the choices.
    > >>
    > >> I have a DVD burner in my PC and I want to copy some old VCR tapes of the
    > >> kids growing up to DVD.
    > >> What is the minimum I need?
    > >> I guess I need a TV card in the PC to play the VCR. Any recommendations?
    > >> If I get such a card will I be able to save the tape to H/D then just cut

    > >it
    > >> to DVD with the software that was bundled with the DVD unit? (Nero)
    > >> Cheers
    > >> Neal
    > >>

    > >yes. kind of. yes.
    > >
    > >It is not really as simple as all that but it is. It really depends on the
    > >quality you are expecting. The TV card (or capture card) will come with
    > >enough software to capture and edit the video. You do need some serious
    > >grunt to produce the DVD unless you don't mind waiting. I have a XP2100 and
    > >it takes about 50 mins to encode 60 mins of DVD quality video ready to burn.
    > >

    > 50mins? Shit, it took me 18 hours to encode a 115 minute DV-AVI on an XP2700...
    > 6 or 8hrs for 45 mins. But that was with 2-pass VBR on Tmpgenc.

    bbMpeg takes around 4 hours for 30 minutes worth (DV AVI to SVCD) -
    XP2600.
    Patrick Dunford, Nov 15, 2004
  20. In article <mySld.1846$> in nz.comp on Mon, 15
    Nov 2004 13:15:13 +1300, JohnO <> says...

    > "Neal Phillips" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi all
    > > sorry if this is a daft question.
    > > I've googled but got a bit confused about the choices.
    > >
    > > I have a DVD burner in my PC and I want to copy some old VCR tapes of the
    > > kids growing up to DVD.
    > > What is the minimum I need?
    > > I guess I need a TV card in the PC to play the VCR. Any recommendations?
    > > If I get such a card will I be able to save the tape to H/D then just cut

    > it
    > > to DVD with the software that was bundled with the DVD unit? (Nero)
    > > Cheers
    > > Neal
    > >

    > It can be done. Unless you have a powerful PC get a card with hardware MPEG
    > encoding onboard (Hauppauge PVR250, PixelView PlayTV@P7000 etc). These cost
    > around $180-$500 whereas the non hardware encoding cards are around $70.
    >
    > Next, if you really do need to dice and slice the captured video, you'll
    > need an MPEG editor. Despite what others say, there *are* some MPEG editors
    > around, such as Womble.

    However, MPEG is not ideal for editing, as it is compressed already,
    resulting in loss of information.

    This may not be such a big deal from VHS, but from DV the quality loss
    would be substantial.
    Patrick Dunford, Nov 15, 2004